Unnamed Mekanism Stuff in NEI

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
So I saw that Aiden has an issue (currently closed due to being impossible to duplicate) on this on his Mek issues page. A friend of mine hung out in IRC to talk to others about this issue, which seems to be uncommon but does happen to users of various modpacks. I really want to fix this or at least find the cause of it because it's extremely annoying to build Mek machines (or anything, really) without NEI.

1. In the Mekanism lang file (located in the jar), everything defined between the Salination Block and the Plastic Block suddenly appears "Unnamed" in NEI. (Lines 84-116). A search for "unnamed" only brings up Mek items. This happened to me in the ModSauce modpack (ATLauncher) as well as my own personal modpack. It did not happen immediately. It doesn't matter if I have WAILA turned on or not. If I make a new world, Mekanism items continue to be unnamed.

2. If I make an entirely new profile in the Minecraft launcher, copy the mods and saves over, and play, Mekanism items are named again. For awhile. Then they become unnamed.

3. Sending my game save to a person without unnamed Mekanism items doesn't cause his items to become unnamed.

4. Updating Forge and deleting NEI.dat has no effect.

5. Removing Mekanism, loading a world, and then re-adding Mekanism has no effect.

I have gone through (with a friend) some of Aiden's source code and read a few threads on the issue. I can't find any weird characters in the LANG file. There is nothing in the Minecraft log that seems off. Others who report on this issue say that it has happened with other mods, but for me it's only a Mekanism problem.

People seem to be split on the cause of this issue. Some blame Forge, some blame inter-mod interaction, some blame Mekanism.

To understand what is happening and try to figure out how to replicate the issue, I need to know more about how NEI does its thing. I'm not really up for reading the sources for Forge, NEI, or any more of Mekanism, and it wouldn't be too useful because I'm not much of a programmer. All of my programming experience was over a decade ago in Perl, C, and Python. So what is NEI doing to get names and recipes, and at what stage does it do it? Any other insight into this issue would be most welcome, including any thoughts about whether this is a Forge, NEI, or Mekanism issue.

Ritt

Jul 29, 2019
I have attempted to replicate this issue without success so far. I'm not versed enough in the code we're talking about to say anything useful about that, but I suspect this to be a mod-mod interaction. Another thing I'd suggest trying if you haven't done so already is to set up your pack as a MultiMC instance to see if the problem still occurs. Good luck!