Unleashed v1.1.3 and Dynmap compatibility

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, I want to apologize if this is the wrong sub-forum. Edit: Maybe I should have put this in the Server Admin forum?

I am a server admin for my clans private Feed The Beast server, currently running Unleashed 1.1.3 with the world files carried over from 1.1.0 using Minecraft 1.5.2. We have enabled the following mods wh ch are disabled by default: Biomes o'Plenty, Nether Ores, Vending and Xenos Reliquary.

We have MCPC+ running with Essentials and PermissionsEX.

We are considering setting up Dynmap as our world is quite large and alot of people have been exploring (we currently do not have a border limit) and would like dynmap installed to keep track of the different biomes and just because it would be nice to see the whole world map.

After searching the forums I found around 7 threads reporting crashes and bugs when dynmap is installed. I was wondering if anyone has managed to setup Dynmap for Unleashed v1.1.3 on 1.5.2 and have the server stable. Our server is running on our clans private dedicated server and not via a hosting service such as CreeperHost.

Thanks in advanced.

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
Do we need to have asp.net installed as our main server admin just said it killed our main box along with our minecraft server. (I'm still at work).

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Do we need to have asp.net installed as our main server admin just said it killed our main box along with our minecraft server. (I'm still at work).

No, why would you assume you need asp.net? It's not listed anywhere in any of the dynmap documents that I know of?

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
If your using iis7 on your server you need to have asp.net installed. The dynmap itself didn't break our dedicated box but Microsoft did. We're slowing getting it back up. We're fixing it as we speak.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
If your using iis7 on your server you need to have asp.net installed. The dynmap itself didn't break our dedicated box but Microsoft did. We're slowing getting it back up. We're fixing it as we speak.

ah, gotcha...yeah, not sure about that...I run my MC servers off straight linux, skinned down to the bone.

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem is we don't like asp.net and java programs running on our dedicated box as they have massive security leaks, especially once we have our dynmap url setup. Even if we kept it private (only shared between our minecraft server users) it's still a risk. We're fixing that though. :D

None us know Linux code so fixing stuff etc would be hard work. Might setup Linux on my PC and see what its like. I know Valve are pushing hard to get more PC users to start using Linux for gaming.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
The only problem is we don't like asp.net and java programs running on our dedicated box as they have massive security leaks, especially once we have our dynmap url setup. Even if we kept it private (only shared between our minecraft server users) it's still a risk. We're fixing that though. :D

None us know Linux code so fixing stuff etc would be hard work. Might setup Linux on my PC and see what its like. I know Valve are pushing hard to get more PC users to start using Linux for gaming.

Linux isn't actually that too hard to use :p just takes a little getting used to, there's more documentation on how to use Linux than there is on Windows.

You have to use something called "SSH" and you simply direct yourself to different folders using the command:
cd /var/lib/mysql or cd /luke/minecraft

Then you execute your server.jar by simply running:
java -jar server.jar

Of course, you have custom fields that you can use to give the performance a little boost and you need to allocate ram and Permgen, plus I like to use screen (I'm old fashioned) so..
screen -dmS minecraft java -Xmx1500M -Xms1500M -jar myserver.jar

It may look like a headache to begin with, but it's very easy to do the basics :)

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
Is MCPC+ really needed for dynmap? I remember that on 1.4.7 we just used it with a normal forge server.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Is MCPC+ really needed for dynmap? I remember that on 1.4.7 we just used it with a normal forge server.

I'm not sure on that one, I don't think it is (FTB is forge based, MCPC adds bukkit support), so dynmap should work on ftb without MCPC...however, MCPC increases performance in most cases as well as adds bukkit support, so it's a win win.

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I added dynmap to my FTB UnLeashed 1.1.2 just by dropping in the .jar and opening the port so I don't think you NEED to add anything. Works like a charm and is very well done!

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
The installation instructions seem to imply you can use it either directly as a mod, or if you have MCPC, as a bukkit plugin?

Have to play with this some... this looks nice and I had no idea it even existed!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
The installation instructions seem to imply you can use it either directly as a mod, or if you have MCPC, as a bukkit plugin?

Have to play with this some... this looks nice and I had no idea it even existed!

If you have MCPC it still needs to be used as a mod, not a plugin. Since forge is installed in FTB, even if you use the bukkit version of dynmap it doesn't like to play nice.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it works just fine in my FTB Unleashed 1.1.2 server as a mod ;)

Seems some of the BoP stuff isn't rendering properly, but the vast majority is. Nice!

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the bump but i just wanna give an update. Some of the Biomes o'Plenty biomes do not render properly but thats not an issue as 95% of the map is okay.

We got our dedicated box back up and running last night and finally go around setting up Minecraft again. We have Dynmap running fine except for a couple of minor issues which i believe are just config settings which we're going to sort out tomorrow. I have a few questions if i may, seeing as its on the same subject.

We're running PermissionsEx as stated before, is it possible to setup a permission so certain groups can force a [/dynmap fullrender] or is it only /op? No one on our server is /op, even the admins or 'owner' as we are trying to lower the temptation for people to spawn items in. On that subject, does the map autoupdate? As an example, if i set off a nuke at spawn, would it generate on the map or does it require a render pass for it to do so?

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I just recently added this to my server that was already running and I found that as each chunk updates it will fill in the area but that is pretty slow going if the area is already complete. I ran around putting down torches and then picking them up after a minute and it did make the map render but it is pretty tedious!

If you start building or nuking stuff it will definitely update the map and it is pretty quick about it too.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
We're running PermissionsEx as stated before, is it possible to setup a permission so certain groups can force a [/dynmap fullrender] or is it only /op? No one on our server is /op, even the admins or 'owner' as we are trying to lower the temptation for people to spawn items in. On that subject, does the map autoupdate? As an example, if i set off a nuke at spawn, would it generate on the map or does it require a render pass for it to do so?

The dynmap wiki talks about this doesn't it?

It should be updating dynamically as things change. It won't be immediate - there's a queue - but you should not have to kick a render update manually.

Note that you should be doing an update and not a fullrender. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of time.

(I also have the same issues with biomesoplenty. A few other mods too, like dartcraft - forge engines don't render)

FullMetalMonkey

Jul 29, 2019
Draeath - Thanks. I just checking the map this morning and found that it had updated automatically as i'd placed a ton of rubber trees around my home and checked a short while ago and saw they were on the map.

We fully setup now except for showing players and chat which is something we can fix ourselves. I have found an oddity though. When we did our initial full render, a couple of players were on the server at the time and since that first full render, they haven't disappeared from the map. Is there a fix for this or will adding the live players option solve that?

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Odd. I had people on when I did mine and had nothing like that - but I had live players enabled from the start.

It's worth a try! I noticed when turning offline players on, it didn't "notice" them until it saw them log out for the first time since enabling the feature.