Solved Unable to join private server

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Ackapus

Dec 2, 2019
EDIT UPDATE: After uninstall/reinstall on server, client, and Java, and further network security tricks, tried running a test server on the same machine as client. Unable to connect, with the same messages in logs as noted below.

Wiped all versions of Minecraft from computer, reinstalled latest modpack (1.13.2) for server and client. In Mods folder, moved out all .JAR files for mods from server and client installs. Was then able to connect from local client to server hosted both on my own PC and on my server PC, over both local IP and WAN IP (through local router port forwarding.)

So a certain mod is somehow blocking my and only my computer from joining multiplayer games. I tried swapping out groups of mods (groups of 5, by first letter, etc) but every time I take out just some of the mods the server and client don't start and I get weird errors about missing classes.

Any advice on how to isolate a problem like this?

/EDIT

Running DW20's latest pack, v1.13.2

Server sits in the same room. Got two other players on the server, one is in the same room with me and connects locally, other lives on the other side of town and has a worse computer than mine.

I've cut the view distance down to 8 and added -Dfml.readTimeout=120 to the server start.bat file's java.exe arguments and to my own modpack instance Java runtime arguments. Both server and my client are set to 8GB max memory. I also shut down my antivirus while running the game. However, the timeout happens in about 35-40 seconds regardless of the readTimeout value I have (first tried it at 60, then 90).

Local client just gives the connection closed by host error, or says it failed to connect. Server console says it's disconnecting me (gives identity value for my profile and skin): Took too long to log in.

This is especially aggrieving as I just spent two hours troubleshooting the server in the first place because somehow, even though it defaults to port 25565, it couldn't be seen on port 24242 with all the same network configuration as it's had before (I used to run on a port 3484), but works on all those settings when run on the old port. My Space Engineers server doesn't complain about a port in that range. And I know all the network settings are kosher when the server pings from WAN address and people outside my house can play.

Has anyone tried to wrangle this before, just one computer that has issue with a pack? I was fine playing on the 1.6.1 version of DW20's pack for MC 1.16. Am I using the Java argument wrong, even? From my start.bat file:
java.exe -javaagent:log4jfix/Log4jPatcher-1.0.0.jar -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -Xmx8192M -Xms4096M -Dfml.readTimeout=120 -jar forge-1.16.5-36.2.22.jar nogui pause

I've even put the Java console for my local game on high priority in Task Manager.
Heck, even made sure both the server and my local computer are using the same version of Java.

I've seen in other forums that the readTimeout argument still works, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. What else can I do?

Last edited:

LionAce

Apr 14, 2022
I've experienced the same thing some time ago, so there are a few things one can do:

Playerside:
Reinstall your mod profile.

Serverside:
Remove the Playerdata
Reinstall Forge
Reinstall the whole server (note that the world can be imported back into the server)

Ackapus

Dec 2, 2019
I reinstalled the server and my client- both just the instance and by removing Forge and all versions of Minecraft from the computer.
Removing the playerdata didn't seem to help either.

I also sometimes get the "existing connection was forcibly closed" javaIO error.

Ackapus

Dec 2, 2019
So I wiped out my client using Revo uninstaller, made sure I got all of the Overwolf carrier and FTB app. Also reinstalled the server from scratch. All to no avail.

After that, I did some testing. On the same server/client pair of computers, I ran the following versions with these results:

Vanilla 1.18.1 connected
Vanilla 1.16.5 (the version DW20's latest runs on) connected
DW20 v1.13.2 (latest, still beta) fails
DW20 v1.12.0 (latest full release) fails
DW20 v1.11.0 fails
DW20 v1.10.1 connects

From 1.10.1 to 1.11.0 there were two mods added:
catalogue-1.3.0-1.16.5.jar
configured-1.1.2-1.16.3.jar
I reinstalled the 1.11.0 version and removed both of them, but still failed to connect. The list of updated mods is pretty much the entire pack, though. I started trying to remove mods in blocks to home in on the problem but almost every time I try to remove a few mods, the game and server don't start. I have a feeling there's a number of library mods that others are dependent on, but I don't know the dependencies.

Does anyone know if any mod changes could block communication between the host and client like this?

Ackapus

Dec 2, 2019
Dug into the log files for the server and the client after trying some different ports. While I found the v1.11.0 would hook up with the two additional mods using a new port, v1.13.2 of the modpack still doesn't connect.

Referenced the timestamps in the latest.log and debug.log files and the only thing I see going wrong is a few lines about the Render thread "Could not find uniform named resolution in the specified shader program" right before first connecting, and then once again about forty-five seconds after initial connection is made.

Is there even another log that would have more information?