Ultratech design discussion

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm reading more here than on the Minecraft Forums, and I see enough people interested in mods and how they work that I think this might be fruitful....

Some of you know that I've been working on Ultratech for over a year now, but that it's almost entirely design only. Since I'm basically unable to code, but am good at design, that's kind of what I've been doing the whole time. Yes, I've been studying Java recently, and I used to be good with Python. For some reason, while I can do most of the math involved and make reasonable strides on design, I am simply unable to put most code together and have it make sense to me. Even Lua makes my head spin anymore, which makes for a very sad Zeeth. :(

Coding issues aside, I'd like to use this thread to open discussion on Ultratech, its design, and its philosophy.

With that in mind, here's a sketch-in-words of Ultratech's basic content map:

Tier 0: Hand tools and basic armor. Specific tools you get include a mortar and pestle for grinding (insert a stack of material in the single inventory slot and hold right click to grind ore to dusts, stone to sand, and so on; output drops onto the player like with an Ex Nihilo sifter), and a crucible that you insert materials and then smelt in a furnace to make alloys and whatnot. (I know exactly how I'll do that, too! Metadata can go up to ~65k; so if you insert a valid recipe the crucible will change metadata while retaining its contents. Smelt it and the contents change to the result, a different crucible metadata. Invalid recipes can't be smelted.) You also get a filter cloth that you use to purify some materials, like carbon. Alloys at Tier 0 include bronze, brass, tinplate, and steel (at increased cost and workload than later steel-making mechanics).

Also you get an abacus.

Tier 1: Basic mechanical power. Hand tools include the screwdriver (all Ultratech machines should have alt functions accessible with any wrench or screwdriver!) and the jackhammer (a mining tool which requires power and a cutting head to work). At this point you get your basic machines: the furnace, the smelter (an upgrade of the crucible, which doubles for alloy production and silicon doping like in RedPower), the rolling machine (makes plates, springs, pipes, rails, and a few other things), and the jaw crusher (mechanical ore crushing, produces gravels with 85% chance of doubling). You get a construction table, a crafting block which can swap between a 3x3 square grid and a 7-slot hex grid, and has an inventory on the side. Upgraded construction tables add more grids, which can let you craft multiple steps of an item in one go. All basic machines can have their power systems upgraded, so you can choose which type of power to use. Or you can power many of them with a hand crank (or fuel, for the furnace and smelter) instead of automating it.

You get some basic factory stuff, like air pumps, pneumatic tubes (and upgradable injectors to move items with your tubes), conveyor belts, and so on. Get enough resource flow and you can make a ball mill for improved resource processing (gravels and extra dusts, with a higher chance of ore doubling). Eventually a multiblock blast furnace becomes available for steel making, which in the real world works best if you process pig iron (high-carbon iron chunks) and have a continuous flow of solid metal in vs liquid metal out for heat retention. I'm not sure if I'll actually use pig iron as such, though.

All the power systems in Tier 1 are mechanical, transferring power between gearboxes using axles. Gearboxes need gears in them to activate each face you're using, and different gears have different qualities; alternately, you can insert springs to store a little bit of mechanical energy. You get power from various sources including steam, wind, water, and walking (treadmills). On top of that, I'm planning some very steampunk toys (and costumes!) for this level.

Aside from springs in gearboxes, there will also be multiblock flywheels and water tanks for power storage. (Fluids in Ultratech pipes will have gravity and pressure physics to them, meaning you'll be able to dump water from a tank into a turbine to make power. Fill the tank to store power instead.)

I'm torn between implementing Newtons (the Newton-meter is the SI unit of torque, which is a combination of rotational force and velocity) or using RF for measuring mechanical power, so I'd like some advice and suggestions here.

Tier 2: Low-energy electric power. This is where you can start generating energy with basic electrical generators. Inserting electric motors and heating coils instead of gearboxes and coal make things even easier. Tesla coils, electric fences, and a few other fun and crazy gadgets become practical. You can also make solar panels and thermoelectric units here, as well as begin making electronic computers to replace your mechanical brains.

Basic power storage is the battery box (and rechargeable batteries) for small-scale power, and the vanadium flow battery for large-scale power. I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts on other electrical power storage systems I could provide. I'd also like some advice on whether to use someone else's electricity API or make my own and add conversion blocks. I know I'll be making dynamos and motors for exchanging electrical and mechanical power, though.

Tier 3: High-energy electric power. Now you can make electric arc furnaces to less wastefully run small-batch steel production, the kind most players do. The toys at this level start to get ridiculous and really dangerous, including nuclear reactors (several kinds) and lasers.

Resource production takes big leaps up with the disc mill and the bucket-wheel excavator:
* The disc mill is basically an IsaMill, and will be about 4x4x10 blocks in size. It'll most likely provide three dusts per ore (which may be a slight mix of resources) at large cost in resources and power, but it should be pretty efficient if you have a lot of a single type of ore to process.
* The bucket-wheel excavator will be ENORMOUS. It will also move slowly, consume a lot of power, and require a pilot to operate. On the other hand it will take HUGE, FAT bites out of the landscape, devour mountains, and make a Buildcraft quarry feel pathetic as you dig down to make a REAL pit quarry with it. Sure, I'll let you power it with steam, but for power-to-weight ratios, you need power-hungry electric motors in there. This is built in-world as a multiblock which transforms into a vehicle entity when complete.

Tier 4: Exotic energy systems. This is pretty vaguely defined, but we're basically talking self-powered systems that don't produce electrical wattage or mechanical energy. Stuff like encapsulated singularities, fractal/warp/ender power, and so on. At this point, your energy systems will interact with each other to trigger cascades of effects. Magic and science tend to become one at this tier, it's mostly just a name swap.

Side trees:
* Chemistry, which gives you pills, plastics and fuels; leads up to nanotech; and eventually produces materials from raw energy. I was working on a steam-powered multiblock refinery just like DMillerW posted in the mod updates thread (his will be for Buildcraft), but he beat me to it without knowing I was making something like that. (So, do you guys think I should continue to work on it?)
* Sensors, which gives you telescopy, radar, geological survey machines, mob detection, and combines with other mechanics to let you load chunks, teleport, and cross dimensional barriers.
* Magic and alchemy, because it's already in Minecraft, and seems like fun. You could start Tier 4 the minute you start grinding opals to dust and crafting new potions.
* Powered armor, which gives you exoskeletal armor, the slimsuit (like a Quantum Suit), modular powered armor, and then robot armor (aka mecha, which will have at least one large size and could go giant). You also get flight packs, personal shields, and other, similar upgrades if you want to go lightweight. On top of that, you can make a diving suit and hose for your air compressor so you don't have to hold your breath underwater, and then as your material production improves you can make SCUBA gear instead.
* Computing, which lets you automate your factories, and make computers and robots. Your abacus gets upgrades here.
* Vehicles, which provide transportation options for you and your stuff. Hovercraft, rocket planes (or missiles), better small boats, and even a flying saucer are included here.
* Weapons, which include powerful swords, guns, and bombs of various kinds. Including a pneumatic potato gun.
* Costumes! This mod lets you become a steampunk inventor, a mad scientist, a flying rocketeer, and a few other fun characters, so why not let you dress the part? All costumes are armor sets which can be enchanted, so you don't have to miss the wither-killing party just because your goggles aren't made of diamond or sapphire. (Actually, yes they are. With a targeting HUD and laser beams if it can be pulled off.)
I think that's most of it. It's a pretty darn complex mod, and some of it may never be pulled off, but I'll darn well try to give you guys something worthy of the name UltraTech.

So with that, I'm throwing this thread open for free discussion. Keep in mind, I don't have all mechanics finalized, I didn't mention all the ores, alloys, and materials in the mod, and there's plenty still up in the air. Volunteers welcome, UltraTech is meant to be Open Source!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Nice idea- but if your coding skills are like mine (equivalent to Dinnerbone's skill in game design), you'll probably want to start off with simpler stuff (like adding a new version of stone brick), and build up your skills from there.
I'm not saying it can't be done- all of your idea seem feasable within MC, you'll need godly levels of patience and dedication to pull it off.
Tl-DR -- Go for it!!

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Nice idea- but if your coding skills are like mine (equivalent to Dinnerbone's skill in game design), you'll probably want to start off with simpler stuff (like adding a new version of stone brick), and build up your skills from there.
I'm not saying it can't be done- all of your idea seem feasable within MC, you'll need godly levels of patience and dedication to pull it off.
Tl-DR -- Go for it!!
Oh, I have a handful of other mod ideas to work with. See, the rollout of Ultratech will be in stages. First, oregen and basic machine blocks. Next, improved worldgen and some functional blocks and tools, then finishing up Tier 0 and moving on to Tier 1, and so on. There's not a whole lot decorative in the mod. Ultimately "a new version of stone brick" is "Hello World" for modding -- something you discard once you see it working properly. Of course I'll make one, but that doesn't mean I'll show it to anyone else.

Other mod ideas I could be working on:
* "Dock and Sail", which would provide modular boat and ship vehicles (hopefully including functional submarines), docks with ship-to-land interfaces, shipyards, boat towing (for horse-drawn canals and tugboat functionality), customizable sails/insignia (a bit like CraftHeraldry), flags on ropes (thus letting people make flagpoles on land), even lock-and-dam structures with water pumps for raising and lowering the water level (controllable remotely).
* "Mighty Fermentation", a mod all about fermenting and (some) distillation. Cheese, yogurt, sauerkraut/kimchi, beer, cider, liquor, and other fermented foods and beverages. Lots and lots of plants in this one.
* "Bells and Whistles", in which you make... well... bells, whistles, and organ pipes. This might be the simplest of the set (fewest blocks, items, and materials), but it still has multiblock structures and fluid interaction for casting bells from bell molds. Also, lots and lots of audio work locating, making, and converting royalty-free sound files for your ringable, tootable toys.

But Ultratech is my favorite, and I want to do right by it. Semper Ultra!

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Contains abacus. 10/10 would play
In all seriousness though I (admittedly) skimmed rough the idea and liked it overall

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
I am also on very edge of understanding forge. I am pretty fluent with c++, php, python, javascript, c# and java (don't ask why so many, job occupaction demands it), and I have to admit that forge with minecraft is the most crazies API that I seen in my life. Most likely it's because of forge is built on top minecraft code, so there is no direct integration, only wrapping around, so whole modding act is more complicated than it should be. With forge it's better to take small steps. Yesterday I did code my working (nearly) set of custom armor. It took me 1,5 week to gather needed informations to do it. Python is almost Java so go on.

But about mod ideas.

Tubing system. There is mod called Tubes!, it's open source. Consider contributing code, or making integration for it. There is no point in doing duplications.

Vehicles. Hover craft. I am really interested how you can pull it off. There are not so many mods that brings transportation systems for players. I would really like to see one that can do it right.

About the power system. It sounds like thing that is implemented by Reika. Maybe electric system similiar to RP2 one? It was pretty cool. Most problems that I have with power systems in minecraft is that they are so simple. You can calculate everything from top of your head. I don't really like it. I would enjoy a system that brings little bit of challenge and will be unique. Not just static values but also some randomness.

Other that above, it sounds wonderful.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I'll look into Tubes. As for vehicles, it looks to me like Flan's vehicle mod is a step in the right direction, as is Steve's Carts (which has a special seat if you actually want to sit in your modified cart). However, a Steve's cart only rides on rails, and Flan's cars float and drift like errant balloons with propellors on them. Getting the physics right with these vehicles will be of particular importance.

Yes, I noticed RotaryCraft has the full torque and gearing system. If I went that way, I'd go for a reduced-complexity version (just the Newtons/s for mechanical power), but with more realistic electrical power like RedPower. I like abstractions, but I loved how RP2's energy net worked.

Honestly, the overall vision of Ultratech could probably be broken into almost a dozen different mods and still make sense as a modpack. You've got your upgradable basic machines, ore processing (small and large scale), powered armor and stompy mecha, a big mining machine (I could add more to the design sketch if i wanted, like dump trucks and steam shovels), chemistry and nanotech, steampunk mechanisms, several power systems (small, large, and exotic), gravity/pressure based pipes and materials transport, vehicles (I could shove a monorail or maglev transport system with functional rail-suspension mechanics in here as well), another new magic system that works with vanilla-style brewing and adds controllable enchanting, interdimensional devices and mechanics, computing and robotics, and plenty more.

The heart of Ultratech is that I want a progression from basic to exotic, with a focus on the exotic and high-end, as incentive to make your way through the crafting slog, which is why there is also automatable handling and processing of materials (I don't want to remake GregTech, but I'd be lying if I didn't say the complexity of his machines was inspirational -- it inspired me to simplify my own recipes). If I were to strip Ultratech down all the way, I'd probably focus on the big and amazing parts, with a few inter-mod compatibility functions like translation to other power systems. The rest of the mod is about supporting the awesome bits, with a few in-jokes tucked away in the corners.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds alot like Resonant Induction
Looking into Resonant Induction, yes, superficially this does sound like it. Any electric-themed mod with realistic power sources would, and in particular, RI with its "Ages" theme is similar to Ultratech's Tiers, and since there are only so many ways to transport and process things, of course some of those ways are going to be alike. I would say that the mechanics and systems of these two mods are not actually as closely alike as you would think.

This is why I need to actually code a working mod, darnit: So the arguments about who looks like who will have some substance to them!

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
Didnt say the mod itself was anything like it, just that the idea sounds very much like Calclavias ideas for Resonant Induction. Doesnt mean your mod has to be anything like it when it gets put together ;)

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
About the power system. It sounds like thing that is implemented by Reika. Maybe electric system similiar to RP2 one? It was pretty cool. Most problems that I have with power systems in minecraft is that they are so simple. You can calculate everything from top of your head. I don't really like it. I would enjoy a system that brings little bit of challenge and will be unique. Not just static values but also some randomness.
When you get into values that aren't "static", you get randomness, and randomness is never fun when you're trying to be precise. One of the problems with RP2, other than the documentation, is that everything didn't add up. Values for the saturation of cables and such were derpy particularly with the larger volt cables. It didn't make sense, and it didn't work well. People always built far more than what was need in order to get the amount of power necessary to do whatever it wast they were doing. Everything in RP2 cost very little power, and people would make large power systems that could handle far more than they had. Making things more "realistic and complex" will just end up confusing people and causing unnecessary lag.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
but with more realistic electrical power like RedPower.

I'm going to jump in here real quick and say that if you want a "more realistic" electrical power system, you should take a look at ElectriCraft for an example of how it's done in MC. I never played with RP2, so I don't know if it's anything similar, but Reika is known for staying as realistic as possible, and he's stated that ElectriCraft is meant to be realistic.

Zeeth_Kyrah

Jul 29, 2019
There were two things in the 1.4.7 of RP2 that used lots of power: the Blulectric engine could use up to 30 megawatts to produce its energy (it produced a lot of MJ for what you spent, but self-regulated to the amount requested per tick, thus often using less power than it could potentially produce), and super-sized frame machines with large power requirements meant big battery recharging stations. Either one could empty battery boxes like a giant given a snack-size candy bar. Then you had sorting machines and other blulectric devices in active mode, which could draw a decent amount of power if you let them. That said, most sorting systems never needed more than four solar panels or thermopiles.

I didn't spend hours trying to fix exact numbers on the (rather large) saturation value of high-voltage cabling, because all I needed to know was that one windmill and 4 solar panels was normally much more than sufficient for my power needs once the cable finished saturating, and that I didn't really need a pair of transformers to run cable to my basement. But it still took longer than desirable to saturate that heavy cable. It really was meant for a much longer distance than I needed to worry about.

Some basic qualities of RP2's energy net are useful to consider: each block in the system had a maximum energy saturation in watts (providing a buffer if your cabling had tick lag, which I don't think ever happened to me), voltage and amperage as separate values, and resistance to current. Every part of the network stabilized at the overall flow rate of the system. TE's energy conduits, as far as I understand them, carry a collective single amount of energy per network, and don't need to worry about the "bouncing voltage" effect that Bluelectric wires had (an actual problem of real-world energy systems). Combining these concepts should give me plenty of working room, honestly.

I looked at a demo video for ElectriCraft, and honestly, it looks good but the power halving is a strange mechanic, particularly in AC power, where the wire transmits a resonant signal rather than sending electron flow directly. In AC, voltage is amplitude in the pressure wave while amperage is carrier bandwidth, ie, the volume of the medium; in DC it's simpler, voltage is pressure while amperage is volume or flow rate; either way, it's the amperage which is split proportional to the resistance, but it's amperage over resistance which determines inductance heating in the line, because smaller wires have more resistance due to less bandwidth. That's why the coils on an electric stove top are a fat, heavy resistor with a ceramic coating: so they don't burn out even as they get hot enough to cook with. So I'm pretty sure AC power doesn't split quite the way it was depicted. Anyway, that's why we have substations and neighborhood power systems that provide appropriate wattage at a fixed voltage on demand.

That said, I'm not really interested in maximised realism, or all the DC-styled energy systems we've seen so far would require a return path for the directional flow! I'm happy letting Reika go the route of realism for its own sake, but it's still a simplified model. We just happen to have all the numbers available to us, unlike with RedPower, where so much effort and experimentation was invested in finding the values Eloraam coded into her mod (because so few understood how to decompile the code and didn't want to reveal information for fear of offending her).

Arouka

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta say, I know where you're at. Been conceptualizing a mod for a year or two now and haven't had the skill to code any of it yet. Best of luck to you, and I hope you are able to successfully make this genius mod idea a reality.

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like a cool idea, though I can see it requiring a lot of coding work. I really hope you're able to pull it off, though!

I too am a really big fan of the GregTech idea of high-tier machines with great requirements both for resources, power and space. Having to build a proper factory hall to contain his machines was kind of awesome, I have to say. Minecraft enables you to build big structures, but there is rarely an incentive to do so (apart from "it looks cool"). A mod whose content requires you to think big when building your base, gets a huge plus in my book. Perhaps a garage for the bucket excavator, or a Mecha Assembly Hall, or something would be in order.

By the way, if you do worldgen, please give underwater content some attention. Oceans have always been the dullest part of Minecraft, with little to no incentive whatsoever to explore the ocean floor. All that water makes it really tedious to Quarry there as well, and your computer will start to hate you for all the calculations of fluid behaviour. Perhaps you could do something like an offshore platform, which will dig out ores under the sea floor? It could work like Mekanism's Digital Miner, by digging out ore and replacing the blocks with Cobblestone or Dirt or what have you, to reduce lag. Real oil platforms sometimes inject water into the reservoir, so they can pump out oil without reducing the pressure down there. A similar setup that "squeezes" ores out of the rock, and replaces them with filler blocks to avoid unwieldy gaps, could be an apparatus well worth the effort to build a sea-based base for.