Ultra Hardcore suggestions (1.6.4)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
Depends- the gregrecipe 1Eu/t solars are ok; you need to cover a fairly large area, and wire them all in. (You're averaging less than 0.5Eu/t/day/block)
Compact/advanced ones produce too much free power for a single unit.

And theres a few free energy systems which are pretty neat
(extrabees making soulsand, and loading it into the industrial centrifuge. The start of a processing chain that makes fertiliser, BC fuel, nitro-diesel and diamonds/steel/carbon plates.)

Complex free energy develops a lot of gameplay and requires ingenuity from the player, making a solar panel 512 times and slapping them into a crafting table adds nothing extra to the game- and kills a lot of the complex/fun systems.
Indeed, that is what I mean. Setting up a tree farm and burning the logs or crafting 512 solar panels is really lame. Complex and expensive passive energy is more acceptable.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
On hunger overhaul, how did you verify that trees didn't grow faster? I felt they grew at the same rate on a multifarm but thought it was due to how they worked. Crops seem to grow more slowly though.
Using MFR tree farm (not fertilised), which uses just normal growth mechanics, there was no noticeable reduction in tree growth. Wanted still to have tree farms, just not really a suitable source of power (aka the charcoal power).

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
One other thing I found that changed a lot was not using chunkloaders. When I do the math assuming it was a day I played one hour, a single solar panel would net me, even sleeping each night, about 70k eu. That one solar panel with a chunkloaders would net
me over 1 million eu in one real life day.

So these OP sources get a lot less powerful if you don't use chunkloaders. It's made the game more challenging than any other change I made.

I use compact solars but I don't think they are too bad with gregtech. Without easy auto mining options they do cost a TON of resources and gregtech does require a ton of power.

But after a few of these discussions here reading other people's ideas, I'm toying with the idea of trying to eliminate all free sources of energy. Would it be possible to only use Coal and oil?

Or with Forestry set to Hard even charcoal becomes a finite resource. Hmm

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Chunkloaders are really a much needed thing in modded Minecraft, but the bane of servers. I personally enjoy MC more single player, purely because once I turn off, nothing happens in the world. On a server, if you can only play 2 hours a day normally, the chunkloader gives you a 12x boost to the most valuable resource - time.
Only one chunkloader I'm aware off is designed to be active only when the player who made it is online. All chunkloaders should be like that.

I've always hated tree growth in Minecraft (along with infinite milk from one cow, and near instant wool regrowth, ease of food production, and no need for all that food). It's so fast, there's no such thing as deforestation (unless on a very busy vanilla server). Combined with the magical extra energy you get from Charcoal will always make it better. Charcoal should only be slightly better then Logs (as charcoal is a slow burning source of energy). Does forestry configs affect all trees, or just it's stuff, or does the config just affect it's farms, so any other farming options will then be more efficient?
There's a lot of fundamental "balance" flaws within Minecraft, which really mess with mods that are designed within these flaws.

Question you need to ask yourself, once you've used up all the coal/oil that is worth obtaining, what will you use for power then? There does need to me a more advanced form of power, and that's the so called "renewable" such as wind/solar/tidal, which needs either some system that is large to build and each component only producing a small amount of power, or something that is small to build, but needing the same amount of resources.
Yes, there are more advanced forms of energy based on "Nuclear" offered by various mods, but these will still be a non-renewable source of power.
At some point (just like the real world), you'll burn up everything, and be left in the dark.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've always hated tree growth in Minecraft (along with infinite milk from one cow, and near instant wool regrowth, ease of food production, and no need for all that food). It's so fast, there's no such thing as deforestation (unless on a very busy vanilla server). Combined with the magical extra energy you get from Charcoal will always make it better. Charcoal should only be slightly better then Logs (as charcoal is a slow burning source of energy)

(Please don't use this as an excuse for politics/flame wars/rage ect- gameplay discussion only)

Give Better than Wolves a try- the later changes cover all of that; as well as a lot of other fixes.
things like the vanilla light level bug that lets you see in total darkness.
or certain biomes being inherently 'safe' at night.
and some fairly sweet changes to mob behaviour...

(yes I'm being intentionally vague- a lot of stuff is best discovered by the player)​

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Chunkloaders are really a much needed thing in modded Minecraft, but the bane of servers. I personally enjoy MC more single player, purely because once I turn off, nothing happens in the world. On a server, if you can only play 2 hours a day normally, the chunkloader gives you a 12x boost to the most valuable resource - time.
Only one chunkloader I'm aware off is designed to be active only when the player who made it is online. All chunkloaders should be like that.

I've always hated tree growth in Minecraft (along with infinite milk from one cow, and near instant wool regrowth, ease of food production, and no need for all that food). It's so fast, there's no such thing as deforestation (unless on a very busy vanilla server). Combined with the magical extra energy you get from Charcoal will always make it better. Charcoal should only be slightly better then Logs (as charcoal is a slow burning source of energy). Does forestry configs affect all trees, or just it's stuff, or does the config just affect it's farms, so any other farming options will then be more efficient?
There's a lot of fundamental "balance" flaws within Minecraft, which really mess with mods that are designed within these flaws.

Question you need to ask yourself, once you've used up all the coal/oil that is worth obtaining, what will you use for power then? There does need to me a more advanced form of power, and that's the so called "renewable" such as wind/solar/tidal, which needs either some system that is large to build and each component only producing a small amount of power, or something that is small to build, but needing the same amount of resources.
Yes, there are more advanced forms of energy based on "Nuclear" offered by various mods, but these will still be a non-renewable source of power.
At some point (just like the real world), you'll burn up everything, and be left in the dark.

Forestry affects how fast fertilizer gets used up. I think it does more but I can't remember it ATM and am on phone.

Gregtech and solar panels offer long term power and more ideal balance since the solars are very expensive. Plus coal and apatite are basically infinite.

But I see your point. Might be fun to try though. :)

Hunger overhaul can make trees slower to grow. I have it set at 2x for all trees and crops but I'm toying with the idea of 10x for trees and 4x for plants.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Coal and the like will be near infinite, but there will be added costs to getting those resources back to your powerplant, especially if avoiding dimensional transport options.

I think I used 4x for trees, and didn't notice any real difference. Also used 4x for plants, and that was more noticable.

I'm aware off BTW, but that's too much of a conversion, and besides, can't use all these excellent mods :D (can't rage either, never used it, never seen a need for raging)
What we need is a mod that's a bit like Hunger Overhaul, but just allows you to config the base time settings for things to take place (tree growth, etc) without adding in/changing a ton of extra stuff.

Reactions: zorn

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Took my fair share:

-Iguanatweaks made it so if i die. 1000 blocks away.
-Hunger overhaul set to no seeds on drop without harvestcraft. On 150% of vanilla hunger loss.
-No normal vanilla tools exept wooden axe's + wooden picks
- Flint comes after that, Tcon style.

Thats my difficulty :3

(Also the need to find a village is amazing :D)

Reactions: zorn