Ultra Hardcore suggestions (1.6.4)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I started a new world/pack on SSP not long ago centered on GregTech and playing in a challenging enviroment. Some of my friends liked the idea and want a SMP server for the 4 of us on his comp.

But alot of my pack is geared to SSP, so I was hoping to get some suggestions like what I saw in the "Ask a simple..." thread for making an ulrta hardcore server modpack. I could use ideas for config tweaks as well as mods in general. We are wanting to base it off Tech World 2 or DW20's 1.6.4 pack but are open to any ideas. So far, this is what I want to bring from my SSP pack:

More Health RPG setup to start with only 5 hearts. Gain up to 10 more upon reaching XP levels to be agreed on later, and 5 more hearts strictly from heart containers in dungeons.

No health regen and alot of other nerfs from Hunger Overhaul.

Custom Ore Gen, no vanilla ore gen if we can help it, using either COG2 or COFH World or both. Havent decided on veins or clouds, will probably do both...

GregTech and all its various hardcore changes.
Using Configs and Minetweaker, my SSP stye of requiring some sort of processing in order to get ingots, be it maceration or using the TiCon smeltery, or Gregs Hammers/mortars before that.

If we include TE or other tech mods, they will obviously require steel and any other "hardcore changes" configs can provide...

What I didnt do in SSP was mess with fuel values and things of that nature. I havent got a clue where to start the math for those things, so suggetsions of that nature are very appreciated. Maybe some other config tweaks that aren't as obvious ? Really anything you want to suggest is appreciated guys. Thanks for your time...

PS.: my friend plans to record our adventures once we start the server, so when we do, I will post her LP if she doesn't

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
How difficult would you like it? Hunger overhaul will hurt bad by itself. Add in nether ores with the config enabled that makes pigmen attack you for mining anything there, and random explosions for mining in the nether maybe too. Also strip it down to one or two power types (EU, RF, MJ, or UE) to force you to go through specific tech trees rather than have too many options to "get around" problems. Disable free energy sources like solar, and lock out lava power from the nether. Require all builds to physically move things more than 2 chunks away (so no super long distance tesseracts/enderchests).

Are those the kind of suggestions you were looking for?

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I modified dw20 to do kind of what you are aiming for. Its 'kinda hard'. We disabled morph, portal gun, gravity gun, ender storage, computer craft, mystcraft and qcraft and all Chickenbones mods except NEI. Then disabled ender lillies, golden bags of holding, Tesseracts from TE.

Added gregtech, compact solars, compact windmills, Hungeroverhaul, Dungeon Pack.

Other changes with configs:

TiC smeltery only outputs 1 ingot per ore.
TiC paper and stone tools disabled.
ore and essence berry bushes disabled.
Nether quartz not usable for AE recipes.
AE power costs increased 5x.
MFR uses gregtech recipes (try making harvester upgrades after this lol)
MFR power requirements increased. (still fiddling with exact numbers, most people said to up them by 10x, im going with 5x at the moment)
MPS uses gregtech recipes, power draw increased, and armor value reduced so you do not get invulnerability.
Railcraft blast furnace disabled.
Quarries 5x more power draw.
TE3 recipes require steel and diamonds.

So far it worked pretty well, but next world i will be cutting fuel values for TE3 dynamos by maybe 10%. Dungeon pack kind of screwed things up, Gregtech has a defaults setting that boosts dungeon loot... with Dungeon Pack it meant we could get a stack of steel pretty fast from dungeons to make Te3 machines. Also i forgot to disable the railcraft plate machine, it screws up gregtech progression, and I forgot to disable steel in the TE3 smelter.

TiC tools are nice for building. I wanted basalt for a base, i hammered out a volcano. Without easy auto mining, vanilla tools would have been crazy slow taking down a volcano. So the TiC tools kind of balance out vs gregtech. Plus no paper or stone tools kills a lot of the worst Op-ness of TiC. (Also smeltery at 1 ingot per ore). I dont get too much time to play, so to me the TiC tools were one kind of OP item that sped up progression a bit. Still, im 4 real life weeks into the world and have only hand mined so far.

One thing on hungeroverhaul: if you dont use Pams Harvestcraft and keep the defaults setting where grass doesnt drop seeds, its almost impossible. Even Iguana Man said when I asked that pams harvest craft is really needed. In his main post he says its recommended, but you really need it. OR enable seeds dropping from grass.

Even then, hunger isnt an issue after awhile.

Id also disable morpheus next time, and Sleeping Bags. Between those two , people on my server never see night time. :/

One other thing is backpacks. There is a forestry backpack that lets you carry food, once you make it, the idea of reduced stack sizes for food due to Hungeroverhaul all disappear. If I had it to do over again, id have disabled all project Red backpacks and forestry backpacks. The TIC backpack is great becaue you can only have one of them, and its fairly expensive. Or use Iguana Tweaks and enable the weight option. not sure how that would work with backpacks though, but it makes it that people can't just carry 100 ores back from their mine, it pushes people to make... minecarts! Minecarts in a mine to transport ores, what a crazy idea right?? lol.

Im still on the fence about that option though.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Yes these are exactly the kind of suggestions I was hoping for. Thank you very much. Hunger Overhaul's no health regen is balanced by a small mod that adds medpacks, but I want to make the medpack's recipes harder, although as I experienced on SSP, at a certain point, using an item to heal, even though it takes up an extra inventory space might actually make it easier. I will have to limit the stack size on those, and maybe add a natural health regen back, just much much slower, but also leave the food drain it causes on. That way, you will heal very slowly, but it wont effect combat. You'd have to run away and take at least 5 minutes to heal or something like that, IDK.

Nadias asked for some mods that actually make the pack, not just hard, so she wants magic and her first request was ars magica 2. Does that mod screw up the GT tech tree or anything like that ?

Also, I know alot of people go for tweaking things to make quarries less powerful and things like that to make collecting resources harder, but with Custom Ore Gen, this is done pretty well already I think. Should I still worry about those sort of tweaks ?

-edit- Sorry, another series of questions, we were speaking about plugins and agree we'd like to avoid them as much as we can. We want to use Securit Craft or Better Storage to lock doors instead of LWC or somethin. We'd like to use GT vending or a mod like that instead of ChestShop or something. I may still like to use something which controls permissions to build in a certain area possibly, but I like the options Security Craft offers for some things...Anyone have any mods that add SMP functionality of that nature ?

Last edited:

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I modified dw20 to do kind of what you are aiming for...
... Minecarts in a mine to transport ores, what a crazy idea right?? lol.
Do you have a server ? If so could I check it out ?

And using Custom Ore Gen and forcing encumberance and lowering stack sizes, forces minecart/donkey use, sounds kind of cool. Especially if I use COG's Clouds generation, I could make real "Mines" with rail systems to transport ore, much more realistic I think...But would this severely cripple early progression ? I like being forced to build infrastructure, but finding the ore just to get started may be too tough this way, so I'm not sure what to do...Maybe enable oreberry bushes and gravel ores ? idk...[DOUBLEPOST=1393522478][/DOUBLEPOST]
Really important thing for UHC.
Don't die. ;)
Im not sure if I'd really use the actual Hardcore mode, or just keep it on Hard. Dieing is goin to be inevitable, but with MoreHealthRPG, i can have it reset our hearts back to 5 when we die, and lose all XP, but keep hunger levels to keep it hard. There's a mod called Hardcore Questing Mode where you get "LIves" and in the future there will be ways you can gain more of them, I am looking into that, but I'm not sure about it. Do we really wanna start over everytime we die ? lol

Reactions: RealSketch

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I highly recommend checking out my signature for suggestions/ideas. The mod I wrote for Sleepless Horrors is a good addition to any server looking to end the ability to sleep (assuming other things that let you sleep like sleeping bags are also disabled). I also highly recommend poaching some of the other "hardcore"-like packs for ideas on what to add for your server as people's opinions on what is "hard" tends to vary widely.

Reactions: zorn and RealSketch

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Funny you should mention it, I was actually checking out SH yesterday, it looks pretty interesting. On my SSP, I use TimeScaler to make the day/night cycle 3x longer, so never being able to sleep will really add some scare factor to that, and give purpose to all the traps and defensive stuff I have in my pack. I just hope I dont find myself sitting in a cobble 3x3 waiting for daytime bored to death. I dont trust myself to be brave if I am low on health and there's 5 walkers outside...

That reminds me, does anyone know of a way/mod that allows zombies to break doors on normal mode ?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Funny you should mention it, I was actually checking out SH yesterday, it looks pretty interesting. On my SSP, I use TimeScaler to make the day/night cycle 3x longer, so never being able to sleep will really add some scare factor to that, and give purpose to all the traps and defensive stuff I have in my pack. I just hope I dont find myself sitting in a cobble 3x3 waiting for daytime bored to death. I dont trust myself to be brave if I am low on health and there's 5 walkers outside...

That reminds me, does anyone know of a way/mod that allows zombies to break doors on normal mode ?

You might want to take a look at Hostile Worlds: http://coros.us/mods/hostileworlds
It has zombies digging to you and piling up over obstacles.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I think iguana tweaks has an option to randomise your respawn point- every death will drop you in a new location.
(server spawn stays the same- new player/returning from the end should land at the compass point.)
-You should probably disable the F3 screen GPS and ban minimaps/waypoints/markers ect; navigation is best done in game.

(Yes I genuinely play with these options enabled; death sucks and recovering takes over 5 hours sometimes. As your word progresses you can bring the recovery time down to 20 minutes or so. Its not permadeath, but you do 'start over' every time you bite the big one.)​

My personal favourite- turn off water/lava source placement with buckets ect.
Yes- no more holding an infinite flow of liquid in a bucket.
You can still spread water/lava by digging out channels, but having a portable source for boilers/farms ect is out.
Have fun piping the stuff around.
(this won't stop you from setting the GT grinder or IBF- but you're kinda limited as you where you put them. And as they explode in water/lava...)

Reactions: Padfoote and zorn

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Yes these are exactly the kind of suggestions I was hoping for. Thank you very much. Hunger Overhaul's no health regen is balanced by a small mod that adds medpacks, but I want to make the medpack's recipes harder, although as I experienced on SSP, at a certain point, using an item to heal, even though it takes up an extra inventory space might actually make it easier. I will have to limit the stack size on those, and maybe add a natural health regen back, just much much slower, but also leave the food drain it causes on. That way, you will heal very slowly, but it wont effect combat. You'd have to run away and take at least 5 minutes to heal or something like that, IDK.

Nadias asked for some mods that actually make the pack, not just hard, so she wants magic and her first request was ars magica 2. Does that mod screw up the GT tech tree or anything like that ?

Also, I know alot of people go for tweaking things to make quarries less powerful and things like that to make collecting resources harder, but with Custom Ore Gen, this is done pretty well already I think. Should I still worry about those sort of tweaks ?

-edit- Sorry, another series of questions, we were speaking about plugins and agree we'd like to avoid them as much as we can. We want to use Securit Craft or Better Storage to lock doors instead of LWC or somethin. We'd like to use GT vending or a mod like that instead of ChestShop or something. I may still like to use something which controls permissions to build in a certain area possibly, but I like the options Security Craft offers for some things...Anyone have any mods that add SMP functionality of that nature ?

Ars magica does screw with GT and hunger overhaul. The Calefactor gives easy and early ore doubling AND doubles food that you put in it.

I do have a server I'll pm you with info. It's my first attempt at making my own pack though so there were some mistakes. I have to get minetweaker going for computercraft also.

Don't know much about plugins sorry.

GT really balances quarries and not sure how COG works. I increased power draw because you can really get a fast quarry with a couple engines or dynamos. This also makes ic2 miners and Steve's carts miners more appealing.

Oh also... I'm cutting fuel values for te3 by 10-20%. Dynamos are superior to BC engines and te3 machines are still superior to most other mods, I'm trying to make them less efficient to balance them. Next world I'll probably drop te3 altogether.

I agree with the sleeping thing. It sucks if everyone skeps each night away removing all risk from the pack, but it also sucks to get stuck at night in a cave waiting for daytime. But... This would encourage people making safe transport options like a subway system to surrounding areas.

Oh also- ars 2 might wreck balance in other ways. The air sled for example gives you free flight once you have it. It takes a bit, but it doesn't use energy like the TC one does. From comments I've heard, ars is more powerful/OP whatever than TC is.[DOUBLEPOST=1393550768][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think iguana tweaks has an option to randomise your respawn point- every death will drop you in a new location.
(server spawn stays the same- new player/returning from the end should land at the compass point.)
-You should probably disable the F3 screen GPS and ban minimaps/waypoints/markers ect; navigation is best done in game.

(Yes I genuinely play with these options enabled; death sucks and recovering takes over 5 hours sometimes. As your word progresses you can bring the recovery time down to 20 minutes or so. Its not permadeath, but you do 'start over' every time you bite the big one.)​

My personal favourite- turn off water/lava source placement with buckets ect.
Yes- no more holding an infinite flow of liquid in a bucket.
You can still spread water/lava by digging out channels, but having a portable source for boilers/farms ect is out.
Have fun piping the stuff around.
(this won't stop you from setting the GT grinder or IBF- but you're kinda limited as you where you put them. And as they explode in water/lava...)

I'm curious how the water thing works. Why not use a mod to disable infinite water?

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
You could add ICBM and make teams of 2 against one another. You could make rules that all missiles/weapons be built in a single agreed on biome with cooling off days to recover from battles. Those buildings could be away from your main construction/machines so you arent decimated after a war. Also limit the launchers to manual targeting rather than laser designators and hand held target scanners. Sometimes it can be more fun to set competitive goals in general.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
On my server I've gone for a harder setup. I've done the following:

Play on Hard Mode
Add Zombie Awareness (improved AI, and big hordes)
Add Lycanites Mobs (configured quite a bit to disable some of the mobs)
Set TE3 to steel and gear requirements
Double power usage of MFR, Quadruple power usage of Sludge Boiler, increased work time of the laser drill
Double the power requirements for MPS (halfed the conversion rates)
Custom World gen (20-30% less ores)
Add Mekanism (those zombie hordes will be heavily armoured)
Doubled Mekanisms machines power requirements (quadrupled the digital miner)
Add Infernal Mobs (heavily configured, some combinations should just not exist!)

Reactions: zorn

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
On my server I've gone for a harder setup. I've done the following:

Play on Hard Mode
Add Zombie Awareness (improved AI, and big hordes)
Add Lycanites Mobs (configured quite a bit to disable some of the mobs)
Set TE3 to steel and gear requirements
Double power usage of MFR, Quadruple power usage of Sludge Boiler, increased work time of the laser drill
Double the power requirements for MPS (halfed the conversion rates)
Custom World gen (20-30% less ores)
Add Mekanism (those zombie hordes will be heavily armoured)
Doubled Mekanisms machines power requirements (quadrupled the digital miner)
Add Infernal Mobs (heavily configured, some combinations should just not exist!)
ZA and LM are great, but you can just dig down and stripmine; avoiding them completely. You can greatly discourage that by using the IguanaTweaks config to make stone take longer to break. On that note, do you use Hunger Overhaul?

Mekanism is overpowered even if you double the power requirements. You can get armoured mobs with Factorization, too.

You should also disable free energy things, especially free processors like the Caelfactor and Infernal Furnace. However, I can't find a way to actually disable the latter, since it is a multiblock using vanilla components.

What is MPS?

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
ZA and LM are great, but you can just dig down and stripmine; avoiding them completely. You can greatly discourage that by using the IguanaTweaks config to make stone take longer to break. On that note, do you use Hunger Overhaul?

Mekanism is overpowered even if you double the power requirements. You can get armoured mobs with Factorization, too.

You should also disable free energy things, especially free processors like the Caelfactor and Infernal Furnace. However, I can't find a way to actually disable the latter, since it is a multiblock using vanilla components.

What is MPS?
Tried hunger overhaul, but the general consensus of the server players was not positive, even with many settings reduced/disabled. In the end most things were disabled to make the mod pointless to have. Slower tree growth had no effect, slowing down animal growth while good in theory, just means a lot more entities around. The nausea/fatigue settings were just too punishing, config was a bit too limiting on those effects (either on or off), it would have been nice to have just fatigue, and no nausea.
All I wanted was a mod that just increased the hunger rate, and caused hunger to deplete when standing still. HO is supposed to do this, but has too much extra baggage.

Still, with 1.6.x vanilla was changed to reduce hunger when you are healing, so you do have to eat a little bit more then before.

You won't avoid mobs when mining, hit a cavern, and it'll be full of critters to swarm your strip mine. There was I think a bug with a slighter earlier version of ZA that caused zombies to spawn in fully lit areas. Amount of times I got ambushed from behind in my fully lit up mines... Plus those Lurker spider things... Gah, had one in my mine, it actually teased me with it's sounds, then as I was heading back to my little underground camp, it ambushed me. Blindness and Poision at the same time is not

I don't really see how Mekanism is overpowered. It's got expensive crafting recipes, needs a lot of gold and steel. Sure it's now got 5x ore processing, but you are going to need tons of resources and power to build the system.

Any system is free energy if it's energy positive, so that's going to be all tech mods disabled. It's only any cheap single block things that should be disabled. Good news is, as far as I'm aware, there are none in my pack.

MPS is modular power suits. Not a mod I'm that keen on, but some of the server players like it.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Tried hunger overhaul, but the general consensus of the server players was not positive, even with many settings reduced/disabled. In the end most things were disabled to make the mod pointless to have. Slower tree growth had no effect, slowing down animal growth while good in theory, just means a lot more entities around. The nausea/fatigue settings were just too punishing, config was a bit too limiting on those effects (either on or off), it would have been nice to have just fatigue, and no nausea.
All I wanted was a mod that just increased the hunger rate, and caused hunger to deplete when standing still. HO is supposed to do this, but has too much extra baggage.

Still, with 1.6.x vanilla was changed to reduce hunger when you are healing, so you do have to eat a little bit more then before.

You won't avoid mobs when mining, hit a cavern, and it'll be full of critters to swarm your strip mine. There was I think a bug with a slighter earlier version of ZA that caused zombies to spawn in fully lit areas. Amount of times I got ambushed from behind in my fully lit up mines... Plus those Lurker spider things... Gah, had one in my mine, it actually teased me with it's sounds, then as I was heading back to my little underground camp, it ambushed me. Blindness and Poision at the same time is no

I don't really see how Mekanism is
overpowered. It's got expensive crafting recipes, needs a lot of gold and steel. Sure it's now got 5x ore processing, but you are going to need tons of resources and power to build the system.

Any system is free energy if it's energy positive, so that's going to be all tech mods disabled. It's only any cheap single block things that should be disabled. Good news is, as far as I'm aware, there are none in my pack.

MPS is modular power suits. Not a mod I'm that keen on, but some of the server players like it.
On hunger overhaul, how did you verify that trees didn't grow faster? I felt they grew at the same rate on a multifarm but thought it was due to how they worked. Crops seem to grow more slowly though.

ProfessorMudkip

Jul 29, 2019
I meant the ones that require little investment/infrastructure/maintenance/fuel, such as solar panels. But yes, it's ridiculously easy with the default configs; you can set up an tree farm and be set forever.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I meant the ones that require little investment/infrastructure/maintenance/fuel, such as solar panels. But yes, it's ridiculously easy with the default configs; you can set up an tree farm and be set forever.

Depends- the gregrecipe 1Eu/t solars are ok; you need to cover a fairly large area, and wire them all in. (You're averaging less than 0.5Eu/t/day/block)
Compact/advanced ones produce too much free power for a single unit.

And theres a few free energy systems which are pretty neat
(extrabees making soulsand, and loading it into the industrial centrifuge. The start of a processing chain that makes fertiliser, BC fuel, nitro-diesel and diamonds/steel/carbon plates.)

Complex free energy develops a lot of gameplay and requires ingenuity from the player, making a solar panel 512 times and slapping them into a crafting table adds nothing extra to the game- and kills a lot of the complex/fun systems.

Reactions: zorn