Ultimate Modpack - Gregtech: Looking for a raw materials guide

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bryanz

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, honestly, i think that Gregtech is a nice mod, full of nice cozy stuff 'n shit, but that raw materials-hunting season is tearing my nerves apart.
Exactly what's the best way to gather BAZILLION and BAZILLION of raw minerals and materials without force-tech-upgrade to a Quarry, dicking around with Mystcraft or mine 'em personally?
I mean, i find quite funny to mine the shit out of my twilight forest, but i'm not in the mood to waste 5-6 days to gather an helluva of materials just to get a single goddamn machine.

Bryanz

Jul 29, 2019
Just disable the hard recipes in the config.

But that would make almost every machine Gregtech adds completely useless.
I'm searching a cool and practical way to mine a lot of minerals in human times, not a way to make gregtech easier. :O

Bryanz

Jul 29, 2019
You could find/make a mining program for turtles since they are relatively cheap.

Oh yes, i tried these turtles, but my lack of knowledge in LUA makes 'em quite useless.
What do you mean with "program"?
There are actually player-made scripts to put in the turtles so they can devour a whole world in the name of progress and industry?

Cursey

Jul 29, 2019
First off, I HIGHLY recommend a quarry. It is the best possible way to mine for you, as it is the simplest way of endgame mining. The recipe is not that hard as long as you set up an infrastructure of machines, which you will need later on anyway. Nothing other than a rp2 frame machine (requires redstone logic and basic computing) and DW20's miningwell miner (requires Lua knowledge) is better than a quarry.
You also really need to make a blast furnace.

If you are in need of basic vanilla materials (iron, gold, diamonds) I highly recommend creating a zombie pigman farm. You can turn the gold into iron or diamonds whenever needed.
For Iridium and platinum, I would create an industrial grinder, and grind all of your ferrous ore with mercury. (9 ferrous ore can get you 1 iridium ingot!) If you ever need platinum quickly, go to the end, and look for the special ore on the asteroids.
Copper, electrum(which can be turned into silver), and tungsten are very easy to get if you pump lava into a centrifuge. Its basically free materials. I would make a lot of centrifuges, as the recipe is very slow.
Titanium shouldn't be that hard as long as you mine in a forest or a plain. You will get tons of bauxite, and with some time, you will get plenty of titanium and aluminium.
The hardest material to get in Gregtech, in my opinion, is chrome. You will need tons of rubies, or yellow garnets (I discourage, mining rubies is easier and yields more chrome.) Get a pick with fortune 3, and mine rubies whenever you see them.
Things like lapis and redstone are very common as long as you strip mine and use your fortune pick on the ores whenever you see them. (as much as 32 lapis can be dropped if mined with a fortune pickaxe!)

Good luck.