UE Question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Wrong. It's more like Thermal Expansions, except that you need the configurator to set it up. I'm not sure if it automatically outputs though.

huh? from what i`ve tested its pretty much like IC2: there sides that can take, and there side that can be taken from. it`s nothing like TE where you can determine side for input, out put, or passive output.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
huh? from what i`ve tested its pretty much like IC2: there sides that can take, and there side that can be taken from. it`s nothing like TE where you can determine side for input, out put, or passive output.

with the configurator you can change which side outputs 2nd outputs inputs etc

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
with the configurator you can change which side outputs 2nd outputs inputs etc
configurator? is that a new thing for mekanism, or some 3rd party thingy?
either way i`ve never toyed with it, so cannot tell :confused:

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
configurator? is that a new thing for mekanism, or some 3rd party thingy?
either way i`ve never toyed with it, so cannot tell :confused:

If you look at the mechanism item slots each one has a different color. The configurator, from what I can tell, lets you set what side is what color, allowing you to change what sides are input and what sides are output. However, while you can set the sides I don't think you can have it automatically output to adjacent inventories. At the very least I can't get my purifier to output into my TE pulverizer and while I can get the pulverizer to output into my enrichment factory it outputs all the items into one slot rather than spreading it out as mentioned above.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Without a proper semi-detailed wiki, it's difficult to know what UE can do.

Have you tried putting a vanilla hopper on top, to see if that will feed into the extra slots? I'm betting those other slots won't ever autofill until the first slot is full or if the item is different from the first slot.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it likes to fill one slot at a time no matter what insertion method you use. A bit of a pain, but not that big a deal considering how fast they are with 8 speed upgrades. Automating the ore processing is much more complicated compared to the simplicity of Thermal Expansion, but definitely worth it when you do.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
while mekanism blocks do have colored slod in GUI, i didnt see anything that can alter em. and they do follow same logic as IC2 machines: top- inpti, sides-out put, bottom-fuel(battery) or secondary input.

RR 0.9.6

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
while mekanism blocks do have colored slod in GUI, i didnt see anything that can alter em. and they do follow same logic as IC2 machines: top- inpti, sides-out put, bottom-fuel(battery) or secondary input.

RR 0.9.6

Yea, the configurator lets you change the colors of the sides so you can make other sides input or output instead.

And yea, my main point is what's the point of factories even having up to 7 work slots if you have to fill each slot one at a time. I mean, sure, it's nice if you're processing 7 different items, but if you're just processing a lot of one item it's no better than the basic enrichment machine.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, the configurator lets you change the colors of the sides so you can make other sides input or output instead.

And yea, my main point is what's the point of factories even having up to 7 work slots if you have to fill each slot one at a time. I mean, sure, it's nice if you're processing 7 different items, but if you're just processing a lot of one item it's no better than the basic enrichment machine.
damn, that configurator thing really annoys me, because i cannot find anything remotely similar to TE when i look at mekanism machines.

it kinda make sense, because factory is basically 7 machines in line fed with RP tubes.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019

Well, most of the time I don't use all of the power of my elite factories, but it's nice to have all that speed when you need to process a lot of stuff at once. Like making glass out of cobble or smelting tons of rubber at once because you (me) are to lazy to automate it.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
For glass I'm mostly using the TiC smeltery now, outside of glass used in recipes. But yea, at full speed it takes about a stack and a half of ore to start using the 3rd processing slot at full speed going from purification chamber > crusher (a single pulverizer is too slow, but an overclocked macerator might work) > enrichment factory. So yea, the factories are more for processing multiple ores of different types, rather than a lot of a single type. That said, BC pipes are too slow to pull the dusts out of the machines quickly enough with max speed upgrades, so you're gonna either be using routers or AE to do it.

Just did a bit of testing, you can set up a purifier, crusher, enricher, and smelter (last three are factories) with 3 routers in a 2x2x3 shape around a single wire and the routers will know which factories get which part of the process, so the clumps always go to the crusher, the dirty iron always goes to the enrichment chamber, and the iron dust will always go to the smelter. Sadly it will force them into one slot at a time unless you're processing multiple ore types and it will take some machine filters and ejectors as well as dark iron, but it's faster at transfering items than buildcraft pipes and will probably be more space efficient than an AE setup.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
damn, that configurator thing really annoys me, because i cannot find anything remotely similar to TE when i look at mekanism machines.

it kinda make sense, because factory is basically 7 machines in line fed with RP tubes.

it's a item look it up in nei

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I have the configurator and all it does is change what side allows input or output. One major flaw with my plan though seems to be that factories like to fill one slot at a time rather than distribute items inserted into them evenly. There is probably a way to set it up so it doesn't do that, but I'm unsure of how to do it without adding assembly line *not sure if that would even work) or a large number of routers (unless you can set them to a specific machine and fill all input slots only while spreading the items evenly).

It auto-pushes to the next slot when you have multiple types. I assure you that it is PUH-LENTY fast if you max overclock it. So fast that your primary problem will be power ing it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
i expected it to be a config thingy that all TE machines have :confused:

It's just a different way of doing mostly the same thing. The Configurator is actually Mekanism's Wrench. It's got multiple modes and those modes are pretty fancy.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
It's just a different way of doing mostly the same thing. The Configurator is actually Mekanism's Wrench. It's got multiple modes and those modes are pretty fancy.
i see. i`ll look into into it, when i`m in the mood for it, however default setup works just fine for me.