UE Cable's dominate server tickrate

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
I've been relying heavily on the universal properties of Mekanism's Universal Cables for just about all of my power transferring needs, until today.

For the past three days or so my VPS provider has been having a few CPU issues (probably node abuse again). This prompted me to seek out any and all inefficient systems in an attempt to curb my server's cpu usage. Upon running a ps aux command I noticed that over the last week my cpu usage has shot up sixty percent from forty percent with server tickrate suffering greatly.

I ran Opis for a while, it of course identified only a single laggy chunk. That's pretty good for a base that encompass well over fifty chunks..

I've heard some bad things about UE cables being pretty demanding but, I hadn't had the time to switch my entire system over to conduits. That problem has now been remedied. After swapping out my UE cables for Redstone Energy Conduits, server cpu usage dropped by over twenty five percent. That's a staggering amount of CPU usage for a power network that was only going to grow larger.

Has anyone else experienced this while using UE Cables? Here I thought large arrays of Buildcraft pipes/EnderIO conduits were bad..

I'm using the latest developer build obtainable on the Mekanism Jenkins for version 1.6.4.

For anyone else running into issues with large power networks, this setup works flawlessly.
http://i.imgur.com/7vW7scd.png

When dealing with all non RF/MJ consuming machines you are still able to use the processor friendly Redstone Energy Conduits. I have thousands of these conduits spread out throughout my base. As if we needed further proof of King Lemming's ability to optimize.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, UniCables are fairly laggy. Luckily they work fine in the setup you showed, so they're still pretty amazing.

Draakon

Jul 29, 2019
Either use Universal Cables from output to input or use whatever cables the machine requires. Do not mix and match like that, since UC has to convert power at minimum twice. And looking at it, I presume it's an EU machine, which also adds another layer of calculations.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, UniCables are fairly laggy. Luckily they work fine in the setup you showed, so they're still pretty amazing.
This as well as the fact that in the Dev build this issue has been almost completely fixed. If you go on irc on #mekanism they will link you to the Dev build.

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Either use Universal Cables from output to input or use whatever cables the machine requires. Do not mix and match like that, since UC has to convert power at minimum twice. And looking at it, I presume it's an EU machine, which also adds another layer of calculations.

I think you misinterpreted my post. Using entirely UE cables will generate massive cpu spikes. My previous setup involved nothing but UE cables. With the current state of the E-net I'm unwilling to use IC2 wires. The last thing I need is my workshop bursting into flames because of some slight change to the way the e-net handles packets. Using this mix and match method has so far resulted in a thirty five percent reduction in cpu usage. If that's inefficient, I must be going crazy.

This as well as the fact that in the Dev build this issue has been almost completely fixed. If you go on irc on #mekanism they will link you to the Dev build.

I am using the dev build... The issue not only persists, it's rampant. It has something to do with cables constantly requesting energy even when machines are idle. I was hitting cpu usage upwards of sixty percent on my vps and, I'd only finished wiring one third of my base.

Guys and gals, I know it's a long post but, it saves everyone a whole lot of time when you actually read it.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
Wow, thanks for this tip, I was in the process of converting my Redstone energy conduits to this awesome UE cable, looks like I'll remove them from my base after all, just wondering would a UE cable work on IC2 machines if connected like in your setup ???

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
[quote="PsionicArchon, post: 552392, member: 54959"After swapping out my UE cables for Redstone Energy Conduits, server cpu usage dropped by over twenty five percent.
Not exactly a bug, and it helps all of us that are using UE cables at the same time. It's probably just the cables checking for energy even if machines are idle.

Aidan

Jul 29, 2019
@PsionicArchon, I'd suggest updating to Mekanism v6, which completely overhauled Mekanism's transmitter system for the exact issue you noted. KingLemming explained to me how he manages his conduits, and they are now buffer-based (and therefore exponentially more efficient). Let me know if it works out for you.

Last edited:

PsionicArchon

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, thanks for this tip, I was in the process of converting my Redstone energy conduits to this awesome UE cable, looks like I'll remove them from my base after all, just wondering would a UE cable work on IC2 machines if connected like in your setup ???

Yup, I have a good thirty machines running off of RF -> IC2 conversions.

I usually do make bug reports, just wanted a confirmation from other users that it was in fact the cables ramping up cpu usage.

I'm installing version 6.0.0.234, the latest version I have access to on the aforementioned Jenkins. I'll let everyone know how the cables perform in large builds, feel free to test them as well: http://ci.aidancbrady.com/job/Mekanism-Dev/234/

Also, thanks for the work on the cables. They're still my favorite power transmission method due to their universal properties.