U.S. Gov't advising PC users to disable Java - Attack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Easy ways to "Avoid getting hacked"(AKA, Identity protection)
1. Don't put personal information about yourself on the internet. If you use Facebook or Twitter, don't use your full name.
2. Run scans of your computer frequently. Not just a virus scan though, not all malware is a virus!
3. Check your credit report at least once a year.
4. Keep your bank on a tight leash, and keep in contact with them! If something is wrong on your account, speak up!

And all that stuff will not prevent malicious code being executed if you haven't disabled the Java plugin.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
And all that stuff will not prevent malicious code being executed if you haven't disabled the Java plugin.
Key phrase "(AKA, Identity Protection)"
And See step 2.

You can download malicious code from anywhere, regardless of a Java plugin.
(This is why I don't look at any crash report that is uploaded as a text file)

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
Education is key here. Most people who succumb to identity theft were never told and never learned about internet security in the first place. read up on SSL certification, secure your router settings, allow your user account only the rights it needs to do what you need, use different passwords for your email, bank, facebook, forums, business, personal sites, blogs, etc. Do not use common passwords (password, password1, qwerty, 123456, fuck, <name>, qazwsx, fuckyou, google common passwords for more). Do not share your passwords, PIN, or any other authentication method with anyone on the internet, be aware of password harvesting techniques, run a firewall, monitor your computer for strange programs and by extension learn what processes do what so that you can recognize strange ones, don't execute files unless you know what they do. Powerful people from different countries never need your help moving any amount of money. There is no way anything on the internet can autoscan your computer through a popup and find viruses. Registry errors are common and not a sign that your computer has malware on it.

tl;dr Learn about different ways you can be attacked online. Most of them involve you giving your information or permission to someone else. The others will hop onto your computer through hijacked websites and poorly written code. Don't be paranoid, but be alert. The internet is a wonderful place, but do not blindly trust everything on it. More often than not, googling something suspicious will bring up others who have identified it as malicious OR it will alleviate any suspicions you may have had. And finally, the US Government will often make overarching claims about things in order to frighten you - at the same time, they tend to have at least some shred of good intentions in their warning. Take this warning and do your own research.

tl;dr tl;dr Educate yourself, google is your friend.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Adding to that, avoid unnecessary risks (such as downloading files from an unknown person). Limiting online purchases to only secure sites, try not to use your credit card number online (get a verified Paypal instead ;) )

Reactions: Vovk

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, the reason I made my claim was that Linux doesn't USE Java, by default, in-browser. It uses IcedTea, which doesn't have the exploit vulnerability. Granted, you *CAN* put Java in your browser if you want, but it's not required.
I'mma be as concise as possible because I've gotten into trouble for derailing threads. People don't want a different OS. So going up to people who use XP, Vista, 7, Mac, whatever --They don't WANT Linux. They want what they're bloody well using.
If they're already using Linux, that's fine. But honestly to change to a completely new OS, free, open source or otherwise, instead of doing a simple procedure of disabling a browser plugin is just baffling and I very much doubt this plugin's hole in the armor will be left for very long. In fact I'd say in a week or two an update will come out that'll fix it.

So don't come in here and get all smug with 'I'm using Linux because windows is poopy with java' because people don't want to hear that. Let it alone and be helpful.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
+1 Wabbit

I personally use linux, yes. With that in mind, an OS switch is a big thing for most people. Most people don't want to take apart their OS and switch to another one. They want to use the tool they are currently using, and proselytizing linux as some catch all fix for all of a user's problems is wrong and naive. Use the tool that is right for you, freedom of choice includes freedom to keep doing what you're doing, and pushing for people to use linux more often than not forces them away from it. Focus your energies on making linux better if you want people to use it.

OS wars are drivel and do not belong in these threads.

Reactions: Rakankrad

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I use Windows 7, because Windows Vista was a bad idea ;) PC's are cheap-ish, and being in my mid 20's, cheap is nice. I understand that I get what I pay for.
I don't see the point in buying a Mac. When comparing for a purchase, I want to get the best bang for my buck, and I just don't see it with Apple products. Also, I grew up on the evolving Windows GUI, Mac confuses me, and I don't really like it all that much.
I don't understand Linux. I would like to learn, but right now, I don't.
But again, GUI ;)

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
I use Windows 7, because Windows Vista was a bad idea ;) PC's are cheap-ish, and being in my mid 20's, cheap is nice. I understand that I get what I pay for.
I don't see the point in buying a Mac. When comparing for a purchase, I want to get the best bang for my buck, and I just don't see it with Apple products. Also, I grew up on the evolving Windows GUI, Mac confuses me, and I don't really like it all that much.
I don't understand Linux. I would like to learn, but right now, I don't.
But again, GUI ;)
Think it's worth me making a quick post for dummies how to disable Java for Chrome?