Turtletarded

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
So, I think I have the exact opposite problem everyone else has with turtles. Writing programs was fairly easy for me to pick up with one short tutorial series on youtube and the computercraft wiki, and I have no problems doing that.

Everything outside of writing programs though, I am hopelessly lost. After a week or so of fooling with them I *just* figured out how to name them. I blundered my way into accidentally figuring out how to copy a program from a computer to a disk, but I cannot figure out how to copy a program from a disk to a turtle. What in the hell do all these peripherals do? Why doesn't the wireless modem allow me to use a computer to control a turtle? I hear that there is some sort of "charging station" for turtles, however the only charging station in NEI seems to have no recipe.

Every search I make with the word turtle in it anywhere immediately brings up a million tutorials on how to write programs and not a damn thing on anything else at all. Where do you even go to learn this crap? Trial and error is really not working at all.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
On the main prompt, type "programs".

This will list the available programs that you can run (this includes things like copy and label).

The directory structure should be something like
>root
>>rom
>>disk (if available)
>>home

home is where you start, rom is where the builtin programs are located, and disk is the disk.

cd .. will move up the structure, and cd {directoryname} will move down.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 has some tutorials about the peripherals, mostly the misc peripherals mod spotlight will show the ones that it adds, which includes the charging station. A modem allows the computer to access Rednet, which can allow you to send commands to a turtle if that turtle also has a modem on it too. http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/4587-cc1481mc146-miscperipherals-23/ the misc peripherals page should explain the commands that the allow you to access, they basically allow you to write programs that do more specific things like control a nuclear reactor or automate a bee farm that analyzes the bee to weigh how useful it is.

Zaik

Jul 29, 2019
thanks, .. has helped out quite a bit in just a few minutes already. I can finally stop dragging around a floppy drive everywhere I use my turtles.

Direwolf20 has some tutorials about the peripherals, mostly the misc peripherals mod spotlight will show the ones that it adds, which includes the charging station. A modem allows the computer to access Rednet, which can allow you to send commands to a turtle if that turtle also has a modem on it too. http://www.computercraft.info/forums2/index.php?/topic/4587-cc1481mc146-miscperipherals-23/ the misc peripherals page should explain the commands that the allow you to access, they basically allow you to write programs that do more specific things like control a nuclear reactor or automate a bee farm that analyzes the bee to weigh how useful it is.

Oh geez, now I've got to figure out what a rednet is.

Thanks for the help on the peripherals though. Doubt I'd trust those slow ass things to control a nuclear reactor or handle bee breeding, but I suppose it's better to have the option than not.