Turbine over-speed issue

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

amused

Jul 29, 2019
hi all, I've started playing around with the big reactors mod and have finally made my first turbine. I've connected the reactor, turbine and ender I/O capacitor bank using computer craft and loaded the DW20 control prog to stop things going BOOM.

Unfortunately it seems the turbine continues to increase in speed whilst the reactor/turbine is off as the capacitors discharge.

So if any one has come across this and knows how to fix it before my base becomes a smoking hole in the ground I'd be grateful.

Regards
Amused
(the hapless n00b messing with things beyond his knowledge)

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
hi all, I've started playing around with the big reactors mod and have finally made my first turbine. I've connected the reactor, turbine and ender I/O capacitor bank using computer craft and loaded the DW20 control prog to stop things going BOOM.

Unfortunately it seems the turbine continues to increase in speed whilst the reactor/turbine is off as the capacitors discharge.

So if any one has come across this and knows how to fix it before my base becomes a smoking hole in the ground I'd be grateful.

Regards
Amused
(the hapless n00b messing with things beyond his knowledge)

Are you sure you are shutting it off, or just disengaging the coils? I ask because that is normal if coils are disengaged, and it won't do anything to your base.

Edit : I saw you mentioned that you were using DW's program. His program only disengages the coils. It doesn't shut it off. This is done to minimize the time it takes to generate rf.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I've connected the reactor, turbine and ender I/O capacitor bank using computer craft and loaded the DW20 control prog to stop things going BOOM.

You do know that you can(and should really) safely let the Turbine run, even if the Capacitor bank fills up? Nothing bad happens. Ever.

In fact the BR Turbines works best in very narrow RPM windows(900 or 1800) and you really do not want to shut them down or disengage them once you have reached that.

I have no clue what DW is doing with that control program, but you don't need any control programs for Turbines. Certain programs can help you dial your reactor in correctly, but the turbines just need to be manually set to the right steam input and that is it. Never need to touch them again.

amused

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the responses,

@Brian Cherrick: yes the turbine is online with the coils disengaged.

@rhn: looking at the display for the DW20 prog its a reactor control with throttling & turbine coil engage/disengage.

I just found it strange that with the reactor off/no steam going in to the turbine and the coils disengaged that the rotor speed was still increasing (by several hundred rpm) to sit in the red-zone of the turbine display, i guess the turbine has frictionless bearings :)

amused

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the responses,

@Brian Cherrick: yes the turbine is online with the coils disengaged.

@rhn: looking at the display for the DW20 prog its a reactor control with throttling & turbine coil engage/disengage.

I just found it strange that with the reactor off/no steam going in to the turbine and the coils disengaged that the rotor speed was still increasing (by several hundred rpm) to sit in the red-zone of the turbine display, i guess the turbine has frictionless bearings :)

amused

I'm assuming that DW20 set up his program to shut down the Reactor (to save fuel) when the Capacitors were filled. When he shuts down the Reactor, he disengages the coil on the Turbine (as stated above, to reduce the spin-up time on Reactor restart), which sounds like a good idea, but as rhn stated, the efficiency of the Turbine is murdered either way. I'll grant that it takes less time to slow the Turbine back down than it would to heat up, but unless fuel is a major concern, there is simply no need to ever turn off your Reactor.

Also note that nothing in Big Reactors ever blows up. The most damage you can do is to hurt your fuel efficiency (running the Reactor too hot) and RF production rates (running the Turbine out of the sweet spot RPMs). For claiming to be splitting atoms inside, the box is damn near dummy proof and risk free.

I know he gets a lot of notoriety, but from what I've seen, DW29 does things efficiently about 30% of the time. The rest just makes it work done can move on to other things. Not bashing, just saying. Such is life when every move you make is recorded/broadcast, I suppose.

Reactions: rhn

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I always leave my Turbines on, I never have to touch em. All I do is turn my Big Reactor on/off, depending on how my batteries are doing. With the Reactor off and the Turbines on, they just spin down to zero and sit there. I never disengage the coils, it takes probably 5 minutes or less for the Turbines to get up to full speed and full power output. So "simple is best" - my entire power generation capability lies in the press on one single button, the Reactor on/off button. I never need "massive power on demand" - that's what batteries or energy cells or capacitors are for. The Reactor/Turbines setup recharges them, but never with any need for urgency. When my total power storage is getting low (say 1/3), I fire up the Reactor. When storage is near full, I turn it off again. I could automate the feedback loop but it's so easy and I need to do it so infrequently, I don't even bother, I just do it by hand, and by sight.

Edit: Oh I guess I should add, I always make the max-size Turbines with 84 rotor blades and 37 Enderium blocks, so I know they'll always end up right in the middle of the upper green zone making maximum power with no overspeed (since this thread was about overspeed). Just don't disengage the coils, there's no need to ever do that if you have patience to wait for the Turbine to spin up to full power slowly.

Last edited: