Trying to round out a modpack for my son

S

Sennex

So I have been working on a modpack/ World for my son.
Currently I have:
MCMMO
OtherDrops
Big Tree's
Giant Tree's (Pretty sure this is the name of the bukkit plugin that makes Yggdrasil sized tree's)

Biomes O Plenty
ATG
Buildcraft
RailCraft
Project Red
TreeCapitator
ThaumCraft
Equivalent Exchange
Immersive Engineering
Witchery (added last night)
Tinkers Construct (Also Added last night)
Nature
Pam's Harvestcraft
Chisel
Carpenters Blocks

Minecraft Comes Alive
Millenaire

The Goal of this is he wants to be able to set up a town, and then fortify it as we slowly increase the difficulty on the server. He wants to interact with Townsfolks, and all of that.

We are currently studying the Roman Empire in history (He is homeschooled), and I think he wants to basically have his own little empire and then go forth and conquer the barbarian hordes.

My problem is I don't really know Forge Mods that well. I don't know which mods add what to better balance the server for him. He likes Quarries because he saw them on Youtube; Also Tunnel Bores. He likes Magic and farming as well.

He won't build huge reactors, he would have me do it for him, and I have zero idea how that works. He loves machines that move and windmills, not to mention Rail systems.

I appreciate any help you all can give on this, if you see something that should be removed, or changed, let me know. Or even if you have Config mods that would work out well, please post them.

This is a private server for my son and I.

gerb82

Jul 29, 2019
I would more than like to help, but i need more details on exactly what do you plan. If he likes things that move there is a really cool mod for stuff like it though it is really complicated. And still the graphics in it look awsome and it adds machines that really make your mind think how you can do stuff there the smart way. The mod is called rotarycraft and it is by reika. Other than that if you have more things you dont know how to use, or some mods you are thinking of adding, or pretty much anything mod/config related just message me either here or privately. Also if you at some point wanna put it on the ftb launcher as a private modpack i can help you with the premissions and other legal stuff to put it on the launcher for both of you to use.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix
A

Arcanuo

Just a couple things I noticed, McMMO is a plugin, so KCauldron will be needed.

I'd throw NEI on that list because it's a recipe life saver.

I'd suggest Minetweaker just in case you want to change some recipes in the case you have conflicts.

S

Sennex

Caludron 1.7.10 is the server I am using. It is already running as I test everything and find my son a village to set his spawn to.
I forgot to mention that we do have NEI and WAILA on the server, but I haven't looked at Mine Tweaks at all.

Well so lets see where to start with this. This might be long and rambling, but I am going to try to explain the decisions I made regarding each mod that is added.

So my son is 13 and Autistic, he watches a bunch of Youtube videos of Minecraft Series (I think his current ones are a Batman and Robin series, a Star Trek Minecraft series, and one about being exiled or marooned). On Saturday morning, we watch them on our TV, and over the last few years, I have made note of what mods he really thinks are interesting and which ones he just ignores.

His MC avatar swaps back and forth between Iron Man, Capt America, or Batman. So you have to somewhat think about this from the stance of a super hero.

He loves Big Tree's and Giant Tree's (One is forge, and the other is Bukkit). He talks all the time about turning these tree's into either Yggdrasil, or some sort of Ewok Village/ Secret headquarters.

Tree Capitator is mainly me, as about 80% of what is built on this server will be me building it, or harvesting things for him to use.

BuildCraft/ Railcraft/ Immersive Engineering were decided upon because he likes Quarries, he likes Tunnel Bores (They both help him build secret bases), and ImmEng allows for windmills and things that move and make noise. Not to mention the power lines running everywhere help him feel like he is in a city/ town. (We played with the City World dimension mod for about a year, and he didn't like it, that is the only reason it isn't present this time)

EE/ Witchery/ Thaumcraft - I don't really know where the love of magic comes from, it is a new thing. Witchery was mentioned yesterday to me in a Reddit thread about Fortifications. I told him to look at it while I was at work, and when I got home, he asked me if it was oklay to add it, so its there. Thaumcraft was added because of Golems and Wands. EE was added because he remembers it from back when we played Tekkit Classic a few years ago.

Natura/ Pams Harvestcraft - Added because people need to eat. My son is a huge fan of gardening in real life. We have a mini garden that he tends, currently growing Lavendar, Lemon Thyme, Lemon Grass, and Grape tomatoes. I know these two mods, so I just grabbed him without asking him, but I know they are "safe".

Project Red - Not sure why I grabbed this one. I honestly dont remember now that I really think about it.

Chisel/ Carpenters Blocks - More block options to make was it really.

Tinkers Construct - So I not actually a fan of this mod. However I was advised yesterday to add it because of the Fortification thread on reddit I mentioned above. I tend to want tools to be easier and more straightforward to build.

MCMMO / Other Drops - Bukkit Mod - I added this one as I really wanted to reward my son for getting out there and gathering resources on his own, and not waiting for me. It is also why I chose MCMMO.

So there is that list.

What started a lot of this was my sons fascination currently with the Roman Empire. Coupled with his love of Super Hero's, I think what he wants to do is build some sort of town or series of towns, wall them off and then have battles with the Monsters that spawn at night.

He points me at pics of Roman camps and fortified towns in his books and asks about making them in his new world.

I don't really know if this helps you guys with what I am after, I do appreciate your time and help on this

EDIT: Minecraft Comes Alive/ Millenaire - BEtter looking Villagers/ Villages, and quests

Last edited:
D

DireChyymeras

This sounds like great fun for you and your son! May I suggest ancient warfare for much better functional npcs and warfare, and maybe see if there are some mob mods such as dark menagerie or grimoires of Gaia to make it more interesting for him

Reactions: gerb82
S

Sennex

I was looking at Ancient Warfare 2 on youtube yesterday during lunch. My only concern with it is how complex it is. MCA and Millenaire already add revamped villagers and guards.

S

Sennex

Can you explain a bit more for me?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I was able to look it up on my phone. It doesn't really add anything that would be needed that I see.

C

Chervilpaw

AE2 adds a storage system, based on storage cells. It can also be used to autocraft stuff. It can store a crapton of stuff.

A

Arcanuo

Ahah! *Runs hands together gleefully* This is going to be fun.

While not something I would use a in a public pack,

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...1-7-10-superheroes-unlimited-mod-v4-3-2-x-men - would be great for a superhero fan, I wouldn't add it in any public pack, due to how overpowered it is, but should work for what you want. It adds the ability to equip "superhero" suits, which add all sorts of cool abilities when wearing these items.

Microblocks - I classify this as the endgame to all building add-ons, allows for insane amount of detail.

Botania - An enjoyable easy to use Magic mod, that lacks GUI's, which is an amazing mechanic to start with it. It's all drag and drop into altars, and it contains its own thorough guide.

Minetweaker - You mentioned never using this, very easy to use, power add-on, that allows you to tweak recipes, change mechanics, and more. It's done via script files (.zs files), or many add-ons exist to allow you to do ingame, but cuts down on the power of the mod.

S

Sennex

What would be better, Iron Chests mod or AE2?

Keep in mind I working with a 13 year old here. Making chests is insanely easy.

S

Sennex

Ahah! *Runs hands together gleefully* This is going to be fun.

While not something I would use a in a public pack,

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...1-7-10-superheroes-unlimited-mod-v4-3-2-x-men - would be great for your son. It adds the ability to equip "superhero" suits, which add all sorts of cool abilities when wearing these items.

Microblocks - I classify this as the endgame to all building add-ons, allows for insane amount of detail.

Botania - An enjoyable easy to use Magic mod, that lacks GUI's, which is an amazing mechanic to start with it. It's all drag and drop into altars, and it contains its own thorough guide.

Minetweaker - You mentioned never using this, very easy to use, power add-on, that allows you to tweak recipes, change mechanics, and more. It's done via script files (.zs files), or many add-ons exist to allow you to do ingame, but cuts down on the power of the mod.

I remember him seeing the Superhero mod before in a youtube video. I will look into it again.

I vaguely remember Microblocks and Botania. I will start looking into all three here soon

C

Chervilpaw

Iron Chests AND AE2 would work. Since AE2 is mid game, iron chests could be used before them. And pretty much everybody has sorting problems (AE2 keeps them in one place, and you can access the same system from multiple locations, and search for items)

gerb82

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like great fun for you and your son! May I suggest ancient warfare for much better functional npcs and warfare, and maybe see if there are some mob mods such as dark menagerie or grimoires of Gaia to make it more interesting for him
i wanted to suggest ancient warfare as well but by the time i red the email notification you already suggested it.
the mod itself can be a bit complicated in the start but once you get the hang of it it is super easy. to me the moment i got the idea of how basically it worked it took me less than 5 minutes to actually find in the book what i want and also be able to show others exactly how to use that mod. so if you need help learning it or explaining it i can definitely help. i have already had a few saves that were almost pure ancient warfare but also a tiny bit of immersive engineering. other than that grimoires of gaia i would recommend to not add as normal spawns but rather as defenders of hostile villages, as these mobs can get really really really annoying and scary super fast. they spawn in masses and some of them are simply over powered and will kill you in the start again and again. but to have them as village guardians definitely sounds like a good idea in my opinion. also if you want to have some fun with trying to defend your base there is an invasion mod that you activate a nexus block, and it spawns mobs around that try to get to it and destroy it, and some can dig through stuff or even build bridges to it. this can definitely make things more interesting for defending.
link:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-invasion-mod-so-you-think-your-base-is-tough. other than that i would also suggest ancient warfare since it has a pretty unique way for a quarry and a storage system which i really like. and it also is possible to have actual npcs working to power your machines in your house. it can be a pretty cool mod. can't think really of a lot of other suggestions for now.

Reactions: DireChyymeras
S

Sennex

After dinner last night I grabbed a bunch of the mods mentioned here and created the first test world

Witchery added a huge castle/ keep right near the spawn, however it was competely destroyed by the ATG settings. My son was having a hard time with it, so I had to turn the walls config to 0 to turn them off. (Just part of his deal )

Then we noticed that ATG had about 20 null spots in the map, that just would NOT fill in. We created a new world, same thing, about 20 null spots scattered around the spawn area. If I remove ATG and just use BoP then the world is perfect. So I did that.

Grimoire of Gaia (1.27 release) would not let the server launch. So I had to pull that. don't ask me why, as there wasn't a crash report. The Java window would pop up, hang for about a minute, and then just close out. Once I removed the GoG mod, the server fired right up.

I had a similar issue with running Fast Craft on the server.

AE2 is not added in currently.

Microblocks is in

Botania is in

I really need to look over Minetweaker more before I add that in. I only know what you all have said about it, as I haven't had time to dig into it. The thought of scripting changes into the server would be useful though, so it is definitely on my list

Thank you all for your help.

S

Sennex

I will look into adding those.

The world is up and active, my son has a village and is working on about a million things at once. He is pretty happy with it all.

I need to set up some machines for him and get him going on basic base building. He had me plant two Giant Tree's for him to build around his village so that he can be above them in a tree fort.

Can you all point me at some early game power generation for any of the mods listed (Buildcraft, Immersive Engineering, etc..)? There is a ton of cobblestone that needs to get baked along with various ores. We have mined down to around level 6, but we dont' have a decent stockpile of any one thing yet.

I have looked at the various online guides, but the recipes seem different, and I wasn't sure how accurate they were anymore.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
If you are old fashioned then go for buildcraft... IE is good but I dont really like multiblock structures...

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk