Trying to play modded minecraft through Twitch app, keeps using outdated Minecraft launcher (1.6.84)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

titanchief15

May 26, 2020
I've read all of these comments and right now Im trying to switch from native launcher to jar launcher. For whatever reasons there isn't a done button and whenever I switch from settings and back to twitch it goes right back to the jar launcher even though I clicked on native launcher. When I try to play mods in opens the 1.6.91 launcher and it also is stuck on loading... How do I fix this.

(Im on mac OS if that helps)
i have the exact same problem it is so stupid that there isnt a confirm button or something.

Don Redhorse

Jul 29, 2019
the jar launcher 1.6.91 will not work with newer MC versions, see https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-11993 but there is another problem that the newer MC versions also will not work with 1.6.93 because Mojang shut down the distribution source for Minecraft which is used by this launcher, 1.14 is for sure impacted.

Solution: atm not use Twitch, I have a ticket open with Twitch but I doubt we see anything happening from there.

I guess I need to teach my 10 year old on how to use a different launcher or let him play on windows.

mawyno4562

Aug 22, 2020
The twitch desktop app has 2 launchers it can use, by default install it should be the newer "native launcher" and there is the old jar launcher (1.6.84).

Native Launcher
View attachment 35515

Jar Launcher
View attachment 35512

To change the launcher used: go to file - settings, scroll down to minecraft on the left and select. On the right scroll down till you see Launcher method & select the one you wish to use.
View attachment 35506 View attachment 35509

Hope this helps :)
every time I click it, and exit out of the settings, I go back and check, and it changes back to the jar?

PsychoPhysic

Sep 26, 2020
every time I click it, and exit out of the settings, I go back and check, and it changes back to the jar?
Mine hasn't worked in months, finally figured it out. TUTORIAL HERE:
incase you don't wanna do that or can't, here's the run.
1 ) Download (don't run) the file from: https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-11993
2 ) Head over to twitch > settings > minecraft and at the top locate your save files. Remember this.
3 ) Open up finder, and locate your file, I used the "Find" Feature. You need to find the one called something like twitch, curse, etc.
4 ) When you look inside there should be something called minecraft > installs > game
5 ) Rename the file that is currently in there, then drag in the new file called "Launcher.Jar"
This should allow you to run it succesfully. Hope I helped!