Trying to play modded minecraft through Twitch app, keeps using outdated Minecraft launcher (1.6.84)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dcw282

Jul 29, 2019
Everytime I launched a modpack through the Twitch desktop app, it launches an old launcher (1.6.84 specifically). When I try to log in, it says I cannot connect to any servers (i'm assuming this is because it is using such an outdated launcher?)

My vanilla minecraft is up to date and runs fine. so i am confused as to why a 1.7.10 modpack is still being launched with a 1.6 launcher.

would really appreciate any help on this as I really want to play project ozone 2 :)

thanks so much!

Reactions: lolmer
P

Pjc21

The twitch desktop app has 2 launchers it can use, by default install it should be the newer "native launcher" and there is the old jar launcher (1.6.84).

Native Launcher
Launcher1.png

Jar Launcher
Jar_Launcher.png

To change the launcher used: go to file - settings, scroll down to minecraft on the left and select. On the right scroll down till you see Launcher method & select the one you wish to use.
Twitch1.png Twitch2.png

Hope this helps :)

T

TCT

the native launcher option is grayed out and it doesn't allow me to select it. PLEASE help :(

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
(i'm assuming this is because it is using such an outdated launcher?)
I doubt that this is because of the launcher. The only job of the launcher is to launch the game.
servers look at the minecraft version, mod list and mod versions together with if you are logged in. Which launcher you used is irrelevant and the server most likely can't even see which one you used.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I had something similar, recently put my 1.7.10 modpack up on curse/twitch. This pack I built up using the new launcher. Go to test it within Twitch, and it always fails to load the native launcher. Had to change the config to use the old launcher, and it loaded fine.

You can always make a new instance in the new launcher, and copy the Project Ozone 2 folder over from the twitch install location. That's what I did, and never had to load up twitch again.

Personally not a fan of the twitch/curse system. Too many layers built in. The FTB launcher was much more streamline.

Reactions: Reddis

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Never liked the native launcher. The JAR launcher is far more informative on crashes. Not everything gives a proper crash report, but the info you get in that stream of text from the JAR launcher is far more informative than the pretty much the "launch failed" you get from the native launcher.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I guess this explains why my "Jar Launcher" seems to be permanently stuck on the announcement that "Minecraft has now released version 1.11.2"!!

I guess i recall some notice that the Jar Launcher wouldn't be updated anymore, but I generally don't pay much attention to such things unless and until it forces a change in my old habits.

But for a long time now, every time I start up a Minecraft session, I utter the same thing: "Hey you numbskulls, Minecraft is up to v1.12.2 now, update your News, you lazy bums!" LOL

But I have the same complaint with the FTB News too, their latest update is from early March and here we are in late April now. So its sort of like a common theme with Minecraft in general... News updates are always way behind. LOL

T

TheBiscuit

Bonjour, j'ai un problème, qui est que quand je lance pour jouer à project ozone 3 ou d'autres modpack sur la version de lancement jar c'est pas possible car le lanceur est obsolète et quand je suis sur la version où Twitch lance, le jeu ce lance pas et affiche une erreur, aidez moi svp :/

ireliasu

Sep 13, 2019
i have this exact same problem and for some reason twitch desktop app wont let me update my launcher settings....

Reactions: lunarixa

Vikkydestroyer

Oct 16, 2019
The twitch desktop app has 2 launchers it can use, by default install it should be the newer "native launcher" and there is the old jar launcher (1.6.84).

Native Launcher
View attachment 35515

Jar Launcher
View attachment 35512

To change the launcher used: go to file - settings, scroll down to minecraft on the left and select. On the right scroll down till you see Launcher method & select the one you wish to use.
View attachment 35506 View attachment 35509

With mine it automatically switches back to jar how do I fix this?

Cryptix

Jan 4, 2020

Native Launcher
View attachment 35515

Jar Launcher
View attachment 35512

View attachment 35506 View attachment 35509

I'm trying to use the Badlion Client and I don't know how to change the launcher to it using those directions could you please help me.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
I'm trying to use the Badlion Client and I don't know how to change the launcher to it using those directions could you please help me.

Ask the developers of that client for support.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
On the Mac side of things, the Minecraft Launcher in the Twitch app has been broken often enough long enough that while I still use it to build my custom packs and track mod updates, I've gone ahead and installed forge on the vanilla launcher and copy the mods over to that instance to actually play. Getting to the vanilla Minecraft instance folder is a little less straightforward, I think the file path is something like users/library/application support/minecraft/ so I linked to the folders I need once I found them on the favorites bar. I also maintain a list of current mod versions and any config changes I make.

thunderblaze996

May 17, 2020
I've read all of these comments and right now Im trying to switch from native launcher to jar launcher. For whatever reasons there isn't a done button and whenever I switch from settings and back to twitch it goes right back to the jar launcher even though I clicked on native launcher. When I try to play mods in opens the 1.6.91 launcher and it also is stuck on loading... How do I fix this.

(Im on mac OS if that helps)

Reactions: TruthSeek3r

TruthSeek3r

May 25, 2020
On the Mac side of things, the Minecraft Launcher in the Twitch app has been broken often enough long enough that while I still use it to build my custom packs and track mod updates, I've gone ahead and installed forge on the vanilla launcher and copy the mods over to that instance to actually play. Getting to the vanilla Minecraft instance folder is a little less straightforward, I think the file path is something like users/library/application support/minecraft/ so I linked to the folders I need once I found them on the favorites bar. I also maintain a list of current mod versions and any config changes I make.
I've read all of these comments and right now Im trying to switch from native launcher to jar launcher. For whatever reasons there isn't a done button and whenever I switch from settings and back to twitch it goes right back to the jar launcher even though I clicked on native launcher. When I try to play mods in opens the 1.6.91 launcher and it also is stuck on loading... How do I fix this.

(Im on mac OS if that helps)

I'm in the same boat and just came here to say this in case anyone is as well. In my case I'm on macOS and Twitch always loads Minecraft 1.6.91 and it doesn't let you save the "use native launcher' option.