Trying to locate End Portal, but eyes lead to nothing?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Now I have my Ender pearls, I decided to make up some Eyes of Ender and use them to see if I could locate the End Portal. I followed the Eye of Ender for several hundred blocks until it pointed down, I dig down and down...

Eventually I reached a point where the eye would just hang motionless in the air, at about level 30. But there was no end portal and no dungeon, there was however an abandoned mineshaft there.

Is there more than one end portal/dungeon in a world? Or did mine get overwritten by an abandoned mine-shaft?

Any info appreciated.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
theres 3 strongholds per world.
and those eyes can be a bit odd at times, they seem to lock onto a different portal from time to time other than the one that's closest.

explore the shaft a bit and see if you cant find anything.

run back toward the worlds 0/0, go a few hundred beyond it, and try again.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
From what I remember of vanilla mechanics, strongholds appear within a 1000 block radius of 0,0. I normally started around 500,0; -500,0; 0,500; and 0,-500. Personal choice really.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
It's (apparently) possible that the code that influences the end portal generator got changed (by a mod, update, update to a mod, or whatever). Odds are where that code thinks the portals should be "now" (which is where the eyes lead you), wasn't where it thought they should be when the chunks in concern were generated.

I would hope that that's not what's happened, and that it's simply the case that the mineshaft generated over the portal (meaning that other portals should be relatively easy to find). I've had a mineshaft partially cover a portal room before (only narrowly missing the portal itself), and others have reported the same.

Note that if the ender eye leads you to a spot and there's no portal there, you certainly shouldn't expect to find one in the nearby vicinity. Searching nearby will tell you if a stronghold spawned there at all, though.

This thread is likely worth a read.

Last edited:

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I remember in a vanilla world there was a stronghold or two that generated without a portal. Hopefully the other two are fine.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
Keep in mind with mods that add to the world gen the strongholds may not generate or gen somewhere other then they normally would. The eyes will lead you to where 'default' minecraft would have placed the stronghold for that 'seed'. In my world, the eye points to nothing, yet I found the stronghold a 100 or so blocks away from it, partly exposed thanks to a revine.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Thanks for the tips, I followed the advice and went back to 0,0 and estimated a 120 degree arc from the last location I went to and began searching, soon found another stronghold complete with portal and some amazing terrain as well.

Thanks again :)

I

Iamlostcuzofendereye

This is no help i am lost in Minecraft i beat ghast zombiepigman named a squid killed.a blaze all i want to do is kill the ender dragon

I

Iamlostcuzofendereye

Do i need to dig cuz i did and it keeps bringing me back through lava and stuff so i am in creative so what to do