Trying to figure out an efficient layout

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
If you have seen the other thread about what mods I should add to my personal mod collection for my personal friends and family server, I wanted to focus on putting magic and tech synergy into it.

So, I'm trying to figure out how I would want to set up the mods in a room in my base that makes as efficient use of space as possible, focusing on the following mods:
Blood Magic (plus blood utils and Technomancy),Thumcraft (Plus tinkerer, exploration, energistics, and automagy), AE2 (including intelligent energistics), Botania, Forbidden magic.

In other rooms I'm planning on using my other mod items from Mekanism, thermal foundation/exploration, etc. However I am trying to figure out how to arrange the magitech room to have it all work together in as close to seamlessly as possible.

Anybody have any idea what kind of size room I'll need, first off? Would I need it to build in layers? Suddenly I'm wishing node stabilizers could be placed on walls.

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic, AE2, and Thaumcraft take up a ton of space. I believe the best BM altar is 17x17 (but it could be 19x19, it's been awhile) and you also need room in the vicinity (above, below, or next to) for a well of suffering. As for thaumcraft, you need room for an infusion altar, node storage and wand recharge, loads and loads of essentia bottles, your alchemy setup, and the research table with bookcases/crystals that allow it to passively collect research points. (If that's still a thing.. last I played TC was in Agrarian Skies.)

AE2 is a whole 'nother beast these days. If you want to do autocrafting at any scale, you have to return to the days of having walls of crafters (molecular assemblers, in AE2 parlance) with interfaces plugged into them. You can hide these if you wish, but they are very pretty. You *can* use very few crafters, but you end up waiting a long time for crafting to complete. Now it's all about designing your system to reduce processing time. I'm very early into AE2, but I just watched a YouTuber set up like 24 molecular assemblers just for planks because he has a recipe that uses like 15,000 per final product. In fact, after watching his video I changed my mind about how much room I needed for AE. I'll be doing a 64x64 hole to bedrock filled with all my autoprocessing with just a "lab" building on the surface for access to the various terminals and machines for on-demand crafting and processing.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic, AE2, and Thaumcraft take up a ton of space. I believe the best BM altar is 17x17 (but it could be 19x19, it's been awhile) and you also need room in the vicinity (above, below, or next to) for a well of suffering. As for thaumcraft, you need room for an infusion altar, node storage and wand recharge, loads and loads of essentia bottles, your alchemy setup, and the research table with bookcases/crystals that allow it to passively collect research points. (If that's still a thing.. last I played TC was in Agrarian Skies.)

AE2 is a whole 'nother beast these days. If you want to do autocrafting at any scale, you have to return to the days of having walls of crafters (molecular assemblers, in AE2 parlance) with interfaces plugged into them. You can hide these if you wish, but they are very pretty. You *can* use very few crafters, but you end up waiting a long time for crafting to complete. Now it's all about designing your system to reduce processing time. I'm very early into AE2, but I just watched a YouTuber set up like 24 molecular assemblers just for planks because he has a recipe that uses like 15,000 per final product. In fact, after watching his video I changed my mind about how much room I needed for AE. I'll be doing a 64x64 hole to bedrock filled with all my autoprocessing with just a "lab" building on the surface for access to the various terminals and machines for on-demand crafting and processing.

O_O

Holy moly... that's a huge space for crafting. What recipe would need 15,000 planks?

Wow. Yeah I last checked 19x19 is the most comfortable space needed for the altar. Then you want something similarly sized for your runic infusion altar if you want a stable setup. Though with the way the blood altar is in a pyramidal shape I'm thinking I can fit the infusion altar underneath the blood altar and have the well of suffering beneath that in a separate room.

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
O_O

Holy moly... that's a huge space for crafting. What recipe would need 15,000 planks?

Wow. Yeah I last checked 19x19 is the most comfortable space needed for the altar. Then you want something similarly sized for your runic infusion altar if you want a stable setup. Though with the way the blood altar is in a pyramidal shape I'm thinking I can fit the infusion altar underneath the blood altar and have the well of suffering beneath that in a separate room.

He was making the highest tier solar panels for an RF based power mod in the ModSauce modpack. Maybe ExtraGenerators? Or something. Each completed panel requires thousands of glass and wood plus a bunch of other resources.

Make sure you leave enough room under your infusion altar for stabilizing elements. IMHO it just looks much neater and less cluttered to do the stabilization underneath. Stability is *really* important for a few TC addons, but the base mod wasn't as persnickety about max stability the last time I played it.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
He was making the highest tier solar panels for an RF based power mod in the ModSauce modpack. Maybe ExtraGenerators? Or something. Each completed panel requires thousands of glass and wood plus a bunch of other resources.

Make sure you leave enough room under your infusion altar for stabilizing elements. IMHO it just looks much neater and less cluttered to do the stabilization underneath. Stability is *really* important for a few TC addons, but the base mod wasn't as persnickety about max stability the last time I played it.

So I was thinking of putting the infusion altar on a layer of vibrant quartz glass and having the stabilizing agents the block underneath that in a layer.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
Setup idea.png
This is the setup I have in mind for optimal usage. I don't have a top-down layout yet since I'm still working it out. I figure having an ME terminal available at each area would be the best for ensuring optimal use of the ME storage system. I intend to have an infusion interface setup at the infusion altar to make use of stores Essentia.

As for the well of suffering, I discovered that the thaumcraft golems get hit by the ritual as well, so perhaps I can use some Hopperhocks from Botania (the dirt block surrounded by stone brick in four areas around the cursed earth layer that connect to ender chests synched to the one attached to my ME import bus to catch any kinds of loot drops. I am going to have monster spawners for mobs that don't spawn in the overworld like blazes.

rungok

Jul 29, 2019
I am at work so Paint was all I have to work with :p

I didn't even have graph paper or anything so I could make it scaled properly. Oh well. I think it manages to get the point across?