Trouble with FTB Server: Connection Timed Out

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
N

nightcipher

Title:
Trouble with FTB Server: Connection Timed Out
Launcher Version:
Modpack:
FTB Infinity Evolved
Modpack Version:
Log Link:
Details of the issue:
Server starts just fine, but after trying to connect from any external source (even the host computer via IP address), the connection times out. Connecting to the server via localhost works fine on the hosting computer.

Port forwarding is already set up for the standard minecraft port of 25565, which is also the server port set in server properties.

Pinging the server IP from any computer also times out.

Exact message from FTB console:

[01:07:11] [Client thread/INFO]: Connecting to 71.234.43.229, 25565
[01:07:32] [Server Connector #4/ERROR]: Couldn't connect to server
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information: /71.234.43.229:25565
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_66]
at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_66]
at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doFinishConnect(NioSocketChannel.java:191) ~[NioSocketChannel.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.finishConnect(AbstractNioChannel.java:228) ~[AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:497) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:447) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:341) ~[NioEventLoop.class:?]
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:101) ~[SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_66]

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
is there a firewall on the server you need to open for traffic on port 25565 as well

N

nightcipher

I already made an exception in the firewall to open port 25565. I'v also tried turning the firewall completely off, and the request still times out. Pinging the server when the firewall is disabled also returns a "request timed out" error.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Does your Antivirus software also have a built in firewall? I know mine does.

Some other things to try: Since testing to local host works. Try a separate computer on the same network (inside your home) and see if that connects. If that works then the server is fine. Then do the external test (a friend at his home or something). If that fails take a look at your port forward and the IP addresses on the router.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
if you added ip in server.properties - remove that as well

N

nightcipher

ISSUE RESOLVED.

The problem came from a change in my port forwarding settings. My internal IP address on the custom service did not match what my actual IPv4 address was. Connections are working fine now.

Reactions: grandrolf