Tropical hives needed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
A

Anton_

...but I have no Jungle biomes.

I'm playing along with DW20's LP S9, and his modpack, with BoP initiated when I started. So, loads of biomes, but none of them are Jungle. I've overflown quite a large area (Angel Ring).

/bop tpbiome 21 reports that there are no Jungle biomes - does that mean none spawned at all in my world, or none within radius "X", or none in the areas I've covered?

The usual biome mappers don't seem to work with BoP, unless I've missed something?

I tried Villager (Apiarist) trades, and poked around in his chests and beehouses, but they seem to have only the bees that are native to their environment. In desperation, I even cheated in all the serial trade items they wanted, on two of the blokes, to see if they would offer a Tropical bee at any stage (in which case I would go out and earn the goods honestly, and try again). But no Tropical bees.

Is there anything else I can try?

Edit: To answer my own question about the meaning of "Could Not Find Biome [biomename]!", the wiki says it means "there is none of the biome you want within 10,000 blocks of you. If it says "Could Not Find Biome Undefined!", then that means the biome doesn't exist."

Last edited:
X

Xenulus

Im experimenting with bees myself, as I dont have a lot of experience with the mod. But I know you can cross breed bees to create new ones. Try searching for a tropical drone in JEI and see if there are recipes for it. If you can cross breed two other bees to make a tropical then it should show you.

A

Anton_

Im experimenting with bees myself, as I dont have a lot of experience with the mod. But I know you can cross breed bees to create new ones. Try searching for a tropical drone in JEI and see if there are recipes for it. If you can cross breed two other bees to make a tropical then it should show you.
Tropical bees, like Meadow, Forest, and a few others, are so-called "hive" bees - you can't craft them, the only way to lay your hands on them is to find a hive. and the hives seem to be more or less confined to Jungle biomes.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Alternately, you may be able to get certain bees by tossing them into a Botania Mana pool, possibly with an Alchemy Catalyst. I know you can do that in some packs, but I don't know if it's native function or something specific to those packs.

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
On top of that, if you have Gendustry and Common Bees, you can use a Mutatron to turn Bees into anything it can mutate into. I'm not sure if it needs 2 different kinds of bees to work, or if a Common/Common would work to get base Hive bees.

For an example of Gendustry at work, checkout the last 4 or so dw20 Let's Play videos. He just built a Gendustry lab for Ghastly Bees.

X

Xenulus

Tropical bees, like Meadow, Forest, and a few others, are so-called "hive" bees - you can't craft them, the only way to lay your hands on them is to find a hive. and the hives seem to be more or less confined to Jungle biomes.
Well there you go. I just learned something about bees, haha.

Verigen

Jul 29, 2019
If you are playing in a BoP game then tropical hives can also be spawned in the rainforest biome.

A

Anton_

If you are playing in a BoP game then tropical hives can also be spawned in the rainforest biome.

Oh, didn't know that!

Unfortunately "/bop tpbiome 78" says there are are no rainforests within 10,000 blocks either :(

A

Anton_

On top of that, if you have Gendustry and Common Bees, you can use a Mutatron to turn Bees into anything it can mutate into. I'm not sure if it needs 2 different kinds of bees to work, or if a Common/Common would work to get base Hive bees.
My Advanced Mutatron will not accept a Common Princess and a Common Drone at the same time - one or the other, but not both.

For an example of Gendustry at work, checkout the last 4 or so dw20 Let's Play videos. He just built a Gendustry lab for Ghastly Bees.
As I said in my original post, I'm playing along with DW20's LP S9. I got bored with his faffing around making his bee room look purty so, while I was waiting for him to get on with it, I cut my bee-teeth on working out how to get to a Ghastly myself, a couple of days ahead of his video :)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
10k blocks? Why such a short distance to look? I've gone several times that looking for a desert in some worlds, so don't give up.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, having biome dependant things is a big reason I m hesitant to add BoP to my world gen. The variation of biomes is a nice aesthetic sometimes, but spacing out the things I need to move forward with my game can be frustrating enough without it sometimes.

If you want them legit, you may have to track a Jungle down.

X

Xenulus

I would recommend traveling out 10k blocks and make that check again, another 10k, check again. You're bound to find one eventually. Take a device with you that you can use to teleport back home so that you dont have to travel all the way back. Thats what I would do.

A

Anton_

I would recommend traveling out 10k blocks and make that check again, another 10k, check again. You're bound to find one eventually. Take a device with you that you can use to teleport back home so that you dont have to travel all the way back. Thats what I would do.
Honestly, having biome dependant things is a big reason I m hesitant to add BoP to my world gen. The variation of biomes is a nice aesthetic sometimes, but spacing out the things I need to move forward with my game can be frustrating enough without it sometimes.

If you want them legit, you may have to track a Jungle down.
I think that's what I'm going to have to do. Thanks for the tips!