tree farms, what can be used?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a list as to what actually works with a tree farm aka arboretum.. what saplings can be used etc.?

Any help would be good or a link to where I can see :)

SyberSmoke

Jul 29, 2019
As a suggestion, if your looking to make a tree farm to just produce wood. Look into ComputerCraft and Turtles.

Andy Logger is a great program that allows you to manage a farm up to 128 trees with a single turtle.
Ultimate Wood Chopper is also another one, unlike Andy logger this program deals with 2x2 trees like redwood and Fir (Fir is preferred).

Both of them are well automated but Andy Logger takes a little more setup as you need to build the collection pit your self. But it is not hard at all. I hope this helps, turtles are awesome tools and can do many many things.

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
i think the main reason behind it is so we can eventually use the saplings for biomass

SyberSmoke

Jul 29, 2019
Saplings are a bad source of material for making Biomass/Biofuel. Your better off using Sugar Cane for the most part. But if you are after saplings, then both of these logging programs would also work as you can generate allot of saplings, especially with UWC as it has the ability to use Bone meal to rip through trees like mad.

But I have made a number of BioFuel systems and I do prefer Sugarcane. You can augment it using orchards later to grow apples, squeeze them into juice and you increase biomass production by 50%.

Stimo

Jul 29, 2019
Im using Ultimate :)[DOUBLEPOST=1371242273][/DOUBLEPOST]
Saplings are a bad source of material for making Biomass/Biofuel. Your better off using Sugar Cane for the most part. But if you are after saplings, then both of these logging programs would also work as you can generate allot of saplings, especially with UWC as it has the ability to use Bone meal to rip through trees like mad.

But I have made a number of BioFuel systems and I do prefer Sugarcane. You can augment it using orchards later to grow apples, squeeze them into juice and you increase biomass production by 50%.

Do you have any videos, or good tutorials for bio systems as im new to it and need the help

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
Direwolf20 covers how to set up a Steve's Carts tree farm in his Season 5 series. It works the same in Ultimate. I have one that runs 4 HP boilers, 2 liquid, 2 solid fueled, net positive on Biofuel and on Wood.

SyberSmoke

Jul 29, 2019
Well...how to do it and best setup are all relative. I can tell you how I do it. I use a farm to make wheat, The wheat is sent into a chest and an autocrafting table combines it with dirt to make compost. The compost is the catalyst to make biomass. The Farmer and Combine do not need anything really but MJ and seed/dirt to run. But you should look to alternate methods as 1.5.2 and the latest forestry will remove those items.

To get the Sugarcane, I use a Sugarcane harvester, if I have space for it I plant a couple 21x21 fields...or I can use two fields carefully stacked per harvester. Sugarcane is a weed and grows very fast. After that the cane and compost go into a fermenter. Cane will enter from the top while compost enters from the bottom. Power and water/juice can come in from any where. All you need to do then is suck out the Biomass.

As a special note, I prefer to use Liquiducts to transport fluids, they are less of a logistical nightmare. But I have used waterproof pipes also. Once you have your Biomass, you can pump it into a tank or send it to stills for processing into biofuel. To save on pipes, I use combustion engines...one attached to each still. They provide plenty of MJ and the still fuels them with plenty to spare. Just make sure they have enough water or BOOM!. Pump in Biomass, prime one engine, fill the other engines (One Fermenter can produce enough to run four stills if set up right) with the biofuel then off it goes.

The biggest issue if getting enough cane or saplings depending on your bent into the system as the fermenter at full power will blow through a stack of cane in about 90 seconds. I have my cane barrel and compost chest attached to Red Power filters and those on timers so when each thing runs out the timer will pulse and the filter will send out a stack. You should do stacks or half stacks if you use a timer as pulsing one cane every 1.2 seconds can cause ALLOT of lag.

Reactions: Stimo

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a list as to what actually works with a tree farm aka arboretum.. what saplings can be used etc.?

Any help would be good or a link to where I can see :)
In 1.4.7, forestry's farms only run out of vanilla and forestry's sapplings.Steve's carts farms only run out of vanilla sapplins althought in 1.5 they run with natura's too