Treasure Hunting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Boomaholic

Jul 29, 2019
So how many other people have had the awesome luck in finding a bacon portal gun in a totem chest?

I was just wondering around a flat plains age looking a the page library and I found this awesome chest! Also got an Axe of the stream from a Greatwood tree chest not that far off on top of it

YooKahZee

Jul 29, 2019
I usually find lots in chests! Whats a totem chest though? And any tips on finding them?

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
I usually find lots in chests! Whats a totem chest though? And any tips on finding them?

One of several TC3 additions. It is a square structure roughly 9x9 with a chest in the center and a Pigman spawner under it. You may/will encounter wisps as well so be careful.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
I've gotten two portal guns, an axe of the stream, and the shovel of the earthmover from chests under trees and in those totems. Pretty lucky world for me.

Boomaholic

Jul 29, 2019
Definitely have to say Flat Plains ages is a plethora of goodies for Thaumcraft3. Silverwood & Greatwood trees, Totems, Dungeon mound galor! If it wasn't for Slow mining instability I'd be a perfect age for me :)

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
A really easy way (for me anyways) to find lots of treasures like that is to just create a new MystCraft Age, and explore a bit around the spawn. I usually just tell it to be a flat, single plains biome, and so far it has gotten me a ton of really neat loot! Best of luck, and remember to always bring a linking book so as not to get stuck in the mystcraft age

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Wisp spawners? Man, I really need to get some better armor before I go treasure hunting again! Thanks for the heads up

:D In a custom modpack world, I managed to quickly run in there, empty the chest, and accidentally leap off a hill to my death in my mad rush to get out. (Luckily, my friend retrieved my stuff.) Without armor, so just so long as you're careful and fast, it's not too hard.

Reactions: Guswut

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
:D In a custom modpack world, I managed to quickly run in there, empty the chest, and accidentally leap off a hill to my death in my mad rush to get out. (Luckily, my friend retrieved my stuff.) Without armor, so just so long as you're careful and fast, it's not too hard.
So you got everything safely but then fell off a hill to your death? Sounds like you have worse luck than me! Good think your friend could grab your gear for you, but I don't suppose something that handy comes along in a single player world :(

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
So you got everything safely but then fell off a hill to your death? Sounds like you have worse luck than me! Good think your friend could grab your gear for you, but I don't suppose something that handy comes along in a single player world :(

Well, I could've easily gotten there anyway to get my stuff, it was only about 300-500 blocks from our spawn (pretty early, we didn't have any beds yet, and we still are really early in that world.) But, yea, bad luck.

Boomaholic

Jul 29, 2019
Wouldn't your stuff be safe if the chunks unloaded? I thought once a chunk unloads it was a cheap way to keep your items there forever?

Boomaholic

Jul 29, 2019
I just tested, made an age, threw some arrows and stuff on the ground. left, dilly-dallied about for a while doing other stuff went back to that age about 15-20mins later and the arrows were still there... no chunkloaders, just a fresh, hunger and poison ridden age right out of the gate.

plzent3r

Jul 29, 2019
I thought entities in unloaded chunks instantly despawned?
If the area that the entities are in is not currently loaded, it will not despawn the items, but instead the game will decide that until that area is loaded again, it will not mess with the items what so ever. So you could throw down some items in the nether (No chunkloader of course), come back whenever you felt like it, and unless lava or some other form of deleting items had gotten to them, your items should still be right where you left them. That recently happened to me after I forgot that I made my nether portal my temporary trash bin. Got an inventory full of cobble and dirt, just when I least expected it.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, since (3.0.3?) they've had Wisp spawners instead of Pigman spawners.

This is good to know, I haven't been regularly updating my packs because each time I do it breaks my worlds, removes additional mods I have added, and causes me to have to rework configs... This launcher has to be the least efficient in regard to updates... Totally redownloading the mod folder and deleting the old one just seems like an ancient way to do things...