Request Toast The World: A New Twist On Alcohol Mods

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I've been working on a modpack of late, and as often happens when I'm updating a modpack, I started looking through all the most recent and interesting mods out there. I kept stumbling across brewing mods, and of those that didn't have to do with brewing potions, they essentially had to do with making alcohol that had potion-like effects. Often they included silly side-effects or seriously OP positive effects.

It may just be me, but that seems more than a little redundant and boring, and so I started brewing (heh. heh.) up an idea of my own. Something that would provide hours of fun for explorers and farmers alike, and give benefits that could be lasting, worth the effort, but without being too stupidly OP.

Thus was born the foundation concept for "Toast the World!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It Starts:

The world is full of strange and wonderful ingredients and mankind has, from the beginning of the time, found new and interesting ways to make them into alcoholic drinks. The number of varieties and permutations of alcoholic drink are seemingly endless. From your basic beer, to wine, mead, and the more unusual fermented horse milk favorite of the mongols, if it can be made alcoholic, we've drank it.

Explorers:
Those players who are explorers will be able to plumb the depths of the world, travel to far off places, and bring back all the strange and bizarre ingredients the world has to offer the dedicated libationist (Which is just a fancy word for 'Besotten Drunk'). While they can bring back the usual array of plants from far off reaches, zombie meat gathered from the walking dead, bone dust for that ol' (Bone) Dry Wine, and netherwort for that famous Hell Lager, they can also bring back the most vital part of any Brewer or Vinters Trade.

Yeast:

Now back in the dawn of time, yeast was an unruly beast, and came in as many variations as the flowers in the field. The problem was, it was microscopic (or nearly so), and it certainly wasn't going to just bottle itself up for you. So how did one manage to get yeast? Well, largely they just left the top of the brew vat open and hoped something tasty might decide to go for a dip and leave behind some delicious brew. But soon they realized that different kinds of yeast came from different parts of the world, and one could actually alter the flavor of their resulting libation by using just the right yeast. They just needed to catch the blaggards. Enter the yeast pot... Part sugar, part water, all stirred up in a cauldron with some other things that yeast like, and you take a stroll while nature does her things. When you come back and find something growing in it, congratulations! You caught a strain of yeast (or some strange and perhaps hallucinogenic fungus or bacteria... but hey, no risk no gain, right?)

Once they caught them, they learned how to cultivate them, but that comes later. ;)

Yeast spawns in different biomes and altitudes, and as several types of yeast can exist in any given biome, you can image something of a heat map with different types of yeast available at different points within a plain, and at different altitudes. Only luck and a little bit of knowledge is going to let you get the strain you're really looking for, mostly it's setting out the pot and hoping for the best.

Once you've got it, you can use it in your upcoming brew.

I mean, you can also do it the easy way... That's setting up vat to brew, and just letting whatever falls in fall in.

Ingredients:

Ingredients can be anything (literally anything, the config file would allow you to brew iron ingot ale if you want, you just have to tell the mod that it's a viable ingredient, and what it brings to the party), in a world where people have literally put battery acid, greasy nuts, and cactus worms in a drink to give it its signature flavor, who are we to judge?

A lot of ingredients can be farmed, and there's a few things that just stand as "this is how it works". You have to have hops to make a beer (Well.. Except Lambics, but let's not get particular at this point, neh?), grapes/fruit to make a wine, honey to make a mead, so some things will need the tender loving care of a ground digger.

Brewing/Vinting/Distilling

This is where things get interesting... See, there's a lot to brewing that people don't consider. What kind of barrel did you let it brew in? Did you use an iron pot? A gold one? Did you let it age in an oaken cask? A birch one? How long did you let it sit? Did you throw in an apple or two? A sprinkling of redstone dust? What did you bottle it in? Did you distill it? Once? Twice? Three times the charm?

Distilling Vinting and Brewing will be a convoluted and complex process capable of producing literally hundreds of different kinds of alcohol (or just a few dozen, as it suits you).

Wait, You promised interesting benefits and results, what about those?
Yeah mate, we'll get to them, not quite yet, though.. Sit down and have another drink, and let's talk about the hallmark of the true alcohol connoisseur. Sampling and collections.

Sampling

This here is a fancy term for "knocking back a drink". Whenever you take a drink, you expand your palette and understanding of the glory of the drink. When you do this, you get to add a little mark to your little black book of drunkenness, and start on your path to collections.

Collections

Collections are groupings of different types of drinks. They can be flavors (Citrus Drinks, Bitter Drinks, Apple Drinks), or types (Pale Ales, Bitters, Lagers, Weisbeir, etc), etc. It'll vary a bit depending on the whim of yer drinkmaster (configure that up, you crazy modpacks), though there's a base set for those too stewed to bother.

Intrinsics:

Here's where we get to the fun stuff. As you complete a collection, you get a permanent intrinsic trait that gives you some small (yes, configurable) benefit.

It could be a small boost to your healing rate.

A permanent buff to your health (more hearts)

A boost to beneficial potion length or effectiveness (You know a thing or two about drinking)
A reduction in negative potion lengths/effectiveness (And how to deal with a hangover)
A resistance to explosions (You've been blasted plenty of times)
A reduction to the speed at which hunger is consumed (liquid diets make you hardy)

or any number of a dozen other things I'm not going to list out here. No more wacky potion effects, and a reason to explore the world and sample the finer things in life.

So There It Is:

The wacky idea spawned from a desire to make brewing and vinting a fun and rewarding experience, and a reason for there to be hundreds of varieties of booze. Even better, those intrinsics could be temporary! Just make it so your sample duration isn't infinite, and when it wears off you've got to top off with another drink to finish out the collection.

Finally, a reason for SMP Taverns!

Last edited:

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
Well, an idea for this would be that beer gives you the smae saturation value as bread. I heard somewhere that a glass of beer is as good as a bread or something like that

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to avoid anything that emulated another part of the game, hence staying away from potion effects for booze. Though there's no reason alcohol couldn't have food like benefits... Which leads the way to drunkenness being a factor if overused in place of food.

But as I said, it seems like it would best be applied with no benefits along the road, just the (optionally)permanent intrinsics at the end.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I may toy around with this, as it sounds quite fun both to play and make..

Glad to hear you liked the idea, I came up with it in one fell swoop sometime after midnight. XD I have a list of suggested intrinsics if you'd like more info.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Reminds me of my own notes on Drunkraft.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to hear you liked the idea, I came up with it in one fell swoop sometime after midnight. XD I have a list of suggested intrinsics if you'd like more info.
Honestly, I've brewed on it for a bit, and I doubt I'll be able to get to it any time soon. With all the things I have going (college, Flaxbeard's Steam Power dev, various MediaWiki extensions, and all my other dozens of projects), taking on a large project such as this myself would be unwise :(

Reactions: Type1Ninja

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I've brewed on it for a bit, and I doubt I'll be able to get to it any time soon. With all the things I have going (college, Flaxbeard's Steam Power dev, various MediaWiki extensions, and all my other dozens of projects), taking on a large project such as this myself would be unwise :(

Completely understandable, especially if it was to be done correctly and not slap-shod or half-arsed. Available to be a resource for questions? I'm starting down my own modding path, but I don't think I'd be able to pop the top on this one for a while yet. But there are useful tools I could pick up along the way. ;)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I think a potion/enchantment library would be beneficial here. I know I'd love to add a handy recipe manager myself, but it needs a means to declare positive/negative effects as well as duration.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I think a potion/enchantment library would be beneficial here. I know I'd love to add a handy recipe manager myself, but it needs a means to declare positive/negative effects as well as duration.

Lethosos -> You're missing the point. The brews themselves do nothing. When you complete a collection of brews you've sampled, you get a permanent intrinsic. I am specifically avoiding potion effects on consumption. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say here. :)

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, so your implementation is different than my cumulative BAL limit. That's fine, I'm more interested in the techy bits anyways.

I'm still gonna look into the library anyways.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
I can't say that the techy bits are a bad thing :D. I'm curious about your BAL though! Tell me more tell me more?

Two ideas can certainly merge!

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Basically, I build in a hidden value to each type of alcohol that adds together with each bottle you inhibe. (Stronger spirits have stronger effects, but comes with a higher BAL value.) At certain thresholds, you start experiencing negative effects like nausea effects, slowness, up to death. The BAL value goes down to zero once an overall potion timer ends.

I do intend to have effects stack, too, so this is a nice way to keep it useful without being OP.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
An example:

The BAL timer is (let's say) 30 min., max threshold is 100.

Straight beer gives a Strength I effect, and has a BAL value of 15.

I chug 4 beers, now I have Strength IV and my screen is wobbling a bit. Not really enough to interfere with hitting stuff.

Then I down two more beers. Strength VI now, but dang, am I a mess! Might even hurt myself with all this nausea effect, perhaps dropping my stuff by accident?

One more beer--oh wait, the timer isn't over yet. Oops. Death's door and a funny death message after.

That's basically how the BAL system works.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
That's a clever approach, I must admit! My whole thing was trying to avoid "yet another potion mod" reskinned as alcohol, but that BAL thing has some serious merit to it.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. I was inspired by real-world effects of alcohol consumption. In fact, much of my plans are based on the aspects of creation and consumption of alcohol as they work in the real world translated into Minecraft.

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
We're on the same page there, so Colluding on the real life aspects of brewing (like the random acquisition of natural born yeast. ;) And then culturing it later) are things that we could talk shop about.

Note: My Fiance is a hobby brewer/distiller, so I've learned a lot by osmosis.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I do a lot of research and have traveled to a few facilities myself. I even know where the best (IMO) beer and vodka in the USA is, and have seen their setups up close.

Like coffee, it's all about the water. (Or so they say.)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
This could also just be a RP mod like Pam's Harvestcraft. With no real gameplay benefits, I mean there is a market for it, a small one but it's there.
Could even interact with mods like Spice of Life where drinking a specific drink with a specific food makes it more satisfying feeding you a bit longer.
Actually it might be outside the scope of your idea you could add a satisfaction mechanic. The higher your satisfaction level you get minor buffs. The alcohol could give you a small boost to satisfaction. But drink too much and you get a hangover. You can eithet get a headache which will periodically make a red overlay pulse for a second. Or you can feel seedy which will periodically cause a second of nausea when you move. Both will lower your satisfaction.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: LunariusH

LunariusH

Jul 29, 2019
Pam's Harvestcraft has decidedly greater than RP benefits when paired with Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life. ;) Just saying. It's an important game mechanic at that point.

Edit: That mechanic you mentioned with Spice of Life *does* have a specific benefit with it though. By pairing drinks with food you essentially can cut the number of foods that appear in your backlog in half... That bears consideration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree though, the act of hunting down and brewing and experimenting should be fun enough in and of itself to promote gameplay for no other reason than that.

But the intrinsic rewards at the end are things not presently done by most mods, and I will admit are specifically tailored to the environment being formed by a modpack I'm working on rather diligently.

Not bad ideas though!

However, for this idea I was specifically staying away from "Drunkenness" and "Potion-Like Effects" due to the number of other alcohol related mods that have done that or similar. As there is no immediate benefit to drinking (until you've sampled a collection) I saw little point to making a negative effect except for humor factor.