Tinkers Construction New Tools!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Keeshi

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, if you have been playing the 0.6 update to FTB Beta(no greg for me) TC got some new tools and WOW..

I started with just the Hammer, made of normal stone, and used it to mine, and wow, I got my first diamond, threw that on it, and started with Lapis and Redstone, and omg, its FUN to mine again.

Anyone else playing around with the new tools for TC?

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, if you have been playing the 0.6 update to FTB Beta(no greg for me) TC got some new tools and WOW.
I started with just the Hammer, made of normal stone, and used it to mine, and wow, I got my first diamond, threw that on it, and started with Lapis and Redstone, and omg, its FUN to mine again.
Anyone else playing around with the new tools for TC?

Why put a diamond on a stone tool? It's kind of a waste of a diamond since stone is pretty low dur even with the diamond and can be gotten endlessly. And then lapis, that's something you'd want to put on at least an iron if not better tool to make use of it since stone can't break redstone or diamonds -_-.

I don't wanna talk down on you, but don't waste lapis on a tool that can't get diamonds at least :X

Sheogorath

Jul 29, 2019
Why put a diamond on a stone tool? It's kind of a waste of a diamond since stone is pretty low dur even with the diamond and can be gotten endlessly. And then lapis, that's something you'd want to put on at least an iron if not better tool to make use of it since stone can't break redstone or diamonds -_-.

I don't wanna talk down on you, but don't waste lapis on a tool that can't get diamonds at least :X

for an early game tool it could become extremely efficient because it bumps the mining level up to obsidian, and all it takes to repair the tool is some stone no experience points required. also in-comparison to iridium diamond is pretty common if you go spelunking often enough. I generally slap a diamond on almost all of my tools other than my weapons.

though it adds 500 durability you will need to repair it more often; Unfortunately you can not repair it in the crafting grid , so you would have to carry around a tool station to make it worth while.
which means you will be wasting the ever so dwindling resource known as inventory space.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019

pretty sure tossing a diamond on a tool automatically gives it the ability to mine everything up to and including obsidian

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I forgot about that little bit of the upgrade, but then if you're going to do that why not get some slime crystals to increase the durability and have the stone head for speed? I know if you make a hammer out of full manyullyn it will have 37800 durability, but if you replace the rod and the 1st plate with green slime it goes up to 44100 (at the cost of damage). A full stone hammer (should actually use wood for the second plate if you only use wood and stone) has 1768 dur, while a hammer with a stone head, two slime plates, and a slime rod has 28161 dur. Sure this would take a bit of work to get the slime crystals but it would last a lot longer between repairs which would still only use cobble.

The point being is hopefully you didn't use a diamond on just a stone hammer instead of one with a mix of materials cause the dur is pretty low on just stone.

Edit: But of course you could just do the slime hammer with an obsidian head for reinforced 3, 7.0 mining speed, obisidan level, and 27783 dur.

Reactions: Sheogorath

Keeshi

Jul 29, 2019
Daemon - Yes your right, but this was just my 'test tool' and wanted cheap repair - which after all the upgrades, was only cobble stone. The only bad part was I wasn't able to find any mossy cobble to get my repair upgrade, and I have my basic overworld miner. Later, I can make my Nether Miner tool, which won't be a hammer, but a normal pick I think.

what about the other new tools? I'm not a big fan of the Scythe I was hoping for more dmg or something else I'm not sure, but its not that useful. I'd rather use my Force glove thing.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Scythe is more for taking out groups of enemies, cleaver is good for single target with the built in decapitation, not sure on battleaxe. The lumber axe can fell trees like treecapitator so that helps a lot and the excavator can move lots of dirt and gravel very quickly.

As for the moss upgrade, it's not something worth using on a tool that you use a whole lot. If it's something you use rarely it isn't bad, but if you use it very frequently the repair rate on it only serves to increase the repair cost. Of course, if the repair is percentage based it would help for larger dur tools, but stone tools with mossy on them just get used too fast to make up for the repair cost increase. That's why I mentioned either making a stone tool with green slime attachments or even an obsidian headed tool.

In the stone head + green slime plates and tool rod example you would get over 28k durability which lasts so long with the hammer you might have to repair it once every 50 trips or so depending on how many bags you carry with you. With the obsidian head example it would last even longer with reinforce 3 built into it. Sure, if the plates and the big tool rod each cost 8 materials you're looking at a total of 96 slime balls to make it which is quite an investment, but you save a ton of headache in that it lasts more than 10x as long and as such won't succumb as easily to repair degradation all while still only using stone (or obsidian if you go that route) to repair.

Anyway, back to the other tools. The dart craft stuff is kinda unbalanced right now hence why it's only in the ngt pack. That said, for the weapons you'll want to look into the upgrades such as sharpness and fiery. As I mentioned earlier, scythe is more for large groups of enemies, so the damage is very low, while the cleaver is all about decapitating that one foe. In the end though I don't think any of the TC weapons can really compare to the tool glove from MPS with its railgun, but the tools more than make up for that. Hopefully once mDiyo gets to work on the bows we'll see something amazing though.

Keeshi

Jul 29, 2019
very true bout Dartcraft, I only have the 2nd level tome, and was 1 shotting moves with my fore punch.

I can't WAIT to see what mDiyo does with Bow, or maybe a crossbow or something.

I'll have to try making a Scythe combat upgraded and see how it goes!

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I made a cleaver recently on RR.
I named it my Katinite BLADE OF CLEAVAGE.
Good times... good times.

Sent from boobs (because why not?)

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Bah, and while we were all talking about this he changed how the stats on hammers come about -_- Hammer dur and speed is a function of both the plates and the head and is then multiplied by the handle. What this means is a hammer with a cobalt head and two cobalt plates will have a speed of 11, but a hammer with a cobalt head and two slime plates will have a speed of 4.66. As another example, a hammer made of full manyullyn will have 27000 dur (the numbers were nerfed a bit) and a mining speed of 9, while a tool with a manyullyn head and handle and two cobalt plates will have a dur of 20922 and a speed of 10.33.

What this means is that for the hammer, if you want extra mods from paper you're looking at only the handle, and then the example tool above with many and cobalt will have a dur of only 2519, which means that extra mod will be going to electric, as just replacing one of the cobalt heads with paper lowers the speed by 3.

For anyone wondering about the numbers, a hammer with a cobalt plate, many head and tool rod, and a paper plate with 50 redstone will only have a speed of 10, so a cobalt plate is much better than paper in terms of adding speed to a hammer.

Edit: Yea, the book is off about redstone for hammers. It says .08 speed per redstone, but it's only .05 on the hammer.

Another Edit: Just tried out a hammer with electric on it and...hopefully mDiyo will add a stronger version that requires something like an advanced circuit and a lapotronic battery or w/e the tier 3 one is since the 10k eu from the current electric only lasts about 20 uses on the hammer, give or take a few due to reinforced.