Tinkers Construct: Whats your loadout and why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Im just getting started with TiC and I'm just realizing how many routes there are for all of the different tools. I've read up on efficiency of materials and so forth but putting it all together is still a challenge for me. What is your load out like and why do you set like that?

MrCervelo

Jul 29, 2019
For my pickaxe, I tend to use a Manyullyn Head, Obisdian binding and a blue slime handle. That gives maximum level mining, Reinforced III and the handle durability modifier is 2x (I think).

If I bother with the other tools (Shovel, Hammer etc), I usually put Cobalt on the head for the speed.

I usually make a sword blade out of Manyullyn, with a paper guard and whatever takes my fancy for the hilt. This is for damage.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Im just getting started with TiC and I'm just realizing how many routes there are for all of the different tools. I've read up on efficiency of materials and so forth but putting it all together is still a challenge for me. What is your load out like and why do you set like that?

Which version of TiCo are you playing with? I'll assume 1.7 for now, but things get an overhaul in 1.8->1.9, so results will likely not be useful when moving forward.

That said, I usually have a pair of picks. My everyday "House Pick" is silk touched, and my backup is Fortune to the max. I've been using IguanasTinkerTweaks lately, so Enderium is the top tier in my pack, both in mining level and speed. I've opted for Pig Iron handles on most of my tools, because bacon. Magical Wood bindings round them out. Moss on both. A fair amount of Redstone. Standard fare stuff.

I've been playing around with my weapons this play-through and changing things up quite a bit. Lately I've been rocking an Enderium Battleaxe loaded out with Lapis and Quartz. It hands out a decent beating. It has ingrained knockback. It helps cut trees, albeit awkwardly. I've considered adding atuosmelt so I have a nice charcoal maker, but I've not made up my mind on it.

I have a silk touched scythe for leaf shearing and farm work. I added max Lapis, hoping to see more sapling drops, but didn't really see much difference. Before I turned it into a farming implement (added silk touch), I was using it to clear spider nests from an abandoned mineshaft, thanks to its area of attack.

I also have a cutlass maxed in Lapis and Quartz with a few necrotic bones tossed on for good measure. Enderium blade, Magical Wood guard, and Pig Iron handle. It kills things dead, heals my wounds, and fills my belly with bacon. It is a wonderful tool.

Reactions: Tim Madisun

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Which version of TiCo are you playing with? I'll assume 1.7 for now, but things get an overhaul in 1.8->1.9, so results will likely not be useful when moving forward.

That said, I usually have a pair of picks. My everyday "House Pick" is silk touched, and my backup is Fortune to the max. I've been using IguanasTinkerTweaks lately, so Enderium is the top tier in my pack, both in mining level and speed. I've opted for Pig Iron handles on most of my tools, because bacon. Magical Wood bindings round them out. Moss on both. A fair amount of Redstone. Standard fare stuff.

I've been playing around with my weapons this play-through and changing things up quite a bit. Lately I've been rocking an Enderium Battleaxe loaded out with Lapis and Quartz. It hands out a decent beating. It has ingrained knockback. It helps cut trees, albeit awkwardly. I've considered adding atuosmelt so I have a nice charcoal maker, but I've not made up my mind on it.

I have a silk touched scythe for leaf shearing and farm work. I added max Lapis, hoping to see more sapling drops, but didn't really see much difference. Before I turned it into a farming implement (added silk touch), I was using it to clear spider nests from an abandoned mineshaft, thanks to its area of attack.

I also have a cutlass maxed in Lapis and Quartz with a few necrotic bones tossed on for good measure. Enderium blade, Magical Wood guard, and Pig Iron handle. It kills things dead, heals my wounds, and fills my belly with bacon. It is a wonderful tool.
You seem very knowledgable with TiC, I am using the 1.7 version of the mod however I don't have TinkerTweaks as I'm playing infinity evolved currently.

With that said, do you have any recommendations for tools within infinity evolved?

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Pick: Manyullyn handle, Thaumium binding, Cobalt head.

Added modifiers up to nether star, Fluxed, Fortune III, the rest goes into haste.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
You seem very knowledgable with TiC, I am using the 1.7 version of the mod however I don't have TinkerTweaks as I'm playing infinity evolved currently.

With that said, do you have any recommendations for tools within infinity evolved?

My only experience in Infinity was pre-Evolved, so I've done nothing with Expert Mode. That said, my best advice is to use the best material you can reasonably afford to repair for the head of your tools, then upgrade as the next tier becomes available. It is important, particularly in a resource starved environment, to keep in mind repair material and cost, as having a Cobalt headed pick is nice, but only if you can afford to maintain it. This is usually why I opt Moss on my tools (especially those used infrequently), as it allows them to repair naturally over time. Others are fans of using Capacitors on their tools, but unless I'm planning a massive build, I don't find I ever run my tool out of durability.

Speaking of durability, your handle modifier contributes greatly to the overall durability of the tool. Options like Thaumium (if TC is in your pack) are nice because they have a 1.3x modifier as well as adding another upgrade slot. I'm a big fan of Pig Iron (also 1.3x), myself, because, as I stated above, free bacon.

All of that aside, if you're playing Infinity and they haven't nerfed it yet, build a Signalum Crossbow and some Enderium coated bolts. It's a stupidly powerful machine gun. Seriously, I took down the Ender Dragon in less then ten seconds before I even had it fully upgraded. There is no substitute.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Steel Head, Thaumium Rod, Paper, with a Flux Capacitor, 1 Lapis, and two ranks of redstone. Mines everything but blocks of Manyullyn. That or a Cobalt head for increased mining speed.

Sword is the same but with a cactus guard. I prefer the Longsword myself for the ability to throw myself either up a short vertical, or at an enemy. Though I also keep a rapier on hand. The Rapier is for enemies in high-quality armor, and doesn't get used as often so I go for moss instead of the flux.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Steel Head, Thaumium Rod, Paper, with a Flux Capacitor, 1 Lapis, and two ranks of redstone. Mines everything but blocks of Manyullyn. That or a Cobalt head for increased mining speed.

Sword is the same but with a cactus guard. I prefer the Longsword myself for the ability to throw myself either up a short vertical, or at an enemy. Though I also keep a rapier on hand. The Rapier is for enemies in high-quality armor, and doesn't get used as often so I go for moss instead of the flux.

I usually use steel to skip over alumite in packs without TinkerTweaks. Usually I have a steel sword kicking around somewhere, and it usually gets used up until I have an overabundance of cobalt and ardite.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I have never made a Manyullyn sword. I've made stone and a surprisingly effective cactus sword, Iron and Steel. Alumite looks like the hilarious sex toy weapons from Saints Row, so that's a no. I even made a cobalt one. Never Manyullyn.

Steel is something I use because I can get it in abundance, and I can usually find it in Blacksmith's chests and it lets me do all the things I'd normally need a diamond pick for without dealing with my utterly rotten luck in finding diamonds. Plus it looks much nicer than Alumite, which is entirely too cartoonish for my liking. (Kind of glad it seems gone post 1.8.)

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
The one thing I dislike about TiC is that the pickaxes aren't as good as enchanted diamond pickaxes. That said, my go to pickaxe is a all ardite pickaxe with 0 durability, flux modifier, redstone, or silk touch depending on the scenario. Sword is a manyulln longsword with sharpness and looting.

Is ardite everything with lowest durability and flux the fastest possible pickaxe in TiC?

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm not sure how you get not as good. They're faster, and you get to choose the enchants for a material cost instead of levels and books. Plus a maxed out Cobalt pick makes a diamond pick look like it's wood.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure how you get not as good. They're faster, and you get to choose the enchants for a material cost instead of levels and books. Plus a maxed out Cobalt pick makes a diamond pick look like it's wood.

Yeah but even the mod author said they are not as fast as a enchanted diamond pickaxe.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Despite the seemingly wide variety of materials for Tinker's, I pretty much always go the same route with it... 5 iron ingots+2 aluminum ingots+1 obsidian block = Alumite, which is what I use to make all my first tools. Alumite can mine Cobalt and Ardite in the Nether, so the next step is to obtain both of those and make Manyullyin, which is the best material for handles (tool rods) and for the "working end" as well (sword blades, pickaxe heads).

That's it, that's all I use, 2 materials. And I use obsidian for wide guards and tool bindings to get the extra durability bonus. I don't bother with using paper to get extra modifiers and all that jazz.

From there, depending on the modpack, it may be good to take an extra step beyond Manyullin, such as Enderium or Shiny, but it really depends on the pack.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Wouldn't know. I've only done testing with a diamond pick in a non-survival game world, but even with Efficiency 5, it doesn't seem faster than 10 modifiers of redstone.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I tend to skip both steel and alumite stages in TiCo.

Bronze is enough for early early game. Enough to get buckets anyway. Then I just make a nether portal by the dunking method and go hunting for cobalt.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to skip both steel and alumite stages in TiCo.

Bronze is enough for early early game. Enough to get buckets anyway. Then I just make a nether portal by the dunking method and go hunting for cobalt.

Do you use some other block breaker to obtain your ardite and cobalt? I remember bronze not being a high enough mining level to mine them, hence the need for steel/alumite. I do usually make my first few tools out of bronze though, and I hardly ever upgrade from a bronze lumber axe unless I have TinkerTweaks to upgrade individual parts as I deem fit.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I mostly just like the look of steel. Plus it's pretty cheap. Iron+Time=Steel. (Coal isn't really a cost, since I'm already making that into coke for Creosote.)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Without ExtraTiC, I typically use Cobalt head, paper binding, and as long as Thaum is around, Thaumium handle. The extra modifier is worth the durability.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently using a pickaxe with a steel head, thaumium binding, and a slime handle. I don't really see the point of upgrading to higher materials.

My main weapon is a frying pan with an enderium head and neutronium handle. Only modifier on it is Flux, but I'm considering adding flaming to it.
My secondary weapon is a crossbow with a signalum head and neutronium body firing enderium-tipped neutronium bolts. No Natura in the pack, so had to settle for regular bowstring.