Request Tinker's Construct: Tinker's Weapons

Dragonchampion

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see an addon for Tinker's Construct that adds things like Maces, Halberds, and even Muskets to the game. Add a bit more flair for weapon crafting.

Is there anyone who would be up to the task? I have a few ideas to get started, and I'd help where I can, even though I have no java modding experience whatsoever.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to see an addon for Tinker's Construct that adds things like Maces, Halberds, and even Muskets to the game. Add a bit more flair for weapon crafting.

Is there anyone who would be up to the task? I have a few ideas to get started, and I'd help where I can, even though I have no java modding experience whatsoever.
I'm going to direct you to this post first: http://vazkii.us/uncategorized/what-not-to-when-starting-off-with-modding/
Specifically, read the "Don't assemble a team" section.

Alright. Personally, I dislike Vazkii's tone in that article. It feels mean and superior to me throughout. These forums are *generally* positive, but it's not impossible that you could get a much more toxic response (I'm going to try to stay polite and friendly; in my mind that's how I feel, but words are hard, man. :p). [also that double negative was intentional ;)]
Vazkii's post depicts an unfortunate truth, but it's one you need to work around. The world would be better if life WASN'T like this, but alas, people aren't 100% perfect for every moment of their lives forever.

That said, I also think ideas are important and should be encouraged. I can't help you myself (I've only really dabbled in modding and I'm short on time), and I'm fairly certain nobody else will either (unfortunately). What I CAN do is redirect you to where you can find that knowledge:
Java Tutorial: http://www.learnjavaonline.org/ (I can't vouch for this one; if you're patient you might wait for someone else to respond with a tutorial they've actually tried. Alternatively, dive right in--you'll probably be fine :) [no sarcasm]).
Pahimar's Let's Mod: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQPiZYWovwmnZlgvbHCbz6TefIgeEiVcj (This, on the other hand, is where I learned what little modding I know. ++Highly recommended.)

Programming IS something you can learn. It isn't magic and it isn't just for hyper-skilled math geniuses; you can seriously learn this provided you can spare a little time and effort. I learned what I know completely outside any academic programs; I got the book Java for Dummies (by Barry Burd, if you're at all interested), sat down, and tried to make sense of it. After programming on and off for a couple years, I'm now attempting my own game in my spare time (which is, admittedly, rather slow, but that's 'cause I'm busy. :p). I'm confident that you--or anyone else--can learn this way too. You just need to know where to take the first step (something I have conveniently provided for you ;)).

TL;DR: Nobody will help you. Suck it up and learn to program. (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, truly!).

Hope that helps! :D

Reactions: Ashendale