Tinkers Construct smeltery questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm...maybe in that pack, a smeltery as an ore doubler shouldn't be considered early game but rather only till one has access to iron tools before you're able to start a smeltery? And thus the players of that pack has to use a vanilla furnace till you are able to mine iron before starting TiCo?

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
In FTB/MagicFarm Iron Ore is not yielded with stone tools.

The progression is Flint (tool) -> Copper (tool) -> Bronze (tool) -> Iron (tool)

Flint tools yield Copper Ore and Aluminum Ore (and other non metallic resources)
Copper tools yield Tin Ore, plus whatever Flint tools yield.
Tin and Copper make Bronze, a Bronze Tool yields Iron ore, plus whatever Copper tools yield.

So a crafter can go from dirt-poor to Iron tools (and good iron tools, even steel by adding some coal (Carbon) to the alloy).

But the device to get the Lava (fuel) into the Smeltery is overlooked.

On FTB/MagicFarm (unlike other server mod-packs and vanilla), the bucket is key.

It's not possible on FTB/MagicFarm to craft a bucket to hold Lava w/o iron, hence the catch-22.

I'm tempted to place a bucket into my server's /kit tools in order to solve that gap.
This is one of many reasons why TiCo isn't included in Magic Farm by default (unless that's changed since the last time I played it). MineFantasy and TiCo both change early-game mining and crafting mechanics in ways that really don't work well together.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
MFarm at version 4.0 (we run 4.0) replaced MineFantasy with Tinker's Construct and IguanaTweeks. The Blooms of MFantasy were causing crashes for various reasons.

So, the bottom line is that crafting a bucket is impossible, AFAIK. I would love to be wrong.

There are these "Seared {Stone?} Bucket's" but the Recipe Mode NEI doesn't have a solution to crafting them.

I would prefer not having to "give/kit" the bucket, but I also am not in favor of forcing the players to find them in mine-shaft chests either.

A conundrum.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

The progression is Flint (tool) -> Copper (tool) -> Bronze (tool) -> Iron (tool)

Flint tools yield Copper Ore and Aluminum Ore (and other non metallic resources)
Tin and Copper make Bronze, a Bronze Tool yields Iron ore, plus whatever Copper tools yield.

So a crafter can go from dirt-poor to Iron tools (and good iron tools, even steel by adding some coal (Carbon) to the alloy).

On FTB/MagicFarm (unlike other server mod-packs and vanilla), the bucket is key.

It's not possible on FTB/MagicFarm to craft a bucket to hold Lava w/o iron, hence the catch-22.

I'm tempted to place a bucket into my server's /kit tools in order to solve that gap.

I do not know about the magicfarm pack, but in unleashed we have access to vanilla crafting alongside the TiCO stuff. disabling vanilla would simply break a large number of mods that are dependent on vanilla tools as part of their crafting recipes. I imagine this to be true of some of the magic mods too? So TiCo seems like a bad idea in that pack if vanilla tools are then turned off. adding a mining step between flint and iron is not really adding challenge tho. since metal tools would still require you to get a smeltery. it would simply be a case of make a bronze pick. mine one piece of iron and make an iron/steel pick. instant obsolescence.
whatever mod it is that pushes the bucket up a level on the techtree, should really add some kind of replacement bucket you can get earlier tho. buckets are a vitally important item for a large number of mods.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019

Get Iguana's Tweaks for TiC, it adds a clay bucket which will carry lava when fired, but can only do so once before breaking.
EDIT: Derp, didn't see that you already had.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
I do not know about the magicfarm pack, but in unleashed we have access to vanilla crafting alongside the TiCO stuff. disabling vanilla would simply break a large number of mods that are dependent on vanilla tools as part of their crafting recipes. I imagine this to be true of some of the magic mods too? So TiCo seems like a bad idea in that pack if vanilla tools are then turned off. adding a mining step between flint and iron is not really adding challenge tho. since metal tools would still require you to get a smeltery. it would simply be a case of make a bronze pick. mine one piece of iron and make an iron/steel pick. instant obsolescence.
whatever mod it is that pushes the bucket up a level on the techtree, should really add some kind of replacement bucket you can get earlier tho. buckets are a vitally important item for a large number of mods.
Magic Farm (or, more specifically, the MineFantasy mod included with Magic Farm) significantly changes early-game progression. Some crafting recipes are disabled, and early-game vanilla tools are weakened. The normal progression of Wood > Stone > Iron no longer works without a few intermediate steps.

However, if you build a TiCo pickaxe with a stone, flint, or cactus head (all of which can be made in the part builder rather than requiring the smeltery), I think you can mine iron. You can also do this with a blue or green slime pickaxe head, but those are much harder to get in the early game.

The problem with using Tinkers' Construct in the Magic Farm pack is that it completely breaks the pack's intended tool progression.

EDIT:
disabling vanilla would simply break a large number of mods that are dependent on vanilla tools as part of their crafting recipes
Hence why the Magic Farm pack is so heavily based on the MineFantasy mod, and doesn't use any mods that MineFantasy's modified crafting and mining progression would break.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Magic Farm (or, more specifically, the MineFantasy mod included with Magic Farm) significantly changes early-game progression. Some crafting recipes are disabled, and early-game vanilla tools are weakened. The normal progression of Wood > Stone > Iron no longer works without a few intermediate steps.

However, if you build a TiCo pickaxe with a stone, flint, or cactus head (all of which can be made in the part builder rather than requiring the smeltery), I think you can mine iron. You can also do this with a blue or green slime pickaxe head, but those are much harder to get in the early game.

The problem with using Tinkers' Construct in the Magic Farm pack is that it completely breaks the pack's intended tool progression.

EDIT:
Hence why the Magic Farm pack is so heavily based on the MineFantasy mod, and doesn't use any mods that MineFantasy's modified crafting and mining progression would break.

If the pack does not have Natura as well, then yeah. getting slime early is a bit of a pain. more or less forcing you to find a swamp early on for progression.
with natura however, slimes become so common that they are a real nuisance at times. also. slime trees on floating islands in the sky. them's real common like, and slime is obsidian level mining. (altho slower than wood).
So no matter how you turn it, i suspect that TiCo breaks the packs balance entirely by opening up some rather "easyish" shortcuts in the techtree.

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
Smeltery FAIL: a while back I noticed that you could pump liquid into the seared glass blocks, so I thought I would try using the walls of the smeltery as liquid storage tanks. Unfortunately, it turns out that the seared glass blocks do NOT connect the inventory top & bottom the way the tank blocks do.

smelteryfail.jpg

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Smeltery FAIL: a while back I noticed that you could pump liquid into the seared glass blocks, so I thought I would try using the walls of the smeltery as liquid storage tanks. Unfortunately, it turns out that the seared glass blocks do NOT connect the inventory top & bottom the way the tank blocks do.

View attachment 7888
I'm not sure about this, but if you pump the liquids into the bottom block instead of the top one it might work properly. Dunno what will happen when/if you pump liquids out though.

LunaticMiner

Jul 29, 2019
Not so fun when you need iron, and already have 80 ingots of gold melted down :)
Pour it into casting basins until you have small amounts, then make ingots. Or, just dump it into your choice of fluid storage thing. If you really want to smelt down that much gold, you really need more smelteries, perhaps dedicated to each metal.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Instead of making the smeltery a 3 by 3, is it possible to make it a 5 by 5?
Let @ThatOneSlowking take example from this post.
Ahem.
O6buX04.png

It's already 5x5, but has a internal 3x3 area. In theory one could just enable the config setting that lets one set smelteries to any size one fancies. In reality, that config does SFA. Shame, really.

Reactions: ThorinNL

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Wait, you can change the internal area of the smeltery?

Is it wrong that I immediately thought of making a multiple chunk-sized blood farming apparatus?

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, you can change the internal area of the smeltery?

Is it wrong that I immediately thought of making a multiple chunk-sized blood farming apparatus?
Did you not see my post? The answer is Nope. Though I can't fault you for it. The idea is awesome... if one could use the blood for more then just a slime ball replacement analog.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Oh well, i'm going to go sulk in the corner :(
Don't feel too bad. One can still make a chunk sized(or roughly so) blood factory... it just isn't gonna just be one big smeltery. Nor be a chunk exactly. Nor be useful aside from replacing slime balls. Unless you just wanted the blood as a fluid for decoration. That's still a great and classy use for it.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Decorating my house with blood seems like a noble vocation.

It might be more practical to do it with villager autospawners, railcraft tanks and blood magic though, if that works.

Gelflings villagers would look a lot tidier in a tank full of their living essence :)

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay, to add to the necro here, I do have a question about getting every last drop out of the smeltery...

After crafting some myllenium and cobalt parts for epic... things... I found I have "nuggets" worth of each in the reserves. Is there a way to make a "nugget" cast? I've tried, but no luck.

Just hate seeing those two very thin lines of molten metal I can't use....

Beeze23

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, to add to the necro here, I do have a question about getting every last drop out of the smeltery...

After crafting some myllenium and cobalt parts for epic... things... I found I have "nuggets" worth of each in the reserves. Is there a way to make a "nugget" cast? I've tried, but no luck.

Just hate seeing those two very thin lines of molten metal I can't use....

Try seeing if it'll fill up a tool rod cast?

{eta} better idea below.

Last edited: