Tinker's Construct Bows

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to go all-out and whip up a spreadsheet with some the data we've gathered, just because I'm a geek with time on my hands :p Find it at this link; it's freely editable, so please add in any missing data or correct any errors if you are so inclined :)

I added some of my data, I did not do as comprehensive a testing as what you have going in that google doc, but i did test most of the shafts against the slime arrowhead.

All of my saved arrowhead tests data uses slime rods tho, since only paper did anything interesting apart from the slime rod.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to go all-out and whip up a spreadsheet with some the data we've gathered, just because I'm a geek with time on my hands :p Find it at this link; it's freely editable, so please add in any missing data or correct any errors if you are so inclined :)

I finished the thaumium. Also, you need to extend it a bit, maybe move some stuff off to the side to allow for easier expansion. I'm currently editing in about 10 more lines for more data.

HungryHiPPo

Jul 29, 2019
Posted this on another thread, but it applies here as well:

I can't believe so many people test this stuff (I think korsovan got it closest?) and get it so wrong. Although it could be that since I'm playing on hexxit, the mod is somehow balanced differently, and I plan to test it (unless someone else running FTB can confirm my results.)
Anyway Bows:
If we're looking for max damage, but aren't concerned about rate of fire, then the only stat that matters is the fly speed. How can you test this? Make a bow with .2 fly speed(stone bound usually) .5 fly speed (paper) 1 fly speed (wood) and then 1.2 fly speed (slime or steel or a number of others)
Then use the exact same arrow shooting a mob without armor and compare results. You should notice the damage go up and it in no way correlates to the bow damage value (which I assume is there for whacking mobs with your bow.)
Now, of course rate of fire comes into play, and the a close second for me is durability so for me, the ONLY OPTION for a bow is a green slime bow which has 1.2, faster draw speed and great durability. The only modifiers I would consider are red stone and pistons. Also, I should note that once my pack gets updated and I can use flamestring, I absolutely will since it has the highest fly speed at 1.5 or something like that I believe I saw from an earlier post.

Arrows:
How hard is nether quartz to get? I mean really? I was running around for 1/2 an hour and had stacks of the stuff. You step foot in the nether and it's the 2nd most common thing behind netherrack. This, imo, is the only modifier you should be using! It adds crazy amounts of damage to your arrows! You can add it to a whole stack of arrows! What arrow should you be using? Well, for me, the slime bow shoots even the heaviest arrow, malyuhum(w/e) pretty damn far and pretty damn accurate. Enough so that if I was only using these arrows, I would be able to compensate pretty well. Here's the thing though, the modifiers add so much damage, and there's no durability, so you should actually be using a paper rod for the extra modifier! Please note, I don't have thaumcraft installed, so perhaps thaumium is lighter/more accurate. If it is, by all means use that instead. But please don't use cactus! I checked, jagged does nothing. I even went as far as trying to add durability to the arrows using diamonds and emeralds, and tried to give durability to the arrow by hitting mobs in melee with it. Guess what, arrows are unbreakable, even if you add durability to them. So jagged does NOTHING. Now, if you use a maly head and paper shaft, add two modifiers and load the arrow up with nether quartz, you get an arrow that shows an amazing 13-26 damage! I was criting mobs with no armor for over 50 damage on the regular using my slime bow! But, it gets even better. I can't believe I haven't seen anyone test paper arrows. That's right, PAPER! With a paper arrow, maxed out, you can get a crazy 12.5-25 damage on the arrows! From paper! On top of that you get a high 86 (88?) % accuracy, and one if the lightest arrows to boot! This is the clear winner for me since paper is obviously so easy to come by.
Fletching:
From my tests, doesn't matter. Anything other than feathers adds weight, but such a small amount it shouldn't make a difference. Even still, I go with feathers since they're the lightest, slime a close second and oak leaves are very easy to come by, so they're a good option as well.

Oh ya, you can also melee mobs with these arrows and do 25 damage to mobs without any armor and get the slight knock back effect of punching and same speed as punching. Love these arrows.

tldr; slime bow w/ flamestring if that's an option, otherwise enchanted(assuming it doesn't reduce arrow speed) string or regular and paper arrows with maxed nether quartz.
Also, sorry if people test and get very different results in FTB! I'll try to test later this week in FTB as well.

Thanks, and happy stabbing! :D

-Edit

Was just looking at a spreadsheet that has most data values, and it looks like the enchanted string does reduce arrow speed, so don't use that. Also it looks like a thaumium arrow head has not base damage then paper and still allows for max modifiers, so I would use that for the head and paaper for the shaft if that's an option. However, this won't effect the total damage by too much (if at all) so it may be worth testing to see if you do in fact get more damage. Accuracy looks better though.

Reactions: AlanEsh

HungryHiPPo

Jul 29, 2019
This stuff was settled long ago.
we know all this stuff. and a lot of it is in this very thread if you cared to read trough it.

Interesting considering there is no paper/paper arrow in the google doc and no thaumium head/ paper shaft in there either. I did read this thread. In its entirety, and you made some very good points, but you didn't touch on a few key ones, and got a few other ones wrong. Maybe you should re-read my wall-o-text.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Posted this on another thread, but it applies here as well:

I can't believe so many people test this stuff (I think korsovan got it closest?) and get it so wrong. Although it could be that since I'm playing on hexxit, the mod is somehow balanced differently, and I plan to test it (unless someone else running FTB can confirm my results.)
Anyway Bows:
If we're looking for max damage, but aren't concerned about rate of fire, then the only stat that matters is the fly speed. How can you test this? Make a bow with .2 fly speed(stone bound usually) .5 fly speed (paper) 1 fly speed (wood) and then 1.2 fly speed (slime or steel or a number of others)
Then use the exact same arrow shooting a mob without armor and compare results. You should notice the damage go up and it in no way correlates to the bow damage value (which I assume is there for whacking mobs with your bow.)
Now, of course rate of fire comes into play, and the a close second for me is durability so for me, the ONLY OPTION for a bow is a green slime bow which has 1.2, faster draw speed and great durability. The only modifiers I would consider are red stone and pistons. Also, I should note that once my pack gets updated and I can use flamestring, I absolutely will since it has the highest fly speed at 1.5 or something like that I believe I saw from an earlier post.
This is correct.

Arrows:
How hard is nether quartz to get? I mean really? I was running around for 1/2 an hour and had stacks of the stuff. You step foot in the nether and it's the 2nd most common thing behind netherrack. This, imo, is the only modifier you should be using! It adds crazy amounts of damage to your arrows! You can add it to a whole stack of arrows! What arrow should you be using? Well, for me, the slime bow shoots even the heaviest arrow, malyuhum(w/e) pretty damn far and pretty damn accurate. Enough so that if I was only using these arrows, I would be able to compensate pretty well. Here's the thing though, the modifiers add so much damage, and there's no durability, so you should actually be using a paper rod for the extra modifier! Please note, I don't have thaumcraft installed, so perhaps thaumium is lighter/more accurate. If it is, by all means use that instead. But please don't use cactus! I checked, jagged does nothing. I even went as far as trying to add durability to the arrows using diamonds and emeralds, and tried to give durability to the arrow by hitting mobs in melee with it. Guess what, arrows are unbreakable, even if you add durability to them. So jagged does NOTHING. Now, if you use a maly head and paper shaft, add two modifiers and load the arrow up with nether quartz, you get an arrow that shows an amazing 13-26 damage! I was criting mobs with no armor for over 50 damage on the regular using my slime bow! But, it gets even better. I can't believe I haven't seen anyone test paper arrows. That's right, PAPER! With a paper arrow, maxed out, you can get a crazy 12.5-25 damage on the arrows! From paper! On top of that you get a high 86 (88?) % accuracy, and one if the lightest arrows to boot! This is the clear winner for me since paper is obviously so easy to come by.
Fletching:
From my tests, doesn't matter. Anything other than feathers adds weight, but such a small amount it shouldn't make a difference. Even still, I go with feathers since they're the lightest, slime a close second and oak leaves are very easy to come by, so they're a good option as well.

Oh ya, you can also melee mobs with these arrows and do 25 damage to mobs without any armor and get the slight knock back effect of punching and same speed as punching. Love these arrows.

tldr; slime bow w/ flamestring if that's an option, otherwise enchanted(assuming it doesn't reduce arrow speed) string or regular and paper arrows with maxed nether quartz.
Also, sorry if people test and get very different results in FTB! I'll try to test later this week in FTB as well.

Thanks, and happy stabbing! :D

-Edit

Was just looking at a spreadsheet that has most data values, and it looks like the enchanted string does reduce arrow speed, so don't use that. Also it looks like a thaumium arrow head has not base damage then paper and still allows for max modifiers, so I would use that for the head and paaper for the shaft if that's an option. However, this won't effect the total damage by too much (if at all) so it may be worth testing to see if you do in fact get more damage. Accuracy looks better though.
You may have misunderstood my previous post.

Using Mannalyum is not cost efficient for arrows because nothing NEEDS 25 hearts of damage to kill it. Therefore, doing that kind of damage is a complete and total waste of time and resources.

Arrow Weight is applied against the fly speed multiplier from the bow, so a low weight is paramount. Therefore, since you DO NOT NEED more than about 10 damage out of your bow, you care about weight.

Paper is surprisingly heavy. Slime rods, by contrast, are very lightweight. And there's really no point in loading up extra modifiers when you are one-shotting everything anyways. Therefore, slime rods are a superior arrow component to paper rods.

Likewise, Cactus is the lightest arrowhead of its damage category. And, as you yourself have said, Nether Quartz is flippin' common. So why bother dumping all that cobalt and ardite into arrowheads when you can just use cactus and STILL one-shot enemies? And please note, I'm not suggesting you use cactus for the jagged property, I'm suggesting you use it because it is the lightest material you can use for the arrowhead. Which means your arrows fly faster and straighter.

Show me an enemy you can shoot that you will be regularly encountering that needs 25 hearts of damage to kill, and you'll have a point. However, that sort of damage output is simply unnecessary.

If you just want to use nether quarts on arrows, just load up a stack of cactus head/slime rod/feather fletching arrows with all three modifier slots with nether quartz. You've still got overkill, but your arrows will fly far faster and straighter. But really, there's not much point to putting more than 73 nether quartz on a stack of cactus-head arrows.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

HungryHiPPo

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said, I'm playing on hexxit, where almost everything you're fighting except vanilla mobs have at least 20 hp, and all special mobs have over 100. I know this is a FTB forum (which I love btw) but this was also the most up to date info on this mod, and a lot of other people may be searching and finding this thread as well, and could even have FTB with boss mods added in, so just trying to give the most complete data. If there was a way to get 100 damage on an item I would
Oh ya, on another note, arrows are very common for pvp with any mod pack. So yes, I think a max damage arrow is very important to know about.

GrannyElBacono

Jul 29, 2019
Hey this is quite an old thread but I just started with TCon :p and I did it all legit just for the funs and the best bow and arrow combo I could come up with was Green Slime/ Green Slime/ Enchanted Bowstring
and for the arrows I went thaumium arrowhead/ Paper Rod/ Feather Fletching (Obviously) and for modifiers I went all out to see what I could do. In my opinion Draw Speed and damage are my main concerns so for the arrows I maxed out how many modifiers I could have and filled them up with 504 quartz and the damage comes out at 13.5-27 hearts damage which should take down just about anything. for the bow because I am done with IC2 I used electric for the ease of durability (with gravichest there is no worry about durability at all) and then 250 redstone which maxed the draw speed at .54s which pleased me. I also tried to do it with thaumium as the bows tool rod which was a mistake, even with the extra modifier and 300 redstone on the bow which maxed out .86s.

Reactions: AlanEsh

NoobPlaysMC

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got Thermal Expansion, and Extra Tinkers Construct, use signalum. Automatic .25 Draw speed and arrow speed of twelve. Right arrows/bolts, and you'll one shot a lot of mobs.

Rubyheart

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got Thermal Expansion, and Extra Tinkers Construct, use signalum. Automatic .25 Draw speed and arrow speed of twelve. Right arrows/bolts, and you'll one shot a lot of mobs.
I second this. All my bows get made out of signalum. They are so fast right off the bat that you can't even put redstone on them to make them any faster.