Time to learn AE2!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
D

Daihok

Like the title says its time for me to learn AE2. Any tips and advice would be Fantastic! Now that extra cells2 is out for 1.12.2 hoping the fluid stuff should be comparable to refined storage now. I have both AE2 and Refined Storage in the pack but have never messed with AE2 and want to learn. Any good links for tutorials that you guys Prefer would also be great.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Like the title says its time for me to learn AE2. Any tips and advice would be Fantastic! Now that extra cells2 is out for 1.12.2 hoping the fluid stuff should be comparable to refined storage now. I have both AE2 and Refined Storage in the pack but have never messed with AE2 and want to learn. Any good links for tutorials that you guys Prefer would also be great.
How familiar are you with the very basic aspects of the mod? Do you know about making fluix crystals, and how pure crystals are obtained? I have a few bits of advice I could give but I don't want to go too basic! :)

D

Daihok

Hah! Yea have never once messed with AE2. I have watched a couple tutorials but most a find are just either super boring /to slow and then others like way to fast. I always used refined storage. Have both in the pack I put together but this time i actually want to learn AE2 just so I myself can figure out on my own as to which i like the best. I have seen several debates on it and even started one myself but the only way I will ever truly know is to learn both fully and then make a informed decision for myself.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hah! Yea have never once messed with AE2. I have watched a couple tutorials but most a find are just either super boring /to slow and then others like way to fast. I always used refined storage. Have both in the pack I put together but this time i actually want to learn AE2 just so I myself can figure out on my own as to which i like the best. I have seen several debates on it and even started one myself but the only way I will ever truly know is to learn both fully and then make a informed decision for myself.
Right, OK, I can work with that! :) you'll need some stuff before you can get started. In terms of vanilla resources, you'll want some nether quartz, redstone, iron, gold and diamonds, as well as a few basic things like glass.

In addition to this, you'll need some specific AE2 world gen things:

Ores:
Two ores, Certus Quartz ore and Charged Certus Quartz ore - the latter should have some blue sparkles to distinguish it, its much rarer. You'll want to take all the certus you find.

Meteorites:
If you explore the overworld, you'll find craters containing large balls of black stone, called sky stone. This sky stone can be smelted, and the smelted stone is used to make ME Controller blocks later on, so you'll want some of that, but the main thing you're looking for is the chest right near the centre of the meteorite. This is a sky stone chest, so will be difficult to tell from the surrounding sky stone. In it you'll find 1 or more "presses". Think of these as like a stamping die - you put it into a machine with some metal, and the machine presses that shape out of the metal you give it. In the case of AE2, the pressing machine is the Inscriber and here's the lowdown:
  • There are 4 shapes you need to press (called Silicon, Logic, Engineering and Calculation) - the final products are "Printed _____" (for silicon) or "Printed ______ Circuit" for the other three.
  • Each shape needs its own press, which means that you have to find at least one of each of the presses (so you will need to find multiple meteors)
  • Each press has a material associated with it - Silicon, Gold, Diamond, and Pure Certus Quartz (more on that later)
After you've got the resources you need, you'll get onto crafting stuff:

Silicon is made by grinding certus quartz crystals into dust and smelting the dust; AE2 adds its own Quartz Grindstone to hand-grind the quartz if you need to; it can also be used to create fluix dust. Also note that finding meteorites can be made easier by crafting a Meteorite Compass, though this only points you to the nearest chunk a meteorite is in; also note that meteorites can occur underground.

The printed circuits you make are the first step towards making the final 3 types of processors that are used in almost all of AE2's various blocks. To make the final processors, you need to take one printed silicon, one redstone and one of the three printed circuits, and put that into an inscriber - that will press the three together into the corresponding processor. So you put in a Printed Logic Circuit with printed silicon and redstone, you get a Logic Processor. A logic processor is needed for the most basic of ME storage parts, so you'll be making a lot of those.

I mentioned fluix dust before; this is where we come on to the more complicated crafting mechanics in AE2. There are certain types of resources you need to craft. These are Fluix Crystals, Pure Fluix Crystals and Pure Certus Quartz Crystals. I'll deal with fluix crystals first:

To craft fluix crystals, you need to drop one Charged Certus Quartz, one Nether Quartz and one redstone into a pool of water (this can be a single source block. Within a few seconds, you'll have Fluix Crystals. Yay! (as a side note, I would say on the automation side of things, anything that can pick up entities in a filtered manner, like Actually Additions' Ranged Collector, can help a lot).

Fluix crystals are very handy, and you need them to make the absolute first machine I'd recommend you make: the Charger. This can be attached to a power source or hand cranked with the same crank that you use for the Quartz Grindstone and can create Charged Certus Quartz from normal Certus Quartz. Once you've got that, you don't need to spend forever and a day trying to find the charged variant, as you can make it.

Now we have the Pure variants. These are crafted from 1 sand + the dust of what you want to make (which is generated in a 1:1 crystal to dust) - so 1 certus quartz crystal is ground into 1 certus quartz dust, one fluix crystal is ground into 1 fluix dust, and the same for nether quartz. Yes, that works for nether quartz too. This will make 2 seeds of the appropriate type. These crystal seeds need to be dropped into water and left to grow; at the standard rate, these take about 12 real-time hours to fully mature, and never despawn, so are worth getting started on early. There are machines that can be used to speed this process up: Crystal Growth Accelerators; these need to be placed around the water source block you're using and connected to AE2 power. They use quite a lot of power, but are worth the investment.

You might have noticed that I said you get 2 seeds from one crystal. 2 for 1?! Great! In many recipes the pure variant can be used instead of the normal one, which is lovely, and economical, so it can be worth using. BUT. You cannot grind the pure crystals into dust. So no getting infinite resources from nothing. As a side note, I believe the ME Controller MUST use pure fluix crystals.

I mentioned AE2 power earlier; while the charger I believe can take native RF power, your system is going to need AE2 power to work. You want an Energy Acceptor - this will take RF (also some others I think, don't quote me on this but I believe IC2, Mekanism and RotaryCraft) and convert it into AE2 power.

Once you've got some of these more advanced resources, you're basically ready to get started.

A key thing to remember is this: AE2 has channels. Think of these as data lines. Devices from AE2 take up channels; so an interface takes a channel, a terminal takes a channel, a drive takes a channel (note that a drive can hold a number of storage cells, and always takes 1 channel). Normal cables can carry up to 8 channels, so if you're setting up a small system, that's fine. A storage drive, some terminals, an interface/bus or two, you're ok. Anymore than that, and you need to have an ME Controller, which is a multiblock (rules about building one can be found here). Each face of each block of the controller that can be accessed can support up to 32 channels (you need Dense Cable to carry that many though). So you could have a dense cable sticking out one side, going to all your autocrafting blocks (which I won't get onto at the mo), and another sticking out another side going to your terminals and storage, and so on.

You can't have more than one controller multiblock on a network. They don't explode like the RS ones do, they just won't work :)

Is that a helpful start?

Reactions: Padfoote and Daihok

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
A day? Damn, does the time increase with the stack size or not? I started playing with AE2, too.
As my understanding of the mechanics goes, no. Each seed is a discrete entity which ages at a set rate, so if you throw one in, one pure crystal will be fully mature 12 hours later. If you throw 5 stacks in, in 12 hours you will have 5 stacks ready.

With 5 growth accelerators (the most you can get without finding some way to teleport the items through blocks and into the water) you're looking at about a minute and a half. Note that the default recipe for growth accelerators is fairly cheap - you can do it all with normal fluix crystals, so if you've got the power I'd recommend going for 5 as soon as you can.

A couple of differences from RS: to autocraft items, you'll need a Molecular Assembler block. This can either be given a single recipe (programmed into a pattern item) or, if placed adjacent to an interface, will be used by that interface to craft any of the 1-9 patterns that can be placed into it. The MA itself doesn't use a channel, only the interfaces do. You will also need at least one Crafting CPU multiblock to tell the system to do interface-fed autocrafting. A couple of points: If you had 6 interfaces around a MA block, they can each use that interface to craft with. But only one recipe can be crafted at a time by a single MA. Likewise, if you had multiple MA blocks around a single interface, and your crafting CPU had multiple crafting co-processing units, then a complex task could be split between those Assemblers.

Anecdotally, a ratio of about 1:1 seems to work pretty well; I have mine set up in a 2x4x8 checkerboard pattern (32 interfaces, 32 assemblers), where interfaces are only touching assemblers and vice versa. This takes up 32 channels, and thus can be supported by a single dense cable; however any connection the dense cable makes to any devices other than the controller itself can still only carry 8 channels (as I discovered to my chagrin) so I needed to run the dense cable along the entire top of my setup to make sure they're all connected.

Cable anchors are cheap and easy to make, and help keep cables separated (which can be useful if you want to keep lines separate).

Also, if you're looking up info about small vs big networks, the term the AE2 website uses for a 8-channel no-controller network is "Ad-Hoc", if you wanted to look it up. Smart cables show the channel usage of the network, or a part of the network (very handy); in Ad-Hoc networks, every device on the network will show the channel usage for every device on the network at all points on the network.

Reactions: Daihok and Alexiy

triggerfinger12

Apr 17, 2017
Rock
So, I'm going to go a little bit more in-depth with channels. First, to start, we shall state what a channel is. A channel is a single linked device to the network. Certain blocks, such as interfaces, can transport channels through themselves. For instance, if I were to set up a little automation system with several connected machines, each side by side, and each having an interface connected like this:
(beautiful, I know)
AE2 Explanation 1.png

you would not have to connect a cable to each interface individually. Instead, you only have to connect a cable to one interface and it will give channels to all six, assuming you have the channels available. Fluix Cables and Smart Cables only carry 8 channels, while Dense Cables carry 32. ME Controllers output 32 channels per block face, so one singular controller has 6 faces x 32 channels = 192 total channels. A 3-block controller has 14 faces x 32 channels = 448 total channels. Now, dense cables are a bit expensive, so you probably don't want them to be wired all over your base. There is a way to circumvent this. Now we shall talk about P2P Tunnels.

P2P is short for Point to Point. Essentially, you link one input to one or more outputs to transport different things from one place to another. Things that can be transported by P2P tunnels include, but are not limited to, channels, EU, Redstone signals, and even Light. (Yes, like torch light) The different configurations on what the P2P Tunnel can transport can be found here. P2P Tunnels are linked by the Memory Card. Simply place your input P2P on anything that you want to transport, (for instance, you want to transport channels so you put the P2P on a Controller face or Dense Cable or such.) and shift + right click on the P2P with the Memory card. This should then say something like "Contents Saved" and you know that you did it right. Then, you place your output P2P where you want to output to, and place the necessary secondary transport devices. (like if you were transporting 32 channels directly from a controller face you want to put Dense Cable(s) at the output.) It should be noted that you do need cables to actualize the P2P Tunnel. These can be any cable, but Smart or Fluix cables are preferred.

P2P cables do not use channels, only power. But, you cannot transfer power through the P2P faces (or whatever they're called). So, you can solve this problem by two things: you can add an energy acceptor to the line carrying the P2P Tunnel, or you can connect a cable from the controller. However, in doing so, you may accidentally use channels that you may not have otherwise used. To prevent this, you can first place a Quartz Fibre Cable on the P2P where you want the "power cable" to connect. Quartz Fibre cables only transfer power, not channels. Another Item on the same topic is the cable anchor. These can allow you to run cables side-by-side without them connecting. Facades, which are made from cable anchors, can cover up any exposed cables that you may want to hide. Be aware that they do not form any connected textures, nor do they separate cables.

The Quantum Network Bridge is a way to transport channels over long distances, or even interdimensionally.First Pit a Quantum Link Chamber down in the world, and surround it (vertically, or horizontally, it doesn't matter.) by 8 ME Quantum Rings. You must do this in both the sending and receiving ends. Then, place a Quantum Entangled Singularity in the two Quantum Link Chambers. The receiving end must be supplied with power in order to work. Both ends must be chunk loaded in order to work. (either mechanically, or by a player being in the vicinity.)

This should be a pretty exhaustive list of all things relating to cables and channels, and others can feel free to add on to this/correct some things if they wish.

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I'm a be honest, there's no real reason to use it over RS unless you play a pack without RS. My only advice is to plan ahead, I have played all the two many packs where I crammed all my stuff around a single controller and and ended up running out of channels

Alexiy

Mar 3, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I'm a be honest, there's no real reason to use it over RS unless you play a pack without RS. My only advice is to plan ahead, I have played all the two many packs where I crammed all my stuff around a single controller and and ended up running out of channels
Yeah, I made an acceptable progress in AE2 by now, and it definitely is much slower than RS. Although it has some differences I like. AE2 is suitable for "grindy" players.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, I made an acceptable progress in AE2 by now, and it definitely is much slower than RS. Although it has some differences I like. AE2 is suitable for "grindy" players.

As someone who has been out of the loop since 1.7.10, mind giving me a very brief summary of the differences between the two mods?

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
As someone who has been out of the loop since 1.7.10, mind giving me a very brief summary of the differences between the two mods?

RS is more like AE1, there are no channels, no meteors, no time sinks, ect. the crafter also cuts out the middle mann and doesn't need a molecular assembler. there are also some extra features in RS such as the Portable grid, which is basically a backpack that uses drives, wireless connection isn't locked behind pseudo-singularities, and, while disks are smaller, there's no item type limit, which is amazing.

Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
RS is more like AE1, there are no channels, no meteors, no time sinks, ect. the crafter also cuts out the middle mann and doesn't need a molecular assembler. there are also some extra features in RS such as the Portable grid, which is basically a backpack that uses drives, wireless connection isn't locked behind pseudo-singularities, and, while disks are smaller, there's no item type limit, which is amazing.

Sounds like there are some interesting differences then. Thanks for the summary, I appreciate it.

X

Xenulus

Something I really like about AE2 over RS is the facades. You can run cables in a 1 wide space and cover it up. I'm not sure if RS has a feature like that. AE2 looks better overall and you get more satisfaction once you get everything set up well. I also like the light panels. Light up your base with a cool "technology feel." But RS is simpler and gets you going quickly.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Something I really like about AE2 over RS is the facades. You can run cables in a 1 wide space and cover it up. I'm not sure if RS has a feature like that. AE2 looks better overall and you get more satisfaction once you get everything set up well. I also like the light panels. Light up your base with a cool "technology feel." But RS is simpler and gets you going quickly.
I believe RS uses the generic Multipart thing (made by sawing up blocks) to allow you to hide its cables.