This War of Mine-Help, Venting and Discussion thread

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been playing This War of Mine, and I never usually make it much beyond Day 14. As the game itself gives little introductory guidance, I'm curious as to what sort of strategies people follow.

I usually try to prioritise a metal workshop and a stove on day 1,with my scavenging focus on food and other useful things over materials. How do you usually get going and what things do you take/avoid whilst scavenging?

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I want to play that game but I don't want to be unable to buy my 3DS.

GODDAMNIT, STUFF.

WHY ARE YOU SO EXPENSIVE?!

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
So now that I have this game and played quite a bit of it...

This game, man. This game is so fucking hard, especially the moral decisions. I couldn't get past Day 13 because I kept running out of food, and I wasn't ruthless enough to rob the old couple. I couldn't try to clear or sneak by anywhere - I only had a knife, and I didn't want to get shot. This game punches you repeatdly.

The worst part?

I wanna play it again.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
Getting a game start in winter = you're fucked by RNG

I find getting a shovel and crowbar to be a Day 1 priority, along with at least 1 bed and a stove. If you manage to avoid getting wounded, medical supplies makw for excellent trade goods.

One really useful thing I found recently is that about 14 sugar gets you a can of food from the visiting trader. Sugar is reasonably easy to gather, and if you aren't making booze you can reserve it to trade.

If you're careful enough, you can get to the apartments in Sniper Junction by running from cover to cover between shots. There's usually enough food to feed 4 people for a couple of days and, if you help the injured man, you can get a lot of jewellery too.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, the one thing, the one thing I am always in need?

GEARS.

FUCKING GEARS, MAN! I CAN'T FIND ANY OF THEM, AND ANYTHING THAT'S REMOTELY NECESSARY FOR BASIC SURVIVAL REQUIRES A BUTTLOAD OF THEM!