This topic has multiple questions....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wolf68k

Jul 29, 2019
...none are related to the other.

I've been playing Tech World 2 and I've noticed a few things.

1. Why are there configs for mods that aren't even in the pack and from what I've seen, at least in the public releases, never have been? For example: Thaumcraft, Twilight Forest, Doggy Talents, just to name a few.
I get it's not a big deal and they don't take up much space but to me it doesn't looks professional and kind of confusing when I go looking in the configs and see configs for mods that aren't even included.

2. I updated from v1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and from what I saw of the update info RotaryCraft changed a few IDs. Ok fine, annoying but that's on them. Where I get confused was that the game tells me that ID 3511 and 3112 from JABBA are missing which makes no sense because they aren't and when I look them up in the 1.1.1 version (I always backup the instance folder just in-case) and then in 1.1.2 they are exactly the same.
Even more confusing it that told me at one point that ID 334 was either a mismatch or missing (I forget which), which is vanilla leather.
It also tells me that ID 9281 is missing from factorization and yet that ID wasn't used by anything in 1.1.1 much less in 1.1.2.

3. Why is when we do update does the launcher have basically delete everything in the mods and config folders just to be rewritten again? Now if the mod was updated I get that the config could be written but even then not really since the mod will do that on it's own anyway. But why delete everything to begin with?
This is made further annoying for some of use that might have added an extra mod or 2 or 3 or however many. I add DamageIndicators for example and have to add it back each time.

For some reason I think I had another question but can't think of it now. But this will do for a start.

Last edited:

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
1. Universal Configs.

2. This thread explains those sorts of things about updating packs and should be consulted before updating, as a "just in case this will break my world" check.

3. Current limitation of the launcher. The new launcher will have better implementation of updating mods in a pack without overwriting everything. Whenever it comes out, that is...

Also, this is more of a general questions thread and not a technical support thread, just so you know.

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Wolf68k

Jul 29, 2019
1. So because some other mod pack has Doggy Talents I have to have this config file? Exactly which pack as the Doggy Talent mod anyway?

2. I don't see in thing in that thread that would explain why a mod after it's updated would say there's a missing ID when it's not missing.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
1. So because some other mod pack has Doggy Talents I have to have this config file? Exactly which pack as the Doggy Talent mod anyway?

The idea behind the universal config is that you can add other mods as long as the config is already there. For example the direwolf20 pack doesn't have rotorycraft in it. However, the universal config is already there. So to add that mod all you have to do is place it in the mods folder. You don't have to worry about ID conflicts because that is part of the universal config.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
2) Ya that kind of stuff just happens when you update. The bit about leather is probably some mod fiddling with it, like chisel does with ice. The other stuff is unimportant, it just happens. Heck the first time I updated unleashed I had at least a score of those, they didn't affect the world at all. and that link Tristam gave is a good place to go to see if an update is going to cause problems.

3) It is annoying to have to add stuff back in (I still forget to add damage indicators back and it's been a couple of weeks since I updated.) which is one reason I don't update often. One suggestion is to keep a list of changes that you make, mods added and disabled and config changes and where those configs are (looking at you MFR). Another suggestion made by @Hoff was to set the mods and configs you want saved to read only, then set them back after an update. This may or may not work for you but it is something to try.

Oh and on the universal configs: They are quite possibly the best idea anyone has in modded minecraft, it means that I can add any mod in that giant list into my game without having to play the ID conflict game(hopefully). and they are a godsend to server owners who can now just keep a list of mods that their sever pack has/doesn't have and all you the user need to do is download the mod. No need to make a private pack and have people download it or try to host the configs somewhere else. Of course when everyone switches to 1.7/1.8 all that will be somewhat pointless but for now they are the best we can do.

Last edited: