Things are Disappearing

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mknote

Jul 29, 2019
So, I've updated to MindCrack 8.1.1, disabling the useless mods (Traincraft, Xycraft, Ender Storage) and adding in the required mod (MystCraft 0.9.5, although I'll probably add Thaumic Bees shortly). Trouble is, things have disappeared. Primarily, all of my Extra Bees machines (Isolator, Purifier, etc.) and all of my Mystcraft books! The second is the real killer, as I can just creative in the machines, but all... my... books... Linking Books, Descriptive Books... My portals are broken, too...

Fortunately, I kept a backup because I don't trust the updater (IMO, it absolutely sucks, and I hope the new one is much better), but that really doesn't help if it'll just keep removing these things. I get the little box when I first load up the world that's supposed to tell what the new version doesn't like, but it's just a textless screen with Yes and No buttons, so that's less than no help. What is causing this, and how do I fix it?

Also, all of my config files are reset, so now I have to trudge through them and match all their settings to the last update. This is why I hate updating FTB: so much work.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
FTB's launcher will auto reset all configs and delete all mods that are not in the pack by default when you update it. So I would recommend using multiMC if you are capable (it even allows importing from the FTB launcher) or backing up your entire config and mods folder before updating and spot checking for any changes you need to make.

FTB's launcher is really unfriendly to anyone who likes to alter the modpacks at the moment.

mknote

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I have backed up my stuff and looked for things screwed up, hence my first post. I need to know where to go from here.

And I agree, it's very unfriendly to those who alter modpacks, my main frustration with it.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
When they disappeared the first time did you check all the IDs/configs/mods before hand? Things tend to disappear if anything is out of place. The Yes and No screen has never been very useful to me and I would just backup my worlds before loading, click yes and check to make sure everything was still in place. All I can really recommend is just make sure all your configs match what you had before the update and after without more information, also you do know that mystcraft 0.10.0.0 is out now? No need for 0.9.5.0.

buzyb77

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I was going to say that too about mystcraft also there is a new version of twilight forest as well

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
On the flip side, consider that a lot of people will try to alter the mod pack, make an elementary mistake due to inexperience/incompetence depending on how cynical you want to be today, ruin their modpack installation and want a quick and easy way to restore it. FTB is designed for the masses who are trying to avoid the hassle of doing all the legwork.

As suggested, for anyone building a modpack manually, MultiMC trumps absolutely everything else available. :)

Also, Mystcraft has had a major update this weekend and I suggest updating. The previous version was buggy as hell anyway.

mknote

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the issue appeared to be differing ID values, which I don't understand why those changed, but alas. I know of Mystcraft updating, but I wasn't sure I liked the update... maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I've run into those same yes/no prompts myself as well. Basically, if an update to a mod adds or removes an item ID that wasn't there before, you will get a prompt. I guess that is forge's way of letting you know that changes have been made to the item ID list and to verify before you open your world. If you have only 1 or 2 items, you will actually see the text, but if it is a lot of text, it scrolls off the screen and you are left with nothing, just a yes/no prompt. Not very helpful. Good thing the text is in the launcher window. I've seen this happen to me when updating railcraft from one version to the next and leaving the configs the same.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
The extra bees machines are gone, because their position in the config has changed (they now have their own blocks section). When the new extra bees loads the config, it only looks in the new place, ignoring the old one from the start, so IDs different from the default (like FTB uses) will result in lost blocks. This change comes without the dirt-screen yes/no warning.
Luckily I first loaded my creative test world and noticed the missing machines there, before firing up my legit world.