These specs enough?

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Long story short - Current server we were using is not available anymore, and hosting tends to be more expensive than we're willing to fork our right now.

I have a spare PC on the side that I can sacrifice - setup text-only Debian on it, and run it as a dedicated MC server. Just not sure if the specs are enough.

Anyone with experience can tell me if these are enough to run a 4-5 player Direwolf20 1.12 server?

- Core i3 Gen 3 (not sure on the exact model - can update later)
- 4GB DDR3 RAM
- CLI-only minimalist Debian to avoid overheads - just running java and the bare minimum.

I have 15Mbps of upload bandwidth which goes mostly unused, so should be enough for the purpose.

Will it blend if people don't abuse the chunk loaders, or will lag to kingdom come due to hardware not keeping up?

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I host a small server myself. Though it isn't used by many, I've never had lag problems (except when people or mods screw up.). I'm not sure what the minimal specs are and they are also depended on play style and amount of players. So... I'm just going to list what I have and you can compare that for yourself.

The CPU I'm using is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
One thing is that mine has 8 GB of RAM and I allocated 6 of it to minecraft though it was able to run older modpacks fine when it still had a total of 4 GB.
I'm not sure if the upload speed is enough.
As for OS, its also running Debian without an X server. Small tip: Also install screen and start the minecraft server into that, else you can't use SSH to control it as it will close the server the moment you disconnect from SSH.
As for Java, I'm using openJDK instead of oracle's java, mainly because openJDK is easier to install and so far always worked fine.

I would say the best way to find out is to just try it. At best you have a working server, at worst you will see performance (gradually) drop and thus giving you some time to search for a better solution. I would first check on the upload speed though by hosting a vanilla server and getting everyone online and fly around as that is the hardest potential bottleneck to solve.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Your answer is exactly what I needed to hear :D

And yeah I know about screen and all that - I know my way around Linux - but thanks for the tips nonetheless!

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Turns out it's working nicely so far. I'll source some more RAM so I get a bit more wiggle room.

Reactions: lenscas