Thermal Expansion Sawmill questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Firstly, is there any way of adjusting the outputs from a sawmill. I'd like to make it so that a sawmil doesn't return 100% of the wood (plus sawdust) from a crafted object. Doesn't make total sense. "Uncrafting" the object and producing sawdust should result in less of the initial build material.

Secondly, is the wiki correct that Fences cannot be put into a sawmill, just fence gates? Is that an oversight?

TIA.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
In the sawmill, anything built with planks will give you planks back. Sticks don't give any resources back. So since fences are built with sticks, no resources. Gates have 2 planks, so you get those items back plus sawdust.

I do think that placing fences and ladders in the sawmill should just give you a couple piles of sawdust. :)

I don't think there is a way to change the output of the sawmill.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Ah, totally forgot that Fences are made from sticks. In my last game play, my quarry hit an abandoned mine, so I had plenty of fences, so never needed to worry about building them.

I agree about getting just some sawdust from them.

Brewster1972

Jul 29, 2019
It would appear that the new trees added in ExtraBiomes cannot be processed in the sawmill either. I now have a huge stack of redwood logs that I was hoping to run through the sawmill for the output bonus.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
You want to know why you get saw dust? Go get a wooden door IRL. Use a saw to cut into planks. By you logic, you shouldn't get sawdust. Yet you will. It's practically impossible to cut wood without getting sawdust.

DoctorCube

Jul 29, 2019
You want to know why you get saw dust? Go get a wooden door IRL. Use a saw to cut into planks. By you logic, you shouldn't get sawdust. Yet you will. It's practically impossible to cut wood without getting sawdust.
Yes, but you'd never be able to take those same planks and get back a door of the same size; With the sawmill we can and then get extra dust.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
err, not querying why you get saw dust.

My query was to adjust the return from the sawmill, so you don't get 100% of the wood back. Otherwise, if you needed a ton of sawdust, just autocraft a door and loop it back and forth.

One thing I'm not keen on in a lot of these tech mods is being able to gain infinite resources. That was one of the big problems of EE2, and there are more and more ways of almost achieving the same effect in FTB Beta.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at least saw dust is only good for charcoal, and its infinite production costs 1920 MJ per Charcoal. The version listed on the wiki has the Boat as the only thing you can loop through, get all the planks back out of it, AND get sawdust from it, so it looks like infinite loop exploits are mostly dealt with.