Solved Thermal Expansion Sawmill - No Planks Just Sawdust?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Title [SOLVED] Thermal Expansion Sawmill - No Planks Just Sawdust?

Launcher Type Twitch Desktop App

Modpack Infinity Evolved - Expert Mode

Modpack version 3.0.2

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue I've been wanting to make fences and other materials out of various woods, including the Witchery woods, but since you can't just make planks in a crafting bench, I made a Thermal Expansion Sawmill. But no matter what wood I throw into the sawmill (even vanilla), all it ever does is crush the logs into sawdust. NEI shows that planks are what the sawmill makes, not sawdust. I'm sure sawdust is intended to go alongside planks in some way, but it looks to me as if NEI expects planks to be the primary product, going into the red output of the sawmill. The sawdust is going into the yellow output below while the red output stays empty.

Why is it doing this?

I've looked but cannot find a config file, so I don't know if I can even fix this myself. Nothing online that I've found shows any special thing you need to do with the sawmill to get planks instead of sawdust, including one video that showed someone in expert mode make a basic one (like I have), set it up, and instantly have a crap ton of planks.

I just don't get it...

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You shouldn't have to do anything special at all. The fact that NEI shows planks (and you've seen it in a video) is a good sign: there's no outright bug with the crafttweaker scripts.

That said, we should rule out the stupidly obvious stuff first
1) Did you tweak any scripts?
2) Do you have any containers or pipes that might be extracting your planks?
3) Does the problem persist after you restart the game?
4) Is 3.0.2 the latest version of the pack (I have no idea)

If nothing above helps at all, I'd start brute-forcing the problem: back up your instance/world, and delete the scripts file, and see if it starts magically working. Of course, after you do that, everything else will be totally broken with your world, so make sure you do that backup cuz you'll need it.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks for replying.

1) Nope, the only thing I've tweaked is the broken config file for the Forestry For Minecraft backpacks that rendered them useless. I wouldn't expect that to be related.
2) ...I don't think so...? I'll check here in a minute. There are no pipes connected, so that would leave TE's auto-extract/export feature--though iirc, that requires an upgrade. I haven't put any upgrades into my TE machines yet, so if I'm right on that, it wouldn't be doing that either. The sawdust was never removed from the secondary output, so that also tells me that's likely not the case.
3) Yes, it has persisted after a restart.
4) According to the Twitch launcher, yes. I don't know how long ago the modpack was created (It's running on 1.7.10, so it may have been made a long time ago), but there haven't been any updates since I installed the pack around New Year's.

I'm not sure just what you mean by the "scripts file." I'm guessing that's not the config file for TE? I've rarely done anything to tweak modpacks before, and then only ever while following instructions very carefully since I know I could screw something up worse than it was in the beginning.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
...Wow, thanks for the quick checklist on the obvious. #2 was it. Apparently it's been exporting all the planks to the Forestry Carpenter next to it but not exporting the sawdust. I thought that required an upgrade and that it would export all the products if any rather than just some of them. But I guess it defaults to export the secondary output from the bottom, which in my case is sitting straight on a marble slab floor.

My troubleshooting skillz bow to your superior wisdom.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame