the point of Gregtech picks

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
so i started playing FTB resurrection and i was wondering is there actually a point to the lower end Gregtech picks, they take more resources to make and seem to be just as useful as vanilla pick. Do they have more durability? can they be easily repaired? are they anything other then a harder pickaxe to acquire? if they do anything special go ahead and let me know as im sorta new to this mod.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the Gregtech hardmode recipes aren't on by default in Resurrection. I don't think you can make an iron pickaxe with them enabled. Also, if its the same as 1.5, stone pickaxes have half durability in hardmode.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
so i started playing FTB resurrection and i was wondering is there actually a point to the lower end Gregtech picks, they take more resources to make and seem to be just as useful as vanilla pick. Do they have more durability? can they be easily repaired? are they anything other then a harder pickaxe to acquire? if they do anything special go ahead and let me know as im sorta new to this mod.
One thing that's neat is to take a stack of pick heads and a stack of sticks, and not need to go back to the base to make more picks during a long mining trip. With vanilla, this requires 5 stacks and a crafting table.

You can also make picks out of materials you can't usually, like TC shards, although I wouldn't call them lower end.

Reactions: Pyure

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's because the durability hit is based on (or even equal to) the hardness of the block, and all tool heads have the same initial durability.

This is why mining in the Nether is highly recommended if you want to save on picks :)

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
so a pick used to mine cobble would last longer then vanilla pick but once you start mining ore it wears faster?

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
so a pick used to mine cobble would last longer then vanilla pick but once you start mining ore it wears faster?
no. a gregpick takes more damage from obsidian than cobble and more damage from cobble than sandstone.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
no. a gregpick takes more damage from obsidian than cobble and more damage from cobble than sandstone.
But ore is also harder than cobble, so elkillo is basically right.

The "longer than vanilla" depends on the material the pick head is made of.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
for example if both are made of iron would the greg pick last longer or the vanilla pick? (keep in mind the vanilla nerf isn't on by default).

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
Let's see... GT iron pick has a durability of 25600, and IIRC the hardness of cobble is 100 (ore blocks is 150), so you get 256 uses. Vanilla iron pick has 251 uses according to the Wiki, so if you break cobble or softer blocks only, GT durability is higher (but of course you use 4 iron ingots until you have a bending machine). Netherrack hardness is 20, so a GT iron pick lasts 5x as long there.

If you take the time to smelt the iron to wrought iron (durability 38400) you get about the same durability for GT wrought iron and vanilla iron when breaking only ore blocks, and 1.5 times as much for cobble.

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
ok thanks =D. im trying to not use anything other then the greg tech items and blocks as i have never used the mod before. this imformation is useful thanks.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
One tip would be to use a pack purpose built around GT, Resurrection is a sorry drooling homunculus of a classic FTB pack, GT is only in it because it was in Ultimate and GT was much less intrusive then (still bloody intrusive) and it worked back then but not now.

I hear Beyond Reality is a good GT pack, but TBH I haven't played it my self as I would rather hammer rusty tacks in to solid granite with my skull then try GT again. But those tho like the kind of pain only GT can bring, they praise Beyond Reality rather highly.

I find it funny to see GT fans complain that Resurrection isn't tuned right. If Resurrection is a sort of revival of Ultimate I don't know why GT fans expect all the hardmode trappings to be on.
I don't remember Ultimate being a hardcore pack that revolved around GT... It was the EZ mode everything pack IIRC.

Reactions: PierceSG

Captain_Oats

Jul 29, 2019
GT from Ultimate and GT5 are completely different monsters. GT5 is far far far more intrusive with regards to both vanilla mechanics, world oregen, and technology progression than Ultimate ever was.

Pretty much any other techmod falls into the mid-game GT techtree, so without the hardmode recipes from GT, or some heavy recipe editing, mods like TE or EIO can completely break GT5's progression making most machines from GT up to MV electrical era useless.

GT Ultimate from what I recall just added more endgame to IC2, now GT5 is pretty much it's entire own mod which overlaps IC2 in a lot of ways, and is more akin to an overhaul mod ala terrafirmacraft, than a stand alone mode like EIO.

It's not for everyone, but GT5 is really rewarding when played the way it was intended. Beyond Reality as stated does a great job of balancing some of the fun and convenient mods around the GT progression tree. From what I've read Resurrection just added in GT for nostalgia's sake really, with little balancing or buffing of GT's or other mods difficulties to make them on them more coherent.