The first thing....

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Kaboom!

Actually, the O2(l) would probably just spill out from between the rails, and cause anything around that's already on fire to burn faster. Some would stick to the permanent magnets above and below the rails, if they exist. I don't think liquid oxygen is electrically conductive at all (although it is paramagnetic), so it wouldn't shoot out unless it was in a metal container.

Putting a container filled with liquid oxygen in a railgun, on the other hand...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
It would make things burn... although nitroglycerin, napalm, or C-4 would do better.

Which raises the question: Would an explosive charge ramming into something at Mach 7 actually do more damage than a solid metal slug?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Good. Tell me what he thinks; I don't actually know the answer.

I was just thinking about the implications of a railgun slug containing a chunk of weapons-grade plutonium just under critical mass... when it hits something at sufficient speed, the pressure of the impact should compress the plutonium enough that it goes nuclear. Bye-bye, Nagasaki...

NOTE: This was not meant as any kind of insult to Japan or anyone living there, or any indication that I think Nagasaki or any city should be nuked again (which I don't). I referenced Nagasaki because it was the first thing that came to mind, and because the "Fat Man" nuke dropped there was based on plutonium and relied upon physics similar to those in a supersonic collision as described above, as opposed to the "Little Boy" bomb dropped on Hiroshima, which used two separate chunks of uranium. Theoretical nukes? Fine by me. Actual nukes? *insert NO! GOD NO! gif here*