The Compact Base Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Where you successful at beating the compact base challenge?

• Yes! (Congrats if you choose this)

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No :(

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
@jordsta95 We get it that DW20 is not your pack, but it's *supposed* to be noob friendly. Not everyone can jump straight from vanilla MC to BnB. And, the whole point of this challenge is to use a very common pack with common mods that everyone can recognize. It's not much of a community challenge if everyone can use their custom mods.

Now, how about adding *this* to the challenge:

1. Create survival DW20 world
2. Pick any virgin/pristine (not altered by you) 20 x 10 x 10 volume in the world
3. Enclose in glass with yourself inside
4. Fill 1 hopper (5 slots) with anything from NEI cheat mode
5. Trash everything else in inventory
6. Start challenge :)
Hmm... Probably best to build at bedrock level, so you don't need to dig outside the box to use laser drills. So, a laser drill (or a stack of them, because why not), a stack of prechargers, and a creative energy cell to power it. Add a stack of wood to make tools, so you can process any diamonds, redstone, etc. the drill pulls up, and so you can mine out the rest of the box for the cobblestone and any ores that the drill hasn't given you yet.

That leaves one slot open. Hmm... a stack of saplings, so you can get more wood? Birch trees can grow in a 10-block high room, right?

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Probably best to build at bedrock level, so you don't need to dig outside the box to use laser drills. So, a laser drill (or a stack of them, because why not), a stack of prechargers, and a creative energy cell to power it. Add a stack of wood to make tools, so you can process any diamonds, redstone, etc. the drill pulls up, and so you can mine out the rest of the box for the cobblestone and any ores that the drill hasn't given you yet.

That leaves one slot open. Hmm... a stack of saplings, so you can get more wood? Birch trees can grow in a 10-block high room, right?

Great ideas !! However, I'm not sure the Creative Energy Cell is available in survival and even if it is, that kind of breaks the spirit of the challenge.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
You do realize that laser drills are illegal unless there is bedrock inside the base area? (otherwise you are using every block below the drill, including the ones outside...)

anyway, my hardcore sumbission can be found in the similar reddit thread if you are interested to see ( http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2oncwt/the_compact_base_challenge/ )

Well done !!! I really like the extra fluorishes, like Blood Magic, Thaumcraft, and Bibliocraft :)

Also, TiCo for ore processing is an interesting (good) choice.

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... Probably best to build at bedrock level, so you don't need to dig outside the box to use laser drills. So, a laser drill (or a stack of them, because why not), a stack of prechargers, and a creative energy cell to power it.
One of the rules prohibits the use of infinite power cells or sources
You do realize that laser drills are illegal unless there is bedrock inside the base area? (otherwise you are using every block below the drill, including the ones outside...)

anyway, my hardcore sumbission can be found in the similar reddit thread if you are interested to see ( http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/2oncwt/the_compact_base_challenge/ )

That reminds me I gotta put that in the rules. Laser drill beams are in fact a "block" since they travel outside of the box to generate items.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
One of the rules prohibits the use of infinite power cells or sources

That reminds me I gotta put that in the rules. Laser drill beams are in fact a "block" since they travel outside of the box to generate items.

Is it within the rules to cheat-in a bedrock block inside the proscribed volume ?

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
There's no point worrying about the laser drill really. It is trivially easy to build the base at bedrock level, especially since most modpacks use flat bedrock. In the same way, Factorization mirrors require line of sight to the sky (I think) so bases using those (or anything else that needs open sky like some bee housings) would technically have to be built at world height but that is also trivially easy and hasn't been taken into account.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Cannot build outside of the 10w x 20l x10h box

No, technically its allowed. The block you build is the laser drill. Not the beam, all that takes is block destruction outside the area (wich there is no rule about) and even then it could be placed at bedrock. Likewise for trees, there is no rule that says that annything that grows needs to stay within the area. Only that what you build (IE: the sapling). But probably most important, its not specified what kind of world we are talking about. For all we know, its a void age.

Talking about walking the fine lines of the rules. Its time for funky locomotion *trollface*.

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
Is it within the rules to cheat-in a bedrock block inside the proscribed volume ?
Yes,
The challenge does not define what gamemode you need to be in however its more logical to be in creative in a superflat world.
No, technically its allowed. The block you build is the laser drill. Not the beam, all that takes is block destruction outside the area (wich there is no rule about) and even then it could be placed at bedrock. Likewise for trees, there is no rule that says that annything that grows needs to stay within the area. Only that what you build (IE: the sapling). But probably most important, its not specified what kind of world we are talking about. For all we know, its a void age.

Talking about walking the fine lines of the rules. Its time for funky locomotion *trollface*.

Anything that relates to your base that needs outside space is considered your build exceeding the limited size.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Still WIP, 5w*10l*10h, trees stay within the "box". Generates alot more resources now, though power generation is lacking. Considering I am only using half the hardcore size I could quite easely go crazy on trees.

Skyqula said:
1Zo1Dzi.png
OEWQrtw.png
kHfMkFS.png

Update, from 160 RF/t to 2384 RF/t
Skyqula said:

Has:
  • Tree farm for Planks, charcoal, apples, sapplings and XP.
  • Boiler + turbine for 2384 RF/t.
  • Laser drill for all ores + auto processing of all ores aswell as gravel to boost the SAG mill.
  • Generates blocks: cobble, stone, stone bricks, obsidian, water, lava, sand, gravel, dirt, clay, netherrack, mycelium, soul sand, red sand, podzel and coarse dirt.
  • Cursed earth mob farm: zombie, skeleton, creeper, enderman, withces and spider. Generates mob essence for auto anvil and auto enchanter.
  • Farm: weed, carrots, potato's, cocoa, pumkins and melons.
  • AE based storage system.

Last edited: