The Compact Base Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Where you successful at beating the compact base challenge?

• Yes! (Congrats if you choose this)

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No :(

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
COMPACT BASE CHALLENGE

Now most people have tried to build the biggest most spacious base that comes with many of features, but seldom do I see people try to make a compact home challenging their ingenuity of fitting the most stuff in a small space.

The Main Challenge
Can you make a base that is self sufficient (Provides food, generates metals/resources, and power itself) within 10w x 20l x 10h block area. This challenge is in the Direwolf20 1.7 pack utilizing all of the mods at hand.
Added challenge-HARDCORE compact challenge
5w x 20l x 10h
Your reactor can't save you now :3

Do you have what it takes?

Rules:
No Solar Panel(s)
Infinite Power Cell
Cannot build outside of the 10w x 20l x10h box
Must power itself continuously without any outside help
Generates resources (Dusts, ores, ect.,.,.,.,)
Provides food (Like a farm or mob drops)
-----​
Example of size of area you have

This is my own attempt at making a self sufficent base (More pictures later)

HARDCORE CHALLENGE
5x20x10
The size is pretty much like an ant farm base but would look really neat depending on how you set it up

/\
Just for the more visual people there is an example

Stuff to try to cram into your base
(As well points to encourage you to add more stuff!)
(P.S Pictures would be fun to show how you make your compact base as well)
XP Machine/w liquidxp storage-1pt
Mob Farm-1pt
Ingot Creation (Like use laser drills for ores then process them automatically)-1pt
Storage system/Autocrafting(AE2)-1pt
Automatic plant/harvest plant farm-1pt Per Plant type
Types of Energy you are make-1pt Per kind (Factorization charge, RF, MJ, and EU) possibly a few others
Style-No points on this but the extra mile on making your compact base is noticed by others
Any extra challenge suggestions are welcome!​

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds awesome! I'm definitely gonna try it.
You said no solar panels but I suppose solar mirrors are fine?

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds awesome! I'm definitely gonna try it.
You said no solar panels but I suppose solar mirrors are fine?
Yes on solar mirrors and this is why
Solar panels can generate up to 512EU/t that makes kinda dumbs down the challenge only being 1 block
Now Factorization solar mirrors are allowed since a boiler require multiple blocks to produce a decent amount of steam that you can convert into a good amount of RF/EU.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Alright
this is quite messy but it gets the job done:
2014-12-08_00.12.01.png
Half the thing is taken up by the reactor and turbine :D
It produces around 14k RF/t, of which 10k are sent into a laser drill with six yellow foci. It actually does produce a surplus of yellorite ore along with many other types of ores.
2014-12-08_00.12.16.png
2014-12-08_00.13.55.png
Ore processing and meat cooking:
2014-12-08_00.14.16.png
Not really necessary, but the cyanide is being reprocessed:
2014-12-08_00.14.01.png
For food I have a bunch of chicken sitting on top of a hopper, which feeds ino a dispenser with a timer, occasionally spawning baby chickens. Once they grow up the grinder takes care of them. The extra feathers are collected by the vacuum hopper.
2014-12-08_00.13.37.png
And last but not least a TE workshop:
2014-12-08_00.14.24.png

The reactor would be able to power a lot more turbines, its control rods are sitting at 84%.

So this setup is producing infinite ores and cooked chicken and about 4k RF/t. You could probably squeeze out a bit more if you optimize the reactor and turbine setup.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Big Reactor, MFR laser drill, crop/animal farm of choice = done. Doubt you need more than perhaps 1/4th of the space available with that setup.

Reactions: fyCrafter

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
Stuff to try to cram into your base
(As well points to encourage you to add more stuff!)
(P.S Pictures would be fun to show how you make your compact base as well)

XP Machine/w liquidxp storage-1pt

Mob Farm-1pt

Ingot Creation (Like use laser drills for ores then process them automatically)-1pt

Storage system/Autocrafting(AE2)-1pt

Automatic plant/harvest plant farm-1pt Per Plant type

Types of Energy you are make-1pt Per kind (Factorization charge, RF, MJ, and EU) possibly a few others

Style-No points on this but the extra mile on making your compact base is noticed by others
Any extra challenge suggestions are welcome!

fyCrafter

Jul 29, 2019
Hardmode Challenge:

AdSUKVw.jpg

av9fza5.png

6d7I0YR.png

t0UREip.png

The Laser Drill makes enough yellorium for the Reactor so it never shuts down.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Can I just suggest not forcing people to use a certain pack... Personally I think the DW20 pack is the worst pack on the FTB launcher, and would do whatever I could to avoid it.
I understand the argument "but certain packs have more/less", which is fine. Wouldn't it be cooler to see what other people could do with other mods? For example, I could make:
A skeleton spawner (using Soul Shards Reborn), that is also used as a mob farm for bonemeal -> bonemeal soybeans -> food -> cullinary generator (x64) -> power base (and mining laser)
Which would be within your limits, and do it all in the Let it End pack, not even using 1/20th of the mods :p

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 contains most of the most popular mods so you have a vast field of possibilities.
Go ahead and submit your entry :)

Reactions: TDarkShadow

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
DW20 contains most of the most popular mods so you have a vast field of possibilities.
Go ahead and submit your entry :)
But the DW20 pack is the most BORING pack I have ever played :p And it is also crammed with the most OP stuff, and a fair few redundant mods... I will make a ranting thread one day (which will probably get deleted shortly afterwards)

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Whether the pack is boring doesn't really matter in this challenge. You're doing it in creative anyway.

You aren't forced to play DW20. We get it that you dislike it. Go ahead and make a thread but please keep your rant within there.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Whether the pack is boring doesn't really matter in this challenge. You're doing it in creative anyway.

You aren't forced to play DW20. We get it that you dislike it. Go ahead and make a thread but please keep your rant within there.
I don't care if it is a creative challenge or not. Just that forcing players to download a pack they will never use again, is pointless.
And as I said, there are probably mods in other packs which aren't in DW20 which would void a challenge completion, let's say I use a pack with compact machines (I think it is called) that means I can have on of them in a 1x1x1 room, and have 64x64x64, which would be a perfectly "legal" way to complete the challenge, but it isn't in DW20, so it would not be counted?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree that DW20 isn't one of the best or most balanced packs and I personally don't play it, it serves kinda well as a foundation for this challenge because you can do many things but it's not as pointless as using compact machines.
It's probably up to the OP. I personally see no problem in using non-DW20 mods as long as it doesn't invalidate the challenge.

When you play a HQM map and finish all the quests you'll probably never use it again either would you? So you say it's pointless to download it?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
While I agree that DW20 isn't one of the best or most balanced packs and I personally don't play it, it serves kinda well as a foundation for this challenge because you can do many things but it's not as pointless as using compact machines.
It's probably up to the OP. I personally see no problem in using non-DW20 mods as long as it doesn't invalidate the challenge.

When you play a HQM map and finish all the quests you'll probably never use it again either would you? So you say it's pointless to download it?
Depends on what the pack is. But yeah, apart from Agrarian Skies (CBA to wait for all the cobble) any HQM pack I play, I don't play once I "beat" it.... But there is the argument of the story behind it. That is why HQM packs work, you have to "finish the story". I don't like rewatching movies/rereading books, because I know the ending, and it's less enjoyable. Same goes for packs, once you have done everything, why continue? But there is nothing stopping you enjoying it before it's been completed

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
I don't care if it is a creative challenge or not. Just that forcing players to download a pack they will never use again, is pointless.
And as I said, there are probably mods in other packs which aren't in DW20 which would void a challenge completion, let's say I use a pack with compact machines (I think it is called) that means I can have on of them in a 1x1x1 room, and have 64x64x64, which would be a perfectly "legal" way to complete the challenge, but it isn't in DW20, so it would not be counted?
If you had the choice of picking a pack what would it be? I chose Direwolf20 pack since there is a good amount of people playing it, decent amount of good mods, and balanced configs(Like efficiency on the air compressor (The BC looking engine that takes pressure from pneumaticcraft) is 40% meaning there is always a loss of energy instead of creating an infinite energy loop.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
The efficiency is default...
And I just have a massive hatred against the DW20 pack. Just because it is popular, it doesn't mean it's good. It's sort of a "basic" mod pack, so all the configs are noob friendly...

Reactions: Chefbarbie74

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
This got me thinking if a compact base like this would be possible using thaumcraft and thaumcraft add-ons. This might be able to be paired with botania for the ore generation, but these mods are really space heavy. The infusion altar could effectively fit in a 5x5x5 area, although instability might be a bit of an issue. You would have to make heavy use of the crystalizer to keep the essentia in a nice compact storage form until needed. A mana bean farm could supply you with the essentia you needed, although with this little space, mana beans would be slow to grow in the mass quantities needed. The metals could be duplicated using alchemy, although I don't think there is a way to make shards or diamonds.

A small little tree farm feeding a munchdew and endoflames could be used to feed an orechid to produce the other ores needed. Pairing this with a couple well grown nodes should be enough for the average thaumaturgist to survive.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@jordsta95 We get it that DW20 is not your pack, but it's *supposed* to be noob friendly. Not everyone can jump straight from vanilla MC to BnB. And, the whole point of this challenge is to use a very common pack with common mods that everyone can recognize. It's not much of a community challenge if everyone can use their custom mods.

Now, how about adding *this* to the challenge:

1. Create survival DW20 world
2. Pick any virgin/pristine (not altered by you) 20 x 10 x 10 volume in the world
3. Enclose in glass with yourself inside
4. Fill 1 hopper (5 slots) with anything from NEI cheat mode
5. Trash everything else in inventory
6. Start challenge :)

Reactions: TDarkShadow