The Best and Simple Mining Turtle Tutorial - Faster than Quarry!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VerlisWolf

Jul 29, 2019
I found a program that is faster than the buildcraft Quarry (unless it is at full power, but then its only a bit slower) I do not take any credit for the program, all credit goes to AustinKK. He made an incredible program that lets you get amazing amounts of resources within an hour of starting. His video, however, is over 30 minutes long and doesn't have a good explanation of the collection system. I show the program, an efficient collection system, and how it works.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
One turtle is not faster than a quarry at full speed but 4 turtles are and the cost of a quarry is closer to 4 turtles. Quarry includes chunk loader though. I've used Austin's script for awhile now it's great.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1. Its nowhere near as fast as a quarry
2. It takes roughly 3 to be as fast as a Quarry (why would you even compare it to a non full powered quarry? By that logic a wooden sword could outlast a diamond sword (if the diamond sword was about to break))

Ive used it for months now. It is a good alternative and faster when you have 4 turtles going at once, and that fits nicely as 4 is perfect for one spot.

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
Remember that the main cost of a Quarry is in its 11 diamonds. 4 mining turtles would cost more diamonds than a Quarry.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I don't like those programs that only mine every 3rd layer. Whenever I used them they always missed more than half of the ores.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Mine never missed any ores.[DOUBLEPOST=1375030456][/DOUBLEPOST]
Remember that the main cost of a Quarry is in its 11 diamonds. 4 mining turtles would cost more diamonds than a Quarry.

Youd start out with one turtle and it would find the rest of the diamonds.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You should try writing a better mining turtle yourself. This one is way outdated and you can do better.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
I would happily use turtles - what pushed me away from them and toward quarry, which is nowhere near as satisfying, is that on server crashes the turtles sometimes lose their identity, their fuel and their upgrades. I had turtles named North, South, East and West and had them positioned pointing those directions around a shared chest. above the shared chest was my diamond transport, void pipe for cobble, dirt, etc., and finally an ender chest to get the stuff back home. Works great until one or all lose their identity.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
You should try writing a better mining turtle yourself. This one is way outdated and you can do better.

Yeah, like where? You also said you had a mining setup much more extreme than a redpower frame quarry, direwolfs mining well setup, or a BC quarry, but then said 'i dont want to tell people about it because its just too powerful'.

So if you have a better turtle script, let's see it.

VerlisWolf

Jul 29, 2019
With the "Faster than quarry" statement, I took that from Austin's video. Also the resources to make the engines to power the quarry start to add up and creating a system for a quarry is a bit more complicated. I prefer this since you just simply slap down the turtles pop in the code and with a compact sorting a storage system, done in a few minutes. The purpose of the video is to condense Austin's video and show how you can make the gathering system simple.[DOUBLEPOST=1375064420][/DOUBLEPOST]
I don't like those programs that only mine every 3rd layer. Whenever I used them they always missed more than half of the ores.

depends on the program, this one checks the ores and misses almost nothing

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
To me, until turtles can harvest rocky princesses, they will be subpar to the set-it-and-forget-it quarry.
My personal server also reboots once daily (as a precaution since it is on a ramdisk), something which a quarry can recover from (in my experience of watching my buddy use a turtle, they cannot survive a reboot).

All the wasted bees when using turtles are very....saddening. :(

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
To me, until turtles can harvest rocky princesses, they will be subpar to the set-it-and-forget-it quarry.
My personal server also reboots once daily (as a precaution since it is on a ramdisk), something which a quarry can recover from (in my experience of watching my buddy use a turtle, they cannot survive a reboot).

This and not getting obsidian are the big drawbacks, true. I play on a gregtech enabled server though, so getting turtles going is much cheaper than a quarry is. Also requires a lot less power.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019

You can have turtles make save files so that they know what they were doing when the game closes. I made a cactus farmer turtle that would reset itself without needing GPS. I am planning on improving the save functionality so that instead of merely resetting itself by moving back to the start point it can actually resume from the point it actually was last at when the game switched off. I am pretty sure about how to do it to I just need to come up with a logical save file structure and practice making the turtles read files longer than one line.

Also some practical advice that anyone might take from my observations with the cactus farm. Turtles have a movement animation, obviously, but they seem to register there new position at the start of the animation process rather than when its finished. That might be bleedin' obvious to some of you but I just put it here in case someone finds it useful.

VerlisWolf

Jul 29, 2019
This and not getting obsidian are the big drawbacks, true. I play on a gregtech enabled server though, so getting turtles going is much cheaper than a quarry is. Also requires a lot less power.

Turtles get Obsidian with a Diamond Pickaxe one

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles are a beautiful thing.

Even if you're too cheap to use a diamond pickaxe (what other picks can you use in the post-redpower era?) obsidian is really, really easy to get by transmuting wood.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
With the "Faster than quarry" statement, I took that from Austin's video. Also the resources to make the engines to power the quarry start to add up and creating a system for a quarry is a bit more complicated.

10 Stirling engines is super cheap, and WAY overkill for one quarry. Systems for quarries are also super simple, probably more simple than this. Set your pipes on the quarry going into your storage system. Done.

Quarries are better, and hammers are also better.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Turtles get Obsidian with a Diamond Pickaxe one

You wont get much obsidian with the script i use though, because with Austin's script the turtle goes to bedrock and then mines upwards. So even if you dump water down the initial hole it makes, for some reason it wont turn the lava to obsidian and then mine it. Even mining underwater, I would get hardly any obsidian. I asked Austin if there was a way to make it mine the top layers and then move down (which would let the water get to the lowest layers) but he said no, unfortunately.

How are 10 stirling engines overkill for a quarry? Using power converters, quarries run at about 30 mj or so at full speed, thats what i usually shoot for. 10 stirlings is 10mj, is it not?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You wont get much obsidian with the script i use though, because with Austin's script the turtle goes to bedrock and then mines upwards. So even if you dump water down the initial hole it makes, for some reason it wont turn the lava to obsidian and then mine it. Even mining underwater, I would get hardly any obsidian. I asked Austin if there was a way to make it mine the top layers and then move down (which would let the water get to the lowest layers) but he said no, unfortunately.

How are 10 stirling engines overkill for a quarry? Using power converters, quarries run at about 30 mj or so at full speed, thats what i usually shoot for. 10 stirlings is 10mj, is it not?

If you don't use landmarks, it gets to bedrock pretty much instantly.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
about 15 mins without landmarks. If i couldnt use landmarks id still be pumping 30 mj to it i think.