Thauncraft 4 aura nodes can grab us since when ???

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I've just started a new serie with a modpack that content Thaumcraft 4 in MC 1.7.10, its not a FTB pack but since the forums of the pack don't really answer any questions because there's not enough people on it, I think I could ask the question here since basically all the mods involved in the pack I'm playing are also in DW20 1.7.10 new pack.

I'm beginning to explore the map and never touched Thaumcraft 4 yet, but I keep dying at the same spot of the map, I noticed there's an aura node there and it grabs me and keeps killing me by dropping me from the air, is there any config files I could tweak to disable that behavior or something ??? I can't play the game anymore with that on.

Thanks a lot, the pack I'm playing is called Utopia3 from the AtLauncher if it can help you out.

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Only hungry nodes exhibit this behavior, and I believe they are a 1/200 chance for an aura node. The vast majority of nodes you find will not exhibit this behavior.

I believe the spawn chance for special nodes (hungry, sinister, tainted) can be tweaked in the config.

You can deal with hungry nodes by avoiding them or encasing them in obsidian, which they cannot consume.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Padfoote

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so I've dealt with this one in creative, took care of the bastard, with the new progress with Tinkers Construct and Iguana Tweaks, I've lost a few tools in a backpack that are quite hard to replace, since you have to work with them to make them more effective, its an awesome system, but now you don't want to loose your precious tools anymore.

Can we totally prevent hungry aura nodes from spawning, don't want to deal with them anytime soon, will have to take a look at config files.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
hitting it with a pick will also destroy them (like any other nodes) though you have to be careful not to get sucked in

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Hungry nodes are rather rare. With the default distribution of nodes, and special nodes, there should be (on average) about 1 of them for every 4km² (the size of a fully zoomed out minecraft map).
They are also, once you get into TC - a source of interesting build options so I'd suggest you have done the wrong thing by destroying it.

You can if you wish edit thaumcraft.cfg to turn off "negative" node effects.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if done correctly a hungry node can actually become one of your best nodes in your world, but it require alot of time, resources and alot of luck from the RNG gods

what you could do is build a dropping setup that will feed the hungry node with crafting tables, make sure this build is very high up otherwise the hungry node will suck it up aswell.

when your node is big enough, be very careful and try to build a 3x3 platform of obsidian below the node. when build, place a Blood Magic teleposer below it, and another teleposer in a tainted biome. link the 2 teleposers with a focus of an area of 3x3x3 and telepose the hungry node to the tainted biome.

now wait for the hungry node to turn into a tainted node, and afterwards jar it up and take it to your base and you now have a beast of a node

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
if done correctly a hungry node can actually become one of your best nodes in your world, but it require alot of time, resources and alot of luck from the RNG gods

exactly. your biggest rng issue being finding one in the first place.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have 25 open crates feeding my hungry node with crafting tables, but I do wonder if it'll go faster if you start dropping stacks of crafting tables instead of 1 each time...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
So that explain why I didn't find all my items after my death, the node eat them, good thing I got rid of that nasty thing (I would have kept it if it wasn't so close to my first projected main base)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
So that explain why I didn't find all my items after my death, the node eat them, good thing I got rid of that nasty thing (I would have kept it if it wasn't so close to my first projected main base)

yea... that may have been one of the reasons why I once ragequitted a world...

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
yea... that may have been one of the reasons why I once ragequitted a world...

I totally understand, especially if you have Tinkers Construct tools with Iguana Tweaks installed, you gain and build nice tools with this, but if you loose them, you may want to commit in game suicide or delete your world, I was lucky and got my main tools back except for a nice shovel (thanks to the fact we just started this world last sunday, we're not too far in game progress yet.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I totally understand, especially if you have Tinkers Construct tools with Iguana Tweaks installed, you gain and build nice tools with this, but if you loose them, you may want to commit in game suicide or delete your world, I was lucky and got my main tools back except for a nice shovel (thanks to the fact we just started this world last sunday, we're not too far in game progress yet.

the thing for me is, I always like to carry everything with me, because I hate having to keep running back to my storage to get my items and tools.
so I store everything in bags and pouches. downside though is, if you die, all your items, tools and armor, and I mean ALL, are at the place where you died.

so if you're lucky enough to make it back to that spot alive, you'll then need to pray to the RNG gods that none of your items/tools/armor drops to the ground when you die.
in my current world I died above a lava lake in the nether... yea, that wasn't so much fun trying to get my items back.
luckily a sponge from openblocks did the trick for me

would be nice if you'd be able to simply shift-right click a grave and it'll automatically give you back your items and such at the same exact slots that you had them, would be very nice if you're in a situation where you're trying to get your items back but a mob is following you and you'd have to quickly re-gear and get your sword back in your hotbar to be able to kill the mobs

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Dying and losing your items isnt a big deal until you start using mods. I am surprised there are less "inventory protector" type things like the poppets in witchery.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
I got my hands on a nice item from Gany's Nether called the Undertaker, its easy to craft once you go in the Nether, its a chest that will drop at your deathpoint and keep all your stuff, I'M not sure if its lava proof or explosion proof yet but it saved me once already, downside is you loose one precious inventory slot since you have to carry it in your inventory at all time. wish there was a better option but for now, I keep this thing on me.

Reactions: epidemia78

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I got my hands on a nice item from Gany's Nether called the Undertaker, its easy to craft once you go in the Nether, its a chest that will drop at your deathpoint and keep all your stuff, I'M not sure if its lava proof or explosion proof yet but it saved me once already, downside is you loose one precious inventory slot since you have to carry it in your inventory at all time. wish there was a better option but for now, I keep this thing on me.

If only it functioned like an ender chest so you could have one back at home, that would be sweet. Might entail a bit of extra work to link them together and the one on your person would always be destroyed but yeah. If I could mod, thats what I would do.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
At same time, it could end up like an OP mod like Morph from Ichun at first it was extremely OP, if there's no reason to avoid being killed or dying in Minecraft because we won't loose anything, there's no real point in playing in survival anymore, I agree that certain items should be protected like the Tinkers Tools, but it could require some special things to keep them when you die, I think there was a mod like that but can't remember the name.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
At same time, it could end up like an OP mod like Morph from Ichun at first it was extremely OP, if there's no reason to avoid being killed or dying in Minecraft because we won't loose anything, there's no real point in playing in survival anymore, I agree that certain items should be protected like the Tinkers Tools, but it could require some special things to keep them when you die, I think there was a mod like that but can't remember the name.
Seeing the Undertaker mod I think it would be awesome you could add mod upgrades to them.
They would take the items of the mod upgrade you have in there, example a stone hammer would take all Tinker Hammers up to stone so it wouldnt be to easy.
So if you have a manllyum hammer you would atleast need 1 full hammer for that.
Or atleast the hammer head or plate.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Twilight Forest adds charms of keeping as loot that can be upgraded to preserve your held item, entire action bar, entire inventory.
Open Blocks has by default functionality that will place your items in a gravestone on death.
The gravestone mod will place your items in a gavestone on death - but includes worldgen (dungeons with an ender boss) and new mobs.
Undertaker places intems in a gravestone on death and looks like a potential lightweight alternative to OpenBlocks or Gravestone mod - you must carry an item to get this to happen.
Thaumic Tinkerer adds (added? I havn't used it in a while) an item that could be crafted and held to get a one shot gravestone like functionality.
Witchery I think might include a poppet that helps rescue your items on death.

I try not to use any of these mods except for Twilight Forest as they feel like a cheaty way of avoiding a base game mechanic, and collecting charms of keeping seems like enough work to validate the benefit of keeping my stuff.

Reactions: PierceSG