Thaumcraft, What is this

snoepeter21

Jul 29, 2019
i saw a kind of black hole and the flux/aura was very high and is spawns coloured whisps.
My question, What is that black hole thing and what does it.
PS. it was near a silverwoodtree

Julian Zhou

Jul 29, 2019
What you are looking at is a dark node that constantly generates flux. The structure itself is a thaumcraft dungeon.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
you will need pure nodes from growing silverwood trees.
post-merge, the type will be the one with higher current vis.
you may need to combine a few pure nodes, then drain the dark node, so when they combine, the dark node will be destroyed because it has less current vis than the pure node. make sure the vis levels are such that the combined node isnt smaller than the originals.

to combine them, you just need to place them close enough together. they will then merge by moving toward each other.
warning: it will produce a LOT of flux, and will drain nearby nodes. big time.

Spacetime Mogul

Jul 29, 2019
Well, or you could profit from it. As far as I know, Angry Zombies (the ones that occasionally drop zombie brains) spawn more often near dark nodes. Zombie brains are a valued commodity as you can never have enough of them when you wanna build something out of Thaumcraft's warded blocks.
You can also enclose the node in whatever blocks you like so that wisps only spawn in the room you created. As far as I know you only need to leave a 3x3x3 volume, centered around the node, free of blocks for wisps to only spawn in that volume. You can then kill off the wisps when they spawn and collect their xp and their wisp essences; which are quite handy if you are just starting with Thaumcraft as they may contain some more rare to get vis aspects.
Seeing by the screenshot that your base is about 500 meters away from that node I would say that you don't even have to bother though. Flux normally only spreads to the Thaumcraft nodes in the next few hundret meters so this flux shouldn't even reach your base. You can of course check that yourself as you obviously got the goggles of revealing. ;-)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you can purify it, you've got a GREAT pure node there. All you need is silverwood saplings i think.
Those nodes tend to be over 600 vis. A new node from a sapling is usually around 80 vis. And without force mitts, Silverwood saplings are difficult to acquire. The time investment of Thaumcraft research for him to understand nodes, plus building a pure node larger than that dark node is quite large. He'd have to invest in the research because ideally he'd need to build he pure node far enough away from the dark node so that he won't lose the pure one from merging too soon.

So in the short term he shouldn't build near that node. In the long term, should Thaumcraft interest him, then maybe it would be worth it to merge this node with a pure one. But he's not at that point.

Reactions: Zelfana

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't bother purifying dark nodes using silverwood trees. You either deal with the flux effects or don't live there. The barrow hill nodes are always fairly large but you can find even larger nodes that aren't dark so there's no need to waste your time on dark nodes.