Thaumcraft "warps" making screen go black

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason, certain Thaumcraft "warps" cause my entire screen to go black instead of just the edges. What I mean by warps is the thing that makes the edges of the screen go dark and the heart beat sound plays. There is no way to fix it, not even restarting minecraft or my computer. The only way I've found to fix it is to roll back my character save.

EDIT: After sitting there for ~30 minutes the black screen went away. During this I can't even access the minecraft menu or any UI elements. How do I stop this?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I believe that @Azanor has added an option to the thaumcraft.cfg to disable the shader effects associated with warp events. Did I dream that? Its worth checking.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Kwequay

Jul 29, 2019
He's usually really good with stuff like that, but I personally would still submit a bug report as I'm sure he'd like to know about it to fix the issue if possible.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. But practically speaking, OpenGl incompatabilities that only manifest on obscure platforms can be very hard to track down and thus fix.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
well, it could be worse, you could crash everytime when a certain warp effect happens while wearing bound armor from blood magic
it has happened several times now for me and the only thing that seems to work is to quickly go into creative before I crash again and wait till the effect wears off

Boundary

Jul 29, 2019
Or get booted from the server every time you go into the sun with the sun scorched warp effect. Not knocking the warp mechanic though, I like it but seems theres a few bumps still.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Or get booted from the server every time you go into the sun with the sun scorched warp effect. Not knocking the warp mechanic though, I like it but seems theres a few bumps still.

perhaps it's a secret warp effect, the warpcrash effect ;)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
There's a known bug in Chromaticraft that makes your screen turn black whenever you're looking at a block that opens ChromatiCraft's HUD if you've had a warp event at any time since you started Minecraft up. In v3a, this also happened when you held an Elemental Manipulator (the mod's wrench/wand thing) because it has its own HUD; that part, fortunately, was fixed sometime before the current release (v3d). Reika knows about it, and says it's fixed in v4.

However, this only causes problems when you're looking directly at one of the few dozen ChromatiCraft worldgen blocks that has a HUD, including ores, runes, crystals, plants, and many of the blocks in the pylons. The craftable blocks are fine, and it doesn't keep you from looking at your inventory or interacting with anything. So this isn't any of the bugs mentioned in this thread, but I still thought I'd throw it out there.

(Alo, the white Chromaticraft crystals and pendants clear Flux Flu and other Warp debuffs for free, as well as vanilla potion effects. A handy thing, that could easily be. Just don't forget to take your pendant off before jumping in some purifying bath salts, because it can't prevent the warp events themselves, and if you do, it'll clear the warp ward buff instantly, wasting your salts.)

Zimzyx

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having this problem as well and i don't even have chromaticraft. also i take the warp shaders effects is server side thing? i turned it off the try to solve the problem but it still happens on a server i play on.

K

Kevoc

Depending on whether or not you have Optifine go to options/video settings/performance and turn off fast render

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
If it's gamecrashingly bad:

/thaumcraft warp [your username] set 0 PERM

It'll set your permanent warp score to 0. The only reason I can see for this being bad is if you're actually roleplaying your way through Forbidden Magic progression or something...

H

Hilminator

For some reason, certain Thaumcraft "warps" cause my entire screen to go black instead of just the edges. What I mean by warps is the thing that makes the edges of the screen go dark and the heart beat sound plays. There is no way to fix it, not even restarting minecraft or my computer. The only way I've found to fix it is to roll back my character save.

EDIT: After sitting there for ~30 minutes the black screen went away. During this I can't even access the minecraft menu or any UI elements. How do I stop this?
Actually I had the same issue and in my case it was caused by the "unnatural hunger" debuff. After the 3min duration everything went as it was before. Usually this shouldn't happen I guess :D

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Last post was May. Doubtful the original poster or the previous Necromancer still has the issue (seeing the post before yours, I would say definitely not).