thaumcraft scaning

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
what items to scan on the start? i have allready got the life aspect and beastia but how do i get human aspect by scanning?

Xheotris

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't up to date, but it's still really helpful in finding out what order to find the @#!&% aspects for Thaumcraft. They way they're interlocked seriously makes me want to fly off the handle every time. I mean take a friggin pirouette off the handle and start flapping my wings as I soar into the sunset.

If you quickly want access to all the aspects, but don't want to combine aspects in the research table (unless it's really necessary), then follow these Guidelines.

First, research these in order:
  1. Torch --> Lux
  2. Stone, Cobble --> Saxum
  3. Coal --> Potenia
  4. Bedrock, Bowl --> Vacuos
  5. Research: (Aqua + Terra) --> Victus
  6. Seeds --> Granum
  7. Gras --> Herba
  8. any Wood --> Arbor
  9. Trapdoor --> Motus
  10. Iron Ingot, Ore --> Metallum
  11. Potion of weakness --> Mortuus & Praecantatio
    • or alternatively:
    • Research: (Victus + Perditio) --> Mortuus
    • Mossy Cobble, Chiseled Sandst. --> Praecantatio
  12. Chicken --> Volatus & Bestia
  13. Soul Sand --> Spiritus & Vinculum
  14. Paper --> Cognito
  15. Rotten Flesh --> Humanus & Corpus
  16. Flint --> Instrumentum
  17. Wool --> Fabrico & Pannus
  18. Cake (Item) --> Fames, Messis & Sano
    • or alternatively:
    • Apple --> Fames & Messis
    • Milk Bucket --> Sano (not a requirement for other aspects)
  19. Obsidian --> Tenebrae
Then research these (no particular order necessary):
  • Snow, Ice --> Gelum
  • Blaze, Obsidian Totem --> Alienis
  • Diamond --> Lucrum & Vitreus
    • or alternatively:
    • Gold Ingot --> Lucrum
    • Glas --> Vitreus
  • Slime --> Limus
  • Fence Gate --> Machina & Iter
  • Ethereal Essence --> Auram
  • Zombie, Skellington --> Exanimis
  • Spider Eye --> Venenum, --> Sensus
  • Any Hoe, Farmland --> Meto
  • Arrow --> Telum
  • Leather, any Armor --> Tutamen
  • Any Pickaxe --> Perfodio
  • Tainted Goo --> Vitium
  • Research: (Aer + Aqua) --> Tempestas
Anybody (who sees some value in these guidelines) is free to include them in their own Guide, repost them, or do whatever they want with it.

SuperMR

Jul 29, 2019
This isn't up to date, but it's still really helpful in finding out what order to find the @#!&% aspects for Thaumcraft. They way they're interlocked seriously makes me want to fly off the handle every time. I mean take a friggin pirouette off the handle and start flapping my wings as I soar into the sunset.
wow, thanks you helped me a lot

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
I always use the table and unlock a bunch of secondary aspects before I go scanning, it just means I have to make less trips to get everything scanned.

Reactions: Quesenek

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
I always use the table and unlock a bunch of secondary aspects before I go scanning, it just means I have to make less trips to get everything scanned.
+1 this is how I do it and it makes things go a lot faster because your not met with the unknown aspect message.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

This is good advice.

In fact you can almost get all of your aspects near the beginning (after scanning water, stone, sand, cobble, and charcoal) just by making them in your research table.

1: Start at the top of the aspects list, and work your way down.
2: If you get low on basic building blocks (like Aer, Aqua, Ordo.. etc) use a Deconstruction Table to make more)
3: ???
4: Profit! Scanning is now for actual research and knowing what to toss into the alembics and cauldron to make stuff!

YMMV, but this is how I start Thaumcraft (well, after getting a wand and a book LOL)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This is good advice.

In fact you can almost get all of your aspects near the beginning (after scanning water, stone, sand, cobble, and charcoal) just by making them in your research table.

1: Start at the top of the aspects list, and work your way down.
2: If you get low on basic building blocks (like Aer, Aqua, Ordo.. etc) use a Deconstruction Table to make more)
3: ???
4: Profit! Scanning is now for actual research and knowing what to toss into the alembics and cauldron to make stuff!

YMMV, but this is how I start Thaumcraft (well, after getting a wand and a book LOL)

More "cheating" tips from me. Gosh, I'm really not a cheating type of person! I guess Thaumcraft brings out the worst in me. LOL

http://sourceforge.net/projects/superclick/

That's perfect for #2 above. I used a tower of five hoppers connected to the Deconstruction Table... filled with stacks of crafting tables (do your research, you'll see those are pretty much the best to use) and that little handy freeware program right there. Set it and walk away, come back an hour later. :D

Edit to add: You can't automate the Deconstruction Table... but don't ever tell a Minecrafter that something can't be automated. Right? :)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
More "cheating" tips from me. Gosh, I'm really not a cheating type of person! I guess Thaumcraft brings out the worst in me. LOL

http://sourceforge.net/projects/superclick/

That's perfect for #2 above. I used a tower of five hoppers connected to the Deconstruction Table... filled with stacks of crafting tables (do your research, you'll see those are pretty much the best to use) and that little handy freeware program right there. Set it and walk away, come back an hour later. :D

Edit to add: You can't automate the Deconstruction Table... but don't ever tell a Minecrafter that something can't be automated. Right? :)
I thought about doing this but I thought that after using the ultra cheaty aspect site to tell me which aspects I needed to connect in the research I thought I might as well do something manually lol.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I thought about doing this but I thought that after using the ultra cheaty aspect site to tell me which aspects I needed to connect in the research I thought I might as well do something manually lol.

Fair enough, a man with a conscience. A rare commodity these days. :)

You know why I did it? I didn't want to add a hundred thousand button presses and further reduce the lifecycle of my poor old mouse. :D I have no problem doing mindless tasks, I just set a youtube video playing on one half of my monitor while I play Minecraft in the other!

A heavy object on the mouse button worked perfectly well with AE's hand-cranked Quartz Grindstone... but Thaumcraft has to be difficult. :)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Fair enough, a man with a conscience. A rare commodity these days. :)

You know why I did it? I didn't want to add a hundred thousand button presses and further reduce the lifecycle of my poor old mouse. :D I have no problem doing mindless tasks, I just set a youtube video playing on one half of my monitor while I play Minecraft in the other!

A heavy object on the mouse button worked perfectly well with AE's hand-cranked Quartz Grindstone... but Thaumcraft has to be difficult. :)
At least you only have to research the items once lol.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
why is my motus aspect is water+air? is it new? or my thaumcraft is messed up

There's a few like that. It changed a couple of versions ago, making most of the flow charts and cheat sheets wrong. Same with tempestas and I think arbor aswell?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, just look at the aspect list on wiki and scan things you don't see, slowly working your way up the tiers.

You could consider it cheating, but so is asking the forums.