Thaumcraft Room

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShameWillFollow

Jul 29, 2019
I recently started getting into some Thaumcraft and built myself a nice room in which to do my magic. You could probably say I'm in the middle tier as far as research goes, as I have just discovered basic flux research, tallow golems, etc. Like I saw in a video, I decided to have a tallow golem automatically empty my alembics and put the essentia into a chest. This setup works fine for now, but I'm wondering if there are any improvements that can be made.

For example, I know that if you have warded jars next to a marker block, the golem will deposit the essentia into the jar. From here, this essentia automatically "fuels" the infusion altar. While this seems like a great option, do people really have a wall of 50+ jars with essentia in them? The way I have it now, I just grab the essentia from the chest and throw it into the cauldron when I need it. Maybe there's somewhere in the middle that will work well, such as having only the most used essentias being put into jars while the rest go into the chest.

I'm quite new Thaumcraft so any input is appreciated.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
People even have their wall of jar built in such a manner that the golems can fill them by themselves, not needing the player to do it by hand.

Mutabulis

Jul 29, 2019
I have only 10 jars filled, but I keep them stocked with things I know Ill need, 3 motus, 3 puppet symbol, 2 precantio, and I forget what i have in the other 2.

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
I have a jar for most essentias. In fact I started using Thaumcraft specifically to get the jars so I could have all these nice colors in my room. Pretty useful for doing magic quickly indeed.

thaumcraftroom.jpg

ShameWillFollow

Jul 29, 2019
I have a jar for most essentias. In fact I started using Thaumcraft specifically to get the jars so I could have all these nice colors in my room. Pretty useful for doing magic quickly indeed.

thaumcraftroom.jpg

2 questions:
Assuming you are using those golems in the picture to automatically put the essentia into the jars, are the marker blocks just built into the wall on that 4-high wall of jars?
Can the golems reach these jars that are not at their level, or do you need stairs of some kind for them to get up that high?

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I will have 3 walls of at least 30 jars each when I actually get around to that part of tc in this world.

The reason is a lot of items that have rarer aspects or commonly used aspects will have multiple "useless/unneeded" aspects on them. Your options are either to put those extras in jars or in the atmosphere.
Jars are the better option. Also seeing as the mod isn't complete you never know what or when you might need some if those unused aspects.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I have barrels and barrels of various tree, grass, and growth aspects. I had to switch to barrels of phials for these.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
2 questions:
Assuming you are using those golems in the picture to automatically put the essentia into the jars, are the marker blocks just built into the wall on that 4-high wall of jars?
Can the golems reach these jars that are not at their level, or do you need stairs of some kind for them to get up that high?

If you do it in a stair like setup, yes they will climb up the layers. That is how I would/did do it.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I will have 3 walls of at least 30 jars each when I actually get around to that part of tc in this world.

The reason is a lot of items that have rarer aspects or commonly used aspects will have multiple "useless/unneeded" aspects on them. Your options are either to put those extras in jars or in the atmosphere.
Jars are the better option. Also seeing as the mod isn't complete you never know what or when you might need some if those unused aspects.
... or you plonk the extras into a chest (where you can fit the 64 vials to a stack) and keep you wall of colour reasonably clear. Otherwise the "useless" stuff will rapidly overtake.

When I start crafting in earnest, I will probably end up having the golem just put the essentia in a chest and stocking the jars manually. Last time I ended up with about 10 jars of "apple" and a whole load more of ignis (blaze rods were my preferred source of magic).

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
2 questions:

The brown blocks you see near the jars are markers. The makers work if they are below or beside a jar. The 4-high wall of jar is in fact made like a stair so the golems can reach all the jars and yes they do need to be at their level or somewhere they can reach.

To complete what Bibble just said, at the beginning you must supervise the room and don't put empty jars everywhere, I have made it so no jar contains the same essentia. If a jar is full, the golem will put the bottle in the chest.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
... or you plonk the extras into a chest (where you can fit the 64 vials to a stack) and keep you wall of colour reasonably clear. Otherwise the "useless" stuff will rapidly overtake.

When I start crafting in earnest, I will probably end up having the golem just put the essentia in a chest and stocking the jars manually. Last time I ended up with about 10 jars of "apple" and a whole load more of ignis (blaze rods were my preferred source of magic).
All a matter of what you like to look at. I like the look of the different colored jars. If I ever fill all of them I'm sure I will start putting them in chests, I don't see that happening soon though, there just isn't anything that needs mass produced yet as far as I'm concerned.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it is me but a more functional way to design a room is the cauldron in the middle of a room with the golems to help and the altar a bit next to it? Say three blocks away. Then have the walls line with jars and/or chests to help with crafting and such?