Thaumcraft repair pickaxe vs drill?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
So basically the title says everything . So which one do you think is better I have mixed feelings for both.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer the pickaxe atm, just because with efficiency 5, the speed on dirt/gravel etc is manageable, and I don't like taking my quantum chest off for the lappack. I'm not heavily into ic2 on this run, anyway.

Edit: plus the scanning is helpful for targeted mining.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
If you have a batpack and some EU production, I'd go with the drill. The pick's divining rod capability is kinda nice, but for automated ore processing and sorting the native ore chunks can be a bother, particularly if you use an Industrial Grinder for the extra outputs. There is sorta an awkward point between when you get quantum armor and your GraviSuit where it seems weird to take off your awesome chest piece just to mine, but that's a relatively minor annoyance.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
In my humble opinion unless you use the 'unintended mechanic' of enchanting your drill, the pickaxe is almost always better. You can wear a decent chest piece and still have max efficency, you can have silk touch or fortune depending on your tastes, it has the scanning ability and I think the drill animation is weird.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
In my humble opinion unless you use the 'unintended mechanic' of enchanting your drill, the pickaxe is almost always better. You can wear a decent chest piece and still have max efficency, you can have silk touch or fortune depending on your tastes, it has the scanning ability and I think the drill animation is weird.
This, so much. The drill ain't got nothing on the TC pick. I can't believe they "fixed" the enchanting "exploit". It was the only thing which made the 0 chestpiece armor worth it.

The pick is much better, sure, you have to enchant it first. But once you do, then your pick troubles are completely over. Lasts for ever due to repair - which is comparable to drill recharging, just better, because you don't need to go home to let it "recharge". You can enchant it with either ST or Forture with relative ease. (As compared to book enchanting where you can spend stacks upon stacks of books to get a single one) and you can actually use armor with it, that isn't the graviplate.

Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's pretty gimped now. Its only saving grace is that it's pretty good for mining soil type blocks.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I will always pick an enchanted pick of any enchantment, repair or not over a drill. (assuming I actually used ic2)

Resources aren't hard to come by, unless you refuse to use any of the automated mining solutions. e

Since I would always use something too dig out any large spaces needed, even an unenchanted diamond pick lasts me forever

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I use a wand of excavation over anything if I am hunting for minerals.... that thing enchanted up is a beast.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I got lucky on my enchant, and got silk touch, efficiency 3 and repair 2. I eventually plan on using the grinder from GT for everything, so this ends up being perfect. Much better than a drill. I still don't have access to steel yet, so this is a lot easier.. :)

Would love to have a thaumium pick with fortune and repair to complete my needs.