Thaumcraft Hungry node anyone?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BDC1980

Jul 29, 2019
So my friends and I decided to use a couple of hungry nodes for "left overs" trash cans on our server....

We are waiting for them to join and eat the world

Attachments

• 2015-03-18_15.14.39.png
    2015-03-18_15.14.39.png
    2 MB · Views: 119
Reactions: Mindfeak926

rdemay91

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think they will join to far away but that's extremely awesome I haven't found a hungry node since my first 1.7.10 world and you get 2 not fair

BDC1980

Jul 29, 2019
Ya the "merging into a black hole" is kind of the running joke on the server.

These are actually hungry nodes 3 and 4. We already grew 2 of them up to at least 121 of each primal. Then we tainted them and energized them to use them in our base.

We have a pretty crazy automated essentia system we use with blood magic well of suffering and wisp spawners to get the essence. All "overflow" essence gets dumped into the nodes.

Been thinking of doing a video of it... It really is crazy and was a heck of a lot of fun to setup. :D

Attachments

• 2015-03-18_16.28.40.png
    2015-03-18_16.28.40.png
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: Mindfeak926

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Hungry Nodes can make the best energized base nodes. Build an obsidian frame around most of it except for one block, and feed it crafting tables until you hit your desired numbers. Remember that you're going to be getting the square root of the essentia numbers. If I want one quick, I just wait for 144 for 12 of each. That's enough to keep you going a long time. Once you hit around 400 for 20 energized, you hit a pretty dang steep cliff. I doubt I'd wait any longer than 625 for 25 energized under any circumstances.

It's pretty easy to do, actually. You lay down the slabs on top of the obsidian, cap the last hole you were tossing crafting tables into, whack the obsidian with your Wand of Equal Trade to turn it to glass and quickly whack it with your wand with at least 75 of each essentia (barring discounts from your gear) before it eats one to Jar. You can then pre-place your stabilizer and energizer and set/release/turn on quickly.

Reactions: Dentvar

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Hungry Nodes can make the best energized base nodes. Build an obsidian frame around most of it except for one block, and feed it crafting tables until you hit your desired numbers. Remember that you're going to be getting the square root of the essentia numbers. If I want one quick, I just wait for 144 for 12 of each. That's enough to keep you going a long time. Once you hit around 400 for 20 energized, you hit a pretty dang steep cliff. I doubt I'd wait any longer than 625 for 25 energized under any circumstances.

It's pretty easy to do, actually. You lay down the slabs on top of the obsidian, cap the last hole you were tossing crafting tables into, whack the obsidian with your Wand of Equal Trade to turn it to glass and quickly whack it with your wand with at least 75 of each essentia (barring discounts from your gear) before it eats one to Jar. You can then pre-place your stabilizer and energizer and set/release/turn on quickly.
I've heard that hungry nodes will still eat blocks while on a stabilizer, which makes energizing them... difficult. Can you confirm that cracking open a Hungry Node in a Jar already placed between a stabilizer and transducer will reliably energize the node before it can destroy any blocks?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I've heard that hungry nodes will still eat blocks while on a stabilizer, which makes energizing them... difficult. Can you confirm that cracking open a Hungry Node in a Jar already placed between a stabilizer and transducer will reliably energize the node before it can destroy any blocks?
So far as I am aware, once the energizer sucks up all the essentia, it stops trying to suck everything in. It was demonstrated on... I think it was a DW20 Forgecraft episode. Someone used it for a node that produced stupid amounts of essentia and showed DW the trick.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
the funny thing is, if you really want the nodes to eat the world up, just keep teleposing them around the world.
best would be to telepose them close to the ground and wait about half an hour and they'll have eaten a large hole around it.

I actually did that in a test world just for fun, mining with hungry nodes :p

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019

Our pet black holes are being fed a steady diet of crafting tables and ethereal essence (primal flavored). Now that we've gotten a backlog of 4.5k crystallized essential of every flavor they are getting frequent snacks of what gets thrown away as well. It might seem like a steep road to get to 1500+ but it's been a moderately relaxing drive so far. :)

Probably want to use a wand focus that doesn't have the architect upgrade to make the jar too. Equal trade isn't so good at going around corners after you get that one