[Thaumcraft] Bringing MAGIC (The Aura Network) to a Dead Zone?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
Well it just so happens that where I decided to plunk down my base a long time ago, has absolutely no Aura. Nearest node is about 100 blocks away from where I would like my Thaumcraft stuff.

And no, I would not like to extend or move my base. That would just be inconvenient.

I'm aware you can move Aura nodes. I'm also aware you can create them with Silverwood saplings. However I found out that Silverwood saplings don't grow where there's no Aura. Found that one out after Googling when I questioned why it didn't grow for three (real time, not Minecraft time) days.

So does anybody know a way I can move or create an Aura node in my base? I would prefer to create a new one as opposed to moving one, but I assume the only way to do that is plant Silverwoods as close as I can, then force the new node that the Silverwoods created to move to where I want it.

Anyways, I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks. :)

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
You have a couple of options.

You can create Crystal Capacitors, which store Vis, but i don't know if they are able to release Vis if there are no nodes nearby, but they might be able to provide the Vis for the Silverwood Saplings to grow.

You can create a line of Silverwood Saplings from the closest Node to where you want your node to be... But this will take insanely long. And require a lot of Silverwood Saplings, which are difficult to get.

You can create the Crystal Core, and try to move the node closer to your base with that. It has a range of 24 blocks, and pulls the closest Node in that range to it. Creates an insane amount of flux and drains an insane amount of Vis while doing so.

Third option is probably your best option... Plunk the Cluster at the max range for that node, wait for it to pull the node to it, dismantle the setup, wait for the Vis to replenish, repeat. It's going to take a while...

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
You have a couple of options.

You can create Crystal Capacitors, which store Vis, but i don't know if they are able to release Vis if there are no nodes nearby, but they might be able to provide the Vis for the Silverwood Saplings to grow.

You can create a line of Silverwood Saplings from the closest Node to where you want your node to be... But this will take insanely long. And require a lot of Silverwood Saplings, which are difficult to get.

You can create the Crystal Core, and try to move the node closer to your base with that. It has a range of 24 blocks, and pulls the closest Node in that range to it. Creates an insane amount of flux and drains an insane amount of Vis while doing so.

Third option is probably your best option... Plunk the Cluster at the max range for that node, wait for it to pull the node to it, dismantle the setup, wait for the Vis to replenish, repeat. It's going to take a while...

I think I'll try the option of Crystal Clusters and a Silverwood. Come to think of it I remember hearing from someone that they supposedly hold a charge, regardless of the Aura, even if there's no Aura. So I don't know why I didn't think of it, but logically if that's true, putting enough of them around a Silverwood sapling should get it to grow, meaning a Pure Node will immediately be placed where I want, no moving.

Thanks! I'll try this out.

Edit: This may incur more issues than I thought... I think the clusters help the node recharge, but since Silverwood spawned nodes are small, it probably won't link up with any other nodes, meaning my base's Aura will be isolated. So I might have to create more than one, to essentially extend the network so that the Aura flows normally.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
I think you may be confusing the Crystal Clusters with the Crystal Capacitor i mentioned. The Crystal Capacitors are a vis battery, the Crystal Clusters are the crystals you place in the world that help vis regenerate and may infuse a little bit more Vis in a node, but create a little flux in the process. The Crystal Core is the one that moves the node. With such similar names, it's easy to get them confused :\

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
I think you may be confusing the Crystal Clusters with the Crystal Capacitor i mentioned. The Crystal Capacitors are a vis battery, the Crystal Clusters are the crystals you place in the world that help vis regenerate and may infuse a little bit more Vis in a node, but create a little flux in the process. The Crystal Core is the one that moves the node. With such similar names, it's easy to get them confused :\

You're right. Somehow I read where you wrote Crystal Capacitor and my mind thought Crystal Cluster. Still that's what I meant to say I'll try, and I hope it'll work, otherwise bringing Aura to a dead zone is more work than I thought.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that you can still grow a silverwood if there's no aura if you smack it with a hoe of growth. I haven't tested it myself though.

Jharakn

Jul 29, 2019
There's an option of regenerating thaumcraft world gen features through a config setting. That would really be your best bet

Nefroz

Jul 29, 2019
I heard that you can still grow a silverwood if there's no aura if you smack it with a hoe of growth. I haven't tested it myself though.
I can confirm that this does NOT work, on the server I play on one of the guys set up in a dead zone, I headed over with my hoe and the trees would not grow, the hoe would lose durability though.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
There's an option of regenerating thaumcraft world gen features through a config setting. That would really be your best bet

I'm aware of this, but to me that's almost cheating in a sense. I'm not playing on a world that previously did not have Thaumcraft, and my Thaumcraft world generation certainly isn't broken. I haven't been able to find a dead zone anywhere else I even tried looking. For some reason, it's my base alone, out of what's about a 2500 block range, that is the only dead zone.

I instead prefer dead zones to be part of the game, something maybe even meant to be there. Something that, if you decide your base must be in a dead zone, then you must work around one way or another.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
If you look at the Thaumcraft config files, you will see that it permits for Dead Magic Zones to form, they're not a bug.

From the config files:

# How rare nodes are in the world. The number means there will be (on average) one node per N chunks. Nodes are genned with a minimum distance of 64 blocks between them so setting the number to 1 will probably not result in 1 node per chunk.
I:node_rarity=23

Since the average is 1 node per 23 chunks, that means it's possible for ONE node to be generated inside the one central chunk (11 chunks away from all others in N, S, W, E) and for there to be no new Nodes in a 176 radius around that node. It would also be possible for the furthest corner to generate a node, and then there not be any nodes in all the other 22 chunks, meaning you could be as far away from a node (in that case), as 352 meters. It's random, so further distances are STILL possible, because it's an average, not a guarantee, that one node will generate in a 23 chunk area. Theoretically, there can be hundreds of chunks in any direction without any nodes in them, at all. This is often not the case, of course, and there are many areas in which there's a very high node density.