Thaumcraft Alchemy Automation

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried automating alchemy in TC4? I did some initial experiments with a crucible and two golems - a use golem set to drop items in the crucible, and a gather golem set to pick up the products. Unfortunately, while the use golem could place items in the crucible just fine, it couldn't actually trigger the reaction by adding the catalyst. I could have 8 praecantio in the crucible, and the golem would drop two iron ingots in, but all I'd get would be some metallum and ordo in the crucible in addition to the praecantio. I was kind of looking forward to making a big golem-staffed thaumium factory, but now that prospect is looking kind of dim.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Something that emulates a player could work, like an autonomous activator from TE3 or a turtle.

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
I have tried magic mirrors (the hand mirror liked to a mirror above the crucible) and have run into the same situation as you, so I think that it has to be a player dropping items in. as for the activator or tablet, those don't drop items do they?
You could dispenser but those do not have good aim. There is also the item cannon from openblocks.

Last edited:

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Openblocks also has this different dropper that actually drops things downwards instead of vomiting them all over the place. You'd most likely run into the same problem, though.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I admit, I still don't understand how the bloody thing works(the cauldron). I mean, yeah, it's simple enough, add enough of resource X to get the right amount of essentia Y and then throw in item Z and get out your desired object A. But there isn't a difference between when you're adding Resource X trying to get Essentia Y to be right for when you add Item Z. You throw everything in via dropping it. Dunno, I guess I miss the ol' "whack it with a wand when you're done" bit. I liked it since it made automation easier. Not that it was easy, but still.

Maybe the essentia in the cauldron has decayed by the time your golem had put the final item in?

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
I admit, I still don't understand how the bloody thing works(the cauldron). I mean, yeah, it's simple enough, add enough of resource X to get the right amount of essentia Y and then throw in item Z and get out your desired object A. But there isn't a difference between when you're adding Resource X trying to get Essentia Y to be right for when you add Item Z. You throw everything in via dropping it. Dunno, I guess I miss the ol' "whack it with a wand when you're done" bit. I liked it since it made automation easier. Not that it was easy, but still.

Maybe the essentia in the cauldron has decayed by the time your golem had put the final item in?

No, essentia doesn't decay that fast. The crucible was still full by the time the catalyst was added.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
A water stream works to deliver items to a crucible - items fall directly downwards when pushed over an edge by water.
The first trick is to introduce items with sufficient accuracy into the stream and get the stream to deliver them all within the decay timeout.
Anyway, being added by 'falling in' might be different enough to being added by 'being used on' (by a use core golem).

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
A water stream works to deliver items to a crucible - items fall directly downwards when pushed over an edge by water.
The first trick is to introduce items with sufficient accuracy into the stream and get the stream to deliver them all within the decay timeout.
Anyway, being added by 'falling in' might be different enough to being added by 'being used on' (by a use core golem).

Yeah, getting the stuff in the crucible isn't an issue. Getting the components to actually react and create the desired product is.

Golem use core?

Didn't try this, since right clicking a catalyst on the crucible doesn't do anything when I'm doing things manually. If it does work that way, I'd be surprised.

nilness

Jul 29, 2019
Normally with Thaumcraft you have to research something before you can do it. Assuming that applies to alchemy & the crucible, then whatever "player" is adding items to the crucible would have to have the research completed. I'm assuming that Thaumcraft checks each time something is added to the crucible to make sure the player has the necessary research.

I think that means there's not going to be any way to automate this, since golems, etc. won't "have" the research completed. :(

Thoughts?

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Normally with Thaumcraft you have to research something before you can do it. Assuming that applies to alchemy & the crucible, then whatever "player" is adding items to the crucible would have to have the research completed. I'm assuming that Thaumcraft checks each time something is added to the crucible to make sure the player has the necessary research.

I think that means there's not going to be any way to automate this, since golems, etc. won't "have" the research completed. :(

Thoughts?

You might be right. I wasn't standing next to the crucible at the time - maybe it checks the research of players standing next to it when the catalyst goes in? If that's the case, then there won't be any way to automate alchemy unless Azanor adds a way to let golems act as proxies for you when it comes to the research check.

Actually, that could be a neat infusion. Infuse an advanced golem with an alchemy core, a Thaumonomicon, a greatwood wand, goggles, and a full set of robes, with a bunch of fabrico, praecantio, humanus, and permutatio. Then you could have little golems running around with robes and goggles!

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
There's been talk among the modders in our skype group about a mechanical crucible in the future. No promises.

that... that right there.... that's just....

KDZw5dG.gif

perhaps have it so the overflow taint can get sucked into one of those TC3 alembics which will store the liquid taint, which you can then put into phials and have it as a new taint aspect which you could use for recipes and such...

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Like I said guys, don't hold your breath.
It was just in passing mention and it may even require a mod to be visible like AE.
I really don't know anymore than that, including it's inclusion/devving at all.

That's all I'm saying.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
There's been talk among the modders in our skype group about a mechanical crucible in the future. No promises.

Mechanical crucible? But...but...but...golems in robes with little goggles!

Seriously, though, that would be awesome. I could make a thaumium factory, set up golem assembly lines, and even get a nitor factory so I'll never need to use a mundane torch again.

That said, I haven't tried, but are infusions similarly impossible even when a wand is used on the matrix by a dynamism tablet or autonomous activator?