Thaumcraft 4: Taint spread config

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys,
I have 0 in my config file for: biome_taint_spread
This supposedly stops it from spreading.

However I have just found a large area of my server that has been infected by taint. (Two tainted nodes were inside it)

I thought - maybe the worldgen made them.
Ok, thats fine - except that I visually observed fibrous taint spreading from blocks to blocks.

Is the config option for taint spread broken?
Or does it just prevent the taint from crossing chunk boundaries?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Code:
# Can Taint be caused by flux effects.

B:biome_taint_from_flux=true
Could this be a issue? I don't really know that much about taint. I am to used to playing with research on easy and wuss mode enabled. I know that nodes can infect nearby nodes. I don't know what is considered nearby. Always afraid that the hungry nodes and such will spread and eat my world. If the node generates taint the above setting might turn it off. I hope.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
tbh - I am the only one who really plays with infusion, so flux is not likely the cause - and there is no node bullying going on.
I am hoping that the taint config setting to 0 - just prevents it from exiting the chunk boundaries.
Its already a large portion of land that has been tainted- I am using it for Roleplaying - hiding treasure in the corrupted caverns etc

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
Did some basic googling. The taint spread setting in the thaumcraft configuration file will keep the taint from spreading like grass blocks spread. It doesn't keep other sources from generating it. The taint nodes should be what is generating the taint. Not the biome, or the taint that is already there. Taint generation and taint spread are two vastly different things. Taint spread is one taint blocks infecting a nearby block with taint, spreading a little bit like grass, and a lot not like it at all. It can only infect blocks that aren't covered by other solid blocks. It can infect a lot larger range of blocks then just dirt though.

You have in all probability disabled the taint spreading. You haven't disabled the taint generating.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Fibrous Taint is a kind of plant that lives grows and spreads in Tainted Lands Biomes.
It can extend the Tainted Lands biome when it reaches the edges.

This is the process that I believe the setting stops: The expansion of tainted lands biome by fibrous taint. It does not stop the ability to create tainted biome using masses of flux, the primal focus or by tainted nodes - but the taint created these ways will not spread any further.

Baaleos

Jul 29, 2019
Ok - I think im reasonably safe then.
There is a single tainted node in the centre of a large land mass.
I can't see it extending the taint any further than it already has.
As for the fibrous taint - it does spread, but hopfully it wont go over biome boundaries