Thaumcraft 4...I don't get it

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
I simply seem to have trouble finding enough stuff to scan and get research points right off the bat :( Seems like either I cannot scan it yet (plants, trees, the like) or I've scanned it already (stone, ores, etc)...

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
I simply seem to have trouble finding enough stuff to scan and get research points right off the bat :( Seems like either I cannot scan it yet (plants, trees, the like) or I've scanned it already (stone, ores, etc)...
Assuming you did the aspect combination listed in the Thaumonomicon, try scanning a seed.

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
You need to combine aspects in the research table to obtain new aspects to scan new items.

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
What does it mean when appears a glowing dot in the top left of an aspect in the research table? :confused:

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
What does it mean when appears a glowing dot in the top left of an aspect in the research table? :confused:

Nobody's really sure about this, so don't take this as fact, but here's what I've gathered...

When you have the glowing dot by an Aspect on the Research Table, that aspect will automatically refill itself when it runs out - essentially making that aspect infinite. Certain nearby items can cause this to happen (ie: Placing a Air Crystal Cluster near your Research Table will make the Aer aspect glowy)

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
You need to combine aspects in the research table to obtain new aspects to scan new items.

This part confused me. Sometimes I was able to scan an item that I had the pieces for and it would unlock something new. But at least one time I had to go to the table and unlock something in order to scan. It seemed oddly inconsistent. I think it was granum, or whatever...I couldn't scan anything that was alive until I constructed the correct aspect, but I'd had no problem discovering new aspects by scanning all kinds of non-living material.

ZethHQ

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody's really sure about this, so don't take this as fact, but here's what I've gathered...

When you have the glowing dot by an Aspect on the Research Table, that aspect will automatically refill itself when it runs out - essentially making that aspect infinite. Certain nearby items can cause this to happen (ie: Placing a Air Crystal Cluster near your Research Table will make the Aer aspect glowy)
I thought about this and I knew about the crystal clusters but the thing is that I don't have any crystal clusters around my research tables but I have every aspect glowing, I do have lots and lots of bookshelves, it might be the cause.

Here:
0gG1dg6.png

9F2Va4I.png

Reactions: PierceSG

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
I thought about this and I knew about the crystal clusters but the thing is that I don't have any crystal clusters around my research tables but I have every aspect glowing, I do have lots and lots of bookshelves, it might be the cause.

Here: <snip>

Those bookshelves.. are almost definitely the cause. Wow. That's actually pretty neat. And for every aspect, too? Geesh.
But yeah, I noticed that slime aspect of yours is still on the table despite not having any left - I'm assuming that you can either still use it like that, or it'll just regenerate after a time. Usually the Aspect goes away if the research points are depleted.

Tulwean

Jul 29, 2019
yea, it is the book shelves thats doing it, tried it in my test work and i have a few combined aspects with the stars

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
yea, it is the book shelves thats doing it, tried it in my test work and i have a few combined aspects with the stars

dang, and here I was just using crystals
does it matter how many bookshelves you place or is 1 enough?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
This part confused me. Sometimes I was able to scan an item that I had the pieces for and it would unlock something new. But at least one time I had to go to the table and unlock something in order to scan. It seemed oddly inconsistent. I think it was granum, or whatever...I couldn't scan anything that was alive until I constructed the correct aspect, but I'd had no problem discovering new aspects by scanning all kinds of non-living material.
Check your thaumonomicon. It records all discovered aspects and lists how to craft them in the research table. That book is truly your friend for research.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Check your thaumonomicon. It records all discovered aspects and lists how to craft them in the research table. That book is truly your friend for research.

Yeah, I found that out, thanks to a youtube video or a forum post, or something. The problem I had, I think, was in getting Granium (iirc). It takes Victus and terra. I could not scan it, despite having a bunch of aqua and terra (being needed for victus). I had to combine those to get victus, because, I assume, the mod will not let you chain discover...and nothing that I was able to find would give me Victus.

I consider that a failure point in the mod, which otherwise has been pretty interesting. Something, somewhere, in vanilla, needs to have victus added to the list of aspects (if it is, none of the cheat sheets list it). I am running around, happily scanning the world, and suddenly just run headlong into a wall of 'wtf?'. I get it now, and I probably won't have the same problem again, but it's an interruption in the otherwise smooth flow of progression that I've (so far) experienced.

It's probably all there in the manual, to be honest, but that's even more of a wall to climb. It's all really well written exposition (what of it I've read so far), but it's not conducive to smooth gameplay. I haven't actually had to open the book for much (ok..without direwolf's series or some experience with previous versions of thaumcraft, I wouldn't have known to make a wand or a thaumometer...I'll give you that, but without the wand, I wouldn't have been able to find a book either...that parenthetical was too long...)...I have had to really get into the book too much to progress, and having to stop and try to figure out why I can't scan the simplest of items (grass, trees, etc) really threw me off.

Other than that, hey, TC4 is pretty darn cool.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Victus is actually the one combine that the Thaumonomicon actually tells you about, mainly because I think anything that has it also has more complex aspects that you can't learn until after you have Victus (I'll have to verify this later, but it's a good assumption/guess).

Reactions: RedBoss

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Victus is actually the one combine that the Thaumonomicon actually tells you about, mainly because I think anything that has it also has more complex aspects that you can't learn until after you have Victus (I'll have to verify this later, but it's a good assumption/guess).

Even better to know. I like that it's all in the manual. I don't like that I have to have read the manual to play the game. :) Play the game BETTER?, sure...but just to play? :)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Once more mod devs plug into the TC4 api, you'll start having more opportunities for aspects. For me permutatio mainly appears in expensive items that I don't necessarily want to melt down in large quantities just to make a magical item.

Research, Meh. I thinks there's enough aspect opportunities. Crafting is a weak point IMHO.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Once more mod devs plug into the TC4 api, you'll start having more opportunities for aspects. For me permutatio mainly appears in expensive items that I don't necessarily want to melt down in large quantities just to make a magical item.

Research, Meh. I thinks there's enough aspect opportunities. Crafting is a weak point IMHO.
If you have BoP installed, you should check out ash and ash stones (or blocks? I always get them mixed up). They have permutatio on them in decent proportions and is readily available if you find the right biomes.